shape
carat
color
clarity

Mother''s Day

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
What are you getting your mom? If you are a mom, what are you getting or want to get?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very interested in reading the responses here. I need ideas for my mom and mother-in law!!!!

I want either a pendant of the number "2" in pave, to symbolize my two children. Or, maybe a couple of stacked bands -- one with blue sapphires and one with pink, for my son and daughter.
9.gif

But, of course, it doesn''t have to be jewelry.
6.gif
I''d be thrilled with something like my kids'' handprints cast in ceramic. They are just growing up way too fast!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m most likely getting engaged mother''s day weekend. So my mom is also getting a 1 carat cushion diamond ring from me, in appreciation of all she''s done for me. :) I''m making the purchase next week and I am so excited!!!!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''m giving my mother a Seiko watch this year that I have owned for about 8 years. It was given to me by an ex-BF but is totally her style, and I rarely wore it. She still wears YG, and the watch is YG-tone and very reminiscent of a style my dad gave her years and years ago (also Seiko). I have an inclination to also throw in a 14k YG bracelet of mind that she''s borrowed over the years to wear to weddings/funerals, etc.

For the past few years I have given her clothing that she''d never have gone out and spent money on for herself, or Lois Hill sterling silver pieces or Swarovski pieces. I think this year I''d rather give her something I know she''ll end up wearing for years and years to come.

BTW, I am not a mommy yet. My DH gives me Mother''s Day cards because we have a dog together, but that doesn''t really count. We''ve never talked about actual M''s Day or F''s Day presents we''d like to have because it hasn''t come up yet! Hopefully it will soon--we''re trying!
6.gif
1.gif

tawn

Brilliant_Rock
I usually get flowers and taken out to dinner. I have to find something for my Mom and MIL and quick, because I have to mail them!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dh jokes now that every day in my house is mother''s day...I get card, flowers and dinner, and get to sleep in...no breakfast in bed though...I would not mind a gift, he used to but now I sometimes get something and show him, see what you gave me for mother''s day?!

What I think is nice and important is for dh to take your kids, if they are not too small, and see him picking something, whatever it is, for you, with their help. My kids love to pick cards for him for father''s day, I pick for my 4 year old, but the older two pick! It is a nice thing for them to do for him. I think the reverse is also true...even if it is just a card, and making something at school for mom!

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Unfortunately, my mother and mother is law have both passed away. I WISH I could spend time with them
7.gif

I have 4 children so my husband is good to me on that day.

We just bought a new car (minivan, not too exciting! But at least I got leather seats LOL.) And since my birthday, his birthday, mothers day and fathers day are clumped together within a 6 week span, we agreed the car was all 4 gifts wrapped into one. Also, my husband bought me a 3 stone asscher ring, almost 2.5ctw and between that and the new car, I don't WANT him to spend any more money on me. I'm quite satisfied :)

But I"m sure I will get some flowers and a nice meal out :)

My kids tend to make things at school in art and cards for me. Those are the BEST gifts. I love getting the homemade stuff from them. My older 2 are in elementary school, and my 3rd child is in preschool and the crafts they make are so sweet. My 2 year old does not make me anything but she is just so darned sweet :)

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I always find getting presents for my parents hard because they don''t really want much, and whatever they want, they can just buy themselves! So, for this Mother''s Day, I''m making my mom a framed picture(s) of DC''s cherry blossoms. In the almost 10 years that my sister and I have lived in DC, they''ve always wanted to see the cherry blossoms but b/c of the fickle nature of those trees, they never can quite time their visit to see them in bloom. Well this year they finally made it up here. A friend had taken some really nice pictures, with the sun shining through trees, etc., so I''ll have those printed in matte, and then put about 3 of them into a nice black and white frame. Then to complete it, I''ll buy cherry blossom-scented lotion too. Is that cheesy??

