shape
carat
color
clarity

Question abou trusting someone to set your stone...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NYbella

Rough_Rock
Do most jewelers allow you to watch your stone being set after they make your setting? I know they do mostly when setting diamonds, but would they do it also with a colored stone? I want to set my stone, but I am also a bit paranoid about it.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what are you afraid could happen?

NYbella

Rough_Rock
I have heard stories of stones being switched before.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a colored stone? What are the chances that s/he will have a stone of approximately the same size, color, shape, and cut (but fake) just lying around?

NYbella

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/1/2006 3:02:42 AM
Author: JulieN
You have a colored stone? What are the chances that s/he will have a stone of approximately the same size, color, shape, and cut (but fake) just lying around?
The chances are slim to none, but like I said, I have heard some things. I was just wondering if most jewelers will let you watch any stone being set.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think many would be insulted.

NYbella

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/1/2006 3:14:44 AM
Author: JulieN
I think many would be insulted.
Well Im not really worried about their feelings, but thanks for your input.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I have heard that many jewellers don''t want clients watching their stones being set as the process can look very brutal. If you want to watch your stone be set then I guess there is nothing wrong with asking, until you find one who will let you watch. It depends on the individual as Julie said, some might be offended, it''s just a case of finding one who will work with you.

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
we watched, and a good thing too. I''m convinced the guy would have damaged the thing if we hadn''t...I seriously doubt they would switch it though--especially if you don''t tell them its untreated or the like.

NYbella

Rough_Rock
Date: 5/1/2006 7:48:28 AM
Author: rainbowtrout
we watched, and a good thing too. I''m convinced the guy would have damaged the thing if we hadn''t...I seriously doubt they would switch it though--especially if you don''t tell them its untreated or the like.

Hey, yes that is another thing too. Once I had a loose diamond that fell out of a ring, and I dropped it off to a well known jeweler at my local mall. When I went to pick it up the whole setting was scratched and there was a gaping hole where the diamond was reset...it looked horrible, so I am concerned about that also.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results