shape
carat
color
clarity

3.15 round brilliant. Help

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ELL

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your wise advice. In the end, I will just have to wait untill Saturday and see what my eyes tell me about the diamond. I think the price seems good even if it turns out to be an H or I color or a SI2 clarity instead of a SI1. I will let you know what happens. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

P.S. I do have an appointment with the appraiser scheduled.
20.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2006 2:17:44 AM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 4/27/2006 2:02:55 AM
Author: ELL
I agree, they can call it whatever they want but can the put whatever measurments they want on it? If I look and compare the measurments of this diamond is comes out as an ideal cut. Am I calculating it correctly?
no need to guess.you must take this stone to an independent appraiser for advise ''and hurry'' ask he/she to do a sarin or helium scan. you''re laying $20k on the table,get as much information as you can on this stone.
That''s exactly what I said from the beginning. Ya got to listen to us!!
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/26/2006 11:11:17 PM
Author:ELL

I am looking at a 3.15 round brilliant with these statistics. Can you please tell me in what ball park I should be as far as price?
It is a E.G.L. European certed diamond (yes, I know this is red flag)

dimentions 9.51 x 9.46 X 5.81
Polish Excellent
Sym Excellent
56% table
61% depth
crown 14%
pavillion depth 44%
No flourescence
Ok. Forget those numbers. Do they come like this from the lab report ? (there are usually some decimals).
38.gif
As is, they at most tell me that the real stats are somewhere in that neighbourhood... and the unknown optical symmetry of the stone makes any such rough guess even less conclusive. It isn't a bad neighbourhood as far as I am concerned. And the top finish grades still make a nice hint that this one might in fact be quite nice, etc. Any chance the seller might use IdealScope or ASET?

The G/SI1 part may be a few grades off, that's more likely to explain the price than you having received a 30% discount. Rounds are supposed to be more consistently graded, but... that just says a thing or two about what fancies go through.

Any chance you might have the grades (and cut quality, since it was mentioned) checked before the sale becomes final (i.e. during some return policy, if there is one) ? An appraiser could help with that, and the cost of the service is not much at all compared to the value of the purchase.

With this little known about the stone and a handful of important (IMO) open questions left, I don't feel that confident saying take it or leave it. I am no expert... Besides, information is limited to anyone, expert or not, even if many should be able to make a far more educated guess than me.

BTW. about the 'cut neighbourhood'. The picture attached tried to explain what I meant... Since the precise measurements are not known, they probably all anywhere up to 1% give or take from the current (43,5 instead of 44 pavilion, or 44.5.. table easily comes 1% give or take ... etc.). Obviously, this stone does not come with the type of presentation needed to describe it in satisfactory manner online. But then, this doesn't mean anything about the looks and quality of the diamond, IMO
38.gif

As for the quote, there are not too many 3 cts EGL graded rounds on the list, but a couple F-I/SI1-2 come around 20k. So... it looks like the quote you have received is not out of this world. As much as the same honorable database suggests, if your diamond is anywhere better than GIA's standard 'J' color... and no worse than SI2... it would still be good news. Worth the appraisal fee, I would think. Do the inclusions show? If not really, that can only be good news, regardless of which SI the stone turns out to be.

My 2c. To be taken with a grain of salt... of course.

HCAballpark.JPG

ELL

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I get the diamond on Saturday and it is set up on an Escrow account so I have three days to accept or decline the diamond with only losing the escrow fees if this goes south. You made a good point about the excellent polish and symettry hinting at it being a nice stone. I will hold my breath and cross my fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results