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
My son is 9. Every year for Mother''s Day he has gotten me a perennial or a shrub for my garden. They''re not too expensive and come back every year. When he was younger his dad picked them out, but for the past 4-5 years or so he''s done it himself (given a maximum price). He takes pride in making sure he picks something in colors I will like (my garden is all purple/pink/blue/white). And it''s also a good memory lane for both of us, "Mom, remember when I was 5 and I got you that blue scabiosa plant...it sure is bigger now."

rainbowtrout

Ideal_Rock
my graduation and mothers day are the same time, and my grandmother and mother will both be here for that. I really don''t know--perhaps bath products or a DVD for mom and some candles for grandmother, who knows.

FI never gets his mother anything
20.gif

Starset

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/28/2006 8:56:49 AM
Author: Logan Sapphire
Then to complete it, I''ll buy cherry blossom-scented lotion too. Is that cheesy??
Absolutely not! Love it!

My mom''s birthday is always within four days of Mother''s Day if not the same day. Now that the three of us kids are grown (31-27-25) we can afford to get them the cool presents like a new computer, a Little Giant Ladder, television.

My mom''s cocker spaniel died right around 9-11 and has expressed interest in the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. My sister has been doing research for a reputable breeder. We broke the news of our intentions to our father last week and his response was - NO! I just got an estimate for new carpet downstairs (Cockers are known to ''piddle'' when over-excited) I think he wants to put the kabash on our plans.

cavpup.jpg

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
My mom passed away last year, she''ll be in my thoughts. My family usually takes me out to dinner. This year we''re going to see Stomp.

AsscherGirl

Brilliant_Rock
I got my mom back in December a new beach bag. My parents are planning to move to the beach this summer, so I thought it was approrpiate!

I don''t know what to get for Fi''s mom. Maybe flowers & we''ll take her out to dinner????

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am getting my mom a new handbag from The Sak. She loves them like I do. We all take her out to dinner. We all celebrate the day, which includes my DH, my daughter, SIL and my two adorable grandkids. I get a gift from my daughter and grandkids too.

Portoar: I am sorry about your mother''s passing. I know the first mother''s day without her will be the hardest. I know when my father past away, a year and a half ago, the first father''s day without him was heartbreaking. I wlil be thinking of you.

Linda

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Portoar, I''m sorry about your mom too. I have lost both my parents. They were both fairly young when they died. But the first mothers and and fathers day without a parent can really sting
7.gif
It does get easier each year, I promise. I still miss them very very much but the sting is gone.

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Monarch, how exciting for you! I hope it happens soon!

Logan, I don''t think that''s cheesy. It sounds thoughtful!

I am thinking of getting my mom some pearl earrings or necklace or possibly making them. She also complimented a 3 strand coral necklace that I made so I might try to find some beads and make her one that is similar. No good bead stores around me though.
38.gif

In the past, i''ve thought of doing flowers for 3 mo. or 6 mo., but it''s pretty expensive. I''ve gotten her a massage + pedicure, various jewelry items...was thinking of a bonsai tree b/c she loves to garden but recently moved to a condo w/no gardening area.

As a single mom, i''ve never gotten much for mother''s day. Usually a handmade card which is great or something made in school. But they don''t do many crafts in his school.
8.gif
One year my son gave me a card which said "Happy Valentines Day".
33.gif
It''s the thought that counts though, right?? One year, we were shopping for a card in the grocery store and he said he wanted to pick something out for me so he did, I didn''t look but paid for it. It was very cute!

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
I bought both my MIL and mother Tiffany & Co. items...

One gets a crystal bowl, the other a silver necklace. (They''re both label girls ;-)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
a donation in her name to Larkin Street in San Francisco [http://www.larkinstreetyouth.org/about/index.php] as she has enough things: the $$$ can help someone who doesn''t have their mother in their life.

movie zombie

Mannequin

Brilliant_Rock
Starset: CUTE PUPPY PIC. I love KCSpaniels.

