shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC v. OEC (old mine/ european) and Q about re-polishing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Oldminer if you are out there or any other expert on the older cuts I would greatly appriciate some assistance. The history of the stone I am talking about can be found in this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/needs-help-finding-a-good-custom-platnum-smith.42162/

Anyways, I love the stone and the fact that it has so much sentimental value. I brought it to an appraiser so that he can verify that the stone will be the same stone when it is re-set. However, he suggested that I might get the stone repolished becuase internally there where no inclusions and only had slight surface imperfections. (small spot at the girdle that was still "rough") and where a facet misses the girdle by a miinute amount. Anyways I am probably not going to get it repolished becuase I feel that it is "cheating". I feel that it was hand cut over a hundred years ago and the original cut/polish should not be altered. I was wondering what the feelings are in the antique diamond world about repolishing? However, he said it could go up to a vvs2 if I had it done. ( the value does not go up very dramatically though becuase it is a higher color)

Additionally It is a .98 ct and I really don''t want to loose any more wieght. I was wondering how much weight you would loose if I did opt to get it re-polished. (however unlikely it is that I would have it done)

On a side note I have been trying to get a picture to post but I simply can''t get a good one out of my digital camera, if anyone has any suggestions I would apprciate it. ( I am new to this)

THanks Again,
Dave

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, David, it sounds beautiful.

I'm just a consumer, not an expert, but if it were mine, I wouldn't have it repolished. I don't see the advantage. I very much doubt you'd be able to see any difference, so the only difference would be that you could tell people it was a VVS2 as opposed to whatever it is now (what is it now?). If you were selling it, maybe it would be worthwhile since you could perhaps get a little more money for it, but you're not doing that--you're giving it to your girlfriend. And I personally like a bit of the original diamond skin--I think it's romantic. So why go to the trouble, lose a bit of the stone, and take the slight risk of the diamond breaking while it's being worked on?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/22/2006 5:20:43 PM
Author:familystone
Hi,

Oldminer if you are out there or any other expert on the older cuts I would greatly appriciate some assistance. The history of the stone I am talking about can be found in this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/needs-help-finding-a-good-custom-platnum-smith.42162/

Anyways, I love the stone and the fact that it has so much sentimental value. I brought it to an appraiser so that he can verify that the stone will be the same stone when it is re-set. However, he suggested that I might get the stone repolished becuase internally there where no inclusions and only had slight surface imperfections. (small spot at the girdle that was still ''rough'') and where a facet misses the girdle by a miinute amount. Anyways I am probably not going to get it repolished becuase I feel that it is ''cheating''. I feel that it was hand cut over a hundred years ago and the original cut/polish should not be altered. I was wondering what the feelings are in the antique diamond world about repolishing? However, he said it could go up to a vvs2 if I had it done. ( the value does not go up very dramatically though becuase it is a higher color)

Additionally It is a .98 ct and I really don''t want to loose any more wieght. I was wondering how much weight you would loose if I did opt to get it re-polished. (however unlikely it is that I would have it done)

On a side note I have been trying to get a picture to post but I simply can''t get a good one out of my digital camera, if anyone has any suggestions I would apprciate it. ( I am new to this)

THanks Again,
Dave
If it is an Antique stone, you can get specific points on an antique diamond re-polished... BUT you will need an expert cutter that not only knows on how to cut any diamonds, but antique diamonds (so he will know what to touch and what NOT to...)

Usually Antique diamond collectors prefer to leave things be, unless the damage is significant!!! Chips, extra facets etc, etc are part of the "soul" of these diamonds, and more importantly signs to proof antiquity...

If your cutter or jeweler told you to re-cut the antique diamond in your possession to upgrade it to a "VVS" grade...

In my opinion its the wrong reason to touch a diamond. Especiially when its a 0.98 ct. Value wise it is insignificant!!!!

Good luck

familystone

Shiny_Rock
DiaGem and Glitterata,

Thank you both for you quick responses. I am definately heavily liening towards not re-polishing (even if it was acceptable in the antique trade) and thank you for your input. I wasn''t aware that you could only touch up certain areas though, such as the extremly small spec of skin ( only viewable under the microscope) or the tiny xtra facet that was created by not quite making it to the girdle. Otherwise the appraiser didn''t mention that the diamond had any chips or other identifiable imperfections that I am aware of. However, a few of the facets don''t line up exactly through the megascope but he said that is becuase it was hand cut and very common (nearly always in stones of that size and age). Anyways I tend to agree that theese are all part of the characteristics of what makes the stone unique, and no I am definately not selling the diamond but searching for the propper setting that combines new style with some of the old tradition of the stone so that I can soon propose.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I hope your jeweler didnt convince you to recut it into a modern cut...

And by the way, even today most diamonds are still cut by hand, the only difference is technology and modern precise toolings..

enjoy

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Light repolishing will increase the reflectivity and beauty of the stone. Unless there is a big chip the weight and lost size will be only a couple hundredths of a carat. Nothing visibly different.

The value won''t increase by polishing and the clarity of old stones is really what they''d repolish to anyway, repolished or left alone. Appraisng an old cut one can choose to disrgard light external blemsihes when it comes to value. When it comes to gemological grade, then the surface blemsihes count..... I hope you can understand why one makes decisions on how value and grading might differ in certain cases.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
No I definately am not nor will recut to a modern cut, the old cut is what makes everything about the stone. Re-polishing I was open to if it is going to make the stone look better and hold the character of the stone without loosing substantial weight. At first I was highly against repolishing but thought I would ask about it. Now I am somewhere inbetween after David Atlas coment about making the stone more brillant, but am still most likely not going to do it becuase of the risk of damage or having someone re-polish incorecctly. However, If anyone has a name of a cutter/polisher that speciallizes in old stones with a good reputation I would like to have the option if I change my mind, or consult with about the risks of the repolishing.

Thanks Again,
Dave

On a side note thanks again oldminer for directing me to the old-cut chart

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Any names of antique diamond cutter/ polishers?

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you need to re-polish the "rough spot" on your diamond, take into consideration that usually these rough spots are on the "girdle" of the diamond...
It can slightly change the outline of the shape...

Oldminer is absolutelly right, polishing straight on the facets should not loose any weight, BUT..., if you need to repolish most of the facets on the diamond, be carefull..., as I dont know too many skilled cutters that have the patience or know-how to do the job without any weight loss..., Its an extremely time consuming "project".

And since its so time-consuming i dont believe it will be "economical" in your case...
It might be worth doing such a move on an highly rare expensive diamond...
You must consider the risk that is involved, risk meaning that every diamond that goes back to the cutting wheel is in somekind of danger from improper facet polishing (minimal) to complete distruction of the diamond (god forbid).

I would strongly suggest in your case NOT to go through this ordeal...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results