shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about my 3 oval diamond ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondgirl06

Rough_Rock
I just recently got a 3 oval diamond ring for my engagement. I absolutely love it and get many complements on it. However, when I took it to an independent appraiser, I learned that the cut on my oval was only a 3A. I was surprised to learn that as all I get are compliments on how much my ring sparkles and how bright it is. As I read this site, I saw everyone recommends a 2B cut or higher, but I don't understand why my ring sparkles so much but is only 3A. The ring was bought by my fiancee on how it looked, it wasn't represented to him that the cut was a certain grade. But knowing that my ring is only 3A, it does disappoint me a little. My question is to the diamond experts on this board--is it possible to have a ring that has a lot of sparkle and very bright, but still be only a 3A?

Here are the stats on my ring: My total ring ctwt for all 3 stones is 1.87
Center Stone:
1.09ct
Color D, faint flourescence
SI1 clarity (eye clean)
Depth:64%
Table: 55%
Girdle: slightly thick to thick, polished, faceted
Culet: closed
Crown Height: 19%
Polish and Finish are both good
Lenght to width ratio: 1.34

Side stones:
.37ct each stone (total ct wt is .74)
Color E, one has no flourescene, one has faint
One stone is SI1 eye clean, and the other is VS2
polish and finish are both good
Ration is 1.34 for each side stone

My setting is cast platinum, and it is standard 3 stone setting with four prongs. It is listed on GIA report as oval brilliant cut.

Is it bad to have a 3A cut diamond?

Thanks.

diamondgirl06

Rough_Rock
OK, I just ran my ring stats through the AGA online calc and found the only stat pushing my diamond into the 3A category is the crown height. According to the AGA calc, my table, girdle, polish and symmetry fall into "1a" and my depth falls into 2B. My crown is in 4A, which I now know makes it impossible to be a 2 grading. Is crown height that important? Does that fact all of my other stats fall into the 1 or 2 contribute to why the diamond is still very brilliant, or is that the D grade of the diamond helping out?

diamondgirl06

Rough_Rock
One last thing. I love this ring, but I do have concerns now about its cut grading--especially for its valuation. My concern is not from looks as I stated above, people comment on its brilliance and brightness.

Would it be crazy to have the ring recut in the future to reduce the crown height to bring into a higher category. Is that even possible? Is it risky to the diamond? According to the AGA chart, if the crown height was 16, with all other stats remaining the same, the cut grade would jump from 3a to 1B--big difference. I have seen on here how people have e-ring upgraded, but I don''t think I could do that b/c I am emotionally attached to this exact ring. But I could live with a recut and not feel like I was "betraying" the purpose of the ring and still feel like I was upgrading.

I have a right ring finger than can always get a diamond, so I would like to keep my original e-ring in place.

Any thoughts on this?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think just enjoy it.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/27/2006 12:09:32 AM
Author: diamondgirl06

One last thing. I love this ring, but I do have concerns now about its cut grading--especially for its valuation. My concern is not from looks as I stated above, people comment on its brilliance and brightness.

Would it be crazy to have the ring recut in the future to reduce the crown height to bring into a higher category.

IMO, yes.

The AGA ables are not a general industry standard, although they summarize the better part of 'folklore' - for now, there is no such thing as cut grades and it would probably take some authoritary institution writing cut grades on their paper to make a consistent difference in prices and value... It would take some sucessful branding by cut to make as it was done for rounds, that count more than significant weight loss from the current 1cts (re. concern about value). I'd rather call AGA a 'badly kept shopping secret' than mass marketing
5.gif
Given that the stone looks good, recut sounds very redundant.

My 2c

diamondgirl06

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the opinion. You are right just enjoy it--its not like I walk around with the label "3A" on it. If it bright and it sparkles, that all that matters. I guess this non-expert got a little worried after reading this message board.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there are some say that ignorance is bliss
2.gif
Sounds like you have a beautiful ring and if you love it that is all that matters. You wear the diamonds not the paper
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results