I already have a small bottle of Philosophy Amazing Grace perfume for my mom, and I am not sure what else I am getting her. Hitting the mall tomorrow, so maybe I can find something else too. Maybe I can find a piece of birthstone jewelry for her (she''s a garnet).

Usually for Mothers Day, my daddy''s side all meets at a local greenhouse/strawberry farm. My mom and grandmother get to pick all their spring plants and flowers out as Mothers Day presents, and then we have lunch afterwards. I always have to start throwing things into the cart for Grandma, she tries to cheap out on us with just a few tomato plants and begonias.
2.gif
My BF graduates law school on Mothers Day this year though, so we are trying to move our greenhouse outing to Saturday instead. I am hoping everything works out!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2006 8:56:49 AM
Author: Logan Sapphire
I always find getting presents for my parents hard because they don''t really want much, and whatever they want, they can just buy themselves! So, for this Mother''s Day, I''m making my mom a framed picture(s) of DC''s cherry blossoms. In the almost 10 years that my sister and I have lived in DC, they''ve always wanted to see the cherry blossoms but b/c of the fickle nature of those trees, they never can quite time their visit to see them in bloom. Well this year they finally made it up here. A friend had taken some really nice pictures, with the sun shining through trees, etc., so I''ll have those printed in matte, and then put about 3 of them into a nice black and white frame. Then to complete it, I''ll buy cherry blossom-scented lotion too. Is that cheesy??
I love your idea - I bet your Mom will love it too!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Holidays are tough when loved ones aren''t here...all of your gifts sound wonderful, most importantly they sound thoughtful and like they are given with love. I AGREE the hand made ones from my kids are the best!!!! (macaroni art anyone?)

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
The three of us children are still students so we don''t really do anything fancy, but we take mom and grandma out for a nice breafast or brunch usually. It''s always a lot of fun because it''s always close to my sister and I''s birthday, so we get to spend a nice weekend together as family with my grandmother there too.
5.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These ideas are all wonderful! I love reading things like this.

Dixie94: out of all the Mom''s Day gifts mine has received, her very favorite was from my brother when he was about 8 years old. (This is so weird--you may not even know what I''m talking about.) We lived on a farm with about 65 acres of woods and pastures, and my brother loved to be outside all the time. He found one of those mushroom-things that grows on trees, it was a half-moon shape about 8"x10", and "painted" it with colored candle wax (I have no idea where the wax came from) to say "Happy Mother''s Day." It is probably the strangest thing I have ever seen, lol! But she still has it, almost 25 years later, on top of the dining room fireplace mantle!

We kids have given her everything under the sun, and that is the one gift that has outlasted most of the others. I get teary eyed just thinking about how some petrified piece of fungus and some wax could make a mother so happy just looking at it all these years!
39.gif
My point in telling you this story is that it''s so funny how those handmade things mean so much to people and when it comes down to it, nothing''s really ever about material goods, but the thought behind the gift and how much love with which it''s given.

OK, done with my Hallmark moment, lol!
emembarrassed.gif
9.gif

jadeleaves

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve gotten both my mum and my MIL a Hermes leather photo wallet and I am planning to put 2 really cute ultrasound pics of my unborn child in it, which they can swop out for pics of their first grandchild when he/she is born!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
Everyone have such thoughtful and original ideas. In the past, I''ve always chip in with my sisters to take our mom out to dinner and buy a gift (either jewelry or purse or wallet). This year I am married and 300 miles away, so DH and I probably won''t be able to go out with her to dinner. I am not really sure what to get her yet.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Well my mom will be at my house watching my two kids while I''m on vacation so I''m going to have to get her something pretty nice. She enjoys gift certificates although that''s pretty generic so I may get her a couple.
For me...well my husband surprised me with a vacation. We are going to Vegas. He''s already going to be there for a bachelor party so I''m flying out with my sister for a few days and then meeting up with hubby and spending another few days. All in all we''ll be out there 6 days. I''m looking forward to the relaxing and the sunning. That''s about all I wish for on mothers day...relaxation and sleep
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results