shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Metalsmiths/Jewellers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
The answer to that is NO.

Old jewellery only wears and thins because it is being worn.

but I think i would take the 'locked in a safe for 25years' with a pinch of salt!

They might just mean it's been down the back of a sofa for 25-years....that sounds more like it!
31.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/30/2006 9:03:01 AM
Author: blodthecat
The answer to that is NO.

Old jewellery only wears and thins because it is being worn.

but I think i would take the ''locked in a safe for 25years'' with a pinch of salt!

They might just mean it''s been down the back of a sofa for 25-years....that sounds more like it!
31.gif
Ditto, and actually "down the back of sofa" is fine too, unless it was "under that sofa''s leg"

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I am wondering about this because I have read of work hardening and that when metal is older it is more difficult to anneal when being worked on by the benchman and is more brittle from age hardening through twisting or banging it, so wondered if this would happen with the alloys in the gold as it is only 9 carat gold if the rings were not being worn thus no age hardening through movement of the metal.

riogems

Shiny_Rock
The polish is probably oxidized. Otherwise, it should be ok.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks RioGems.

Here is the bit from the article:

"
Deforming metals by pressure or impact causes them to harden, at differing rates dependent on the alloy. As it hardens, it becomes less deformable, and more brittle.
Most alloys containing copper will age-harden. This may be apparent over months to years. "

How would the age-harden become apparent would this just be to benchman working with repairs etc. or would the wearer of the jewellery notice anything?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results