shape
carat
color
clarity

Needs help finding a good custom platnum smith

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Hi, this is my first post on pricescope however I have been reading as much as I could from the site in the past few weeks. It has been a great help in attempting to identify my diamond that I am going to be using for an engagement ring. Here is a small story on the hisrory of the ring: It was a stone that was originally in either my great grandmothers earing or great-great grandmothers. Either way the stone was passed down to me from my mother as it was given to her by my father who passed away 5 years ago. I am still not positve if it is an old mine cut or an old european but either way I am extremely happy to keep the stone in the family and pass it on to my hopefully soon bride to be. The stone was lost once by my mother during her marriage but was found in the fireplace ashes when she next went to clean the fireplace. (luckily no fire damage though) After my father''s death she "put the ring away somewhere safe" and was unable to relocated for about two plus years. My father passed away around christmass and coincedently my mother was moving from the home they lived in for over 25 years right around last christmass. While in the process of packing up the house to move back to where her brothers and sisters live she found the ring on the top of a kitchen cabinet wrapped up in a paper towl. (ya interesting place for "safekeeping" but. . . thats my mom) Anyways, enough history and on to my question:

I am now attempting to find a platnum smith in the NY/NJ area that can custom make a ring design as I want the setting to be as unique as the diamond. I was thinking of combining the more modern style channel settings and possibley a trellis type prong to hold the stone with a somehwat edwardian style band however less ornate with than the old-style etchings. The ring now is in a simple cathedrial setting with white gold prongs and a yellow gold band. Between the wedding band and the ER I have an additional 13 10 point stones that I can Incorperate into the new setting(s)

I was hoping for some suggestions as to a platnium smith in the area that I could speak with in person that could help me design the ring. My buget is around 2,000 dollars to work with as I had started to save for a ring before my mom approached me with the suggestion on using her ring to carry on the family tradition.

cymbrie

Shiny_Rock
Mark Morrell is in MA I''m not sure he is taking anymore custom projects on, but he''s currently doing our ering and his work is phenominal. I''ve heard Quest does some beautiful work as well

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

familystone

Shiny_Rock
His work appears to be exactly what I am looking for however he states onhis website that he isn''t accepting anymore custom jobs until after May. Unfortunately I would like to propose before that if possible. Additionally I would like to try and atempt to find someone closer to NYC. His work does like great though and if he was accepting new projects it would be worth the drive, so any other suggestions within a 3 hour driving distance of New York would be appriciated.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks again Cymbrie and if you have a website or phone number for quest that would be Great!

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Again Cymbrie I forgot to ask if you have a website or phone number for quest

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leon Mege at Art of Platinum. He may be slightly over your budgeted amount but might be exactly what you are looking for. He''s in NY City too.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the link for some custom rings by Quest

and here''s some by Leon

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Mrssalvo,

Thanks for the suggestion I will definately take a look at the Leon Merge rings, (even if I have to save up a little).

Everyone please keep the suggestions coming as it has been a HUGE help.

Thanks Again,

Dave

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Someone locally recomended la viano''s in westwwod NJ, has anyone else heard any feedback from this jewler? (good or bad)

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Any feedback on D vatche as well???

thanks again all

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Any other suggestions out there?
I am going to the local jewlers (la viano) tommorow and then into the city (NYC) tommorow afternoon to try and find a jewler. I think if Vatache can customize the z-prong with round channels would be great but only if I can change a few aspects of the stock ring. Anyways more suggestions would be greatly appriciated

Thanks Again All,

Dave

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dave, you might try typing in vatch in the search box and see what comes up. that might be the feedback you're looking for. I'm not anywhere local to you so I'm not familar with the jeweler you are visiting. Education is key making sure they don't know more than you do. I personally have worked with 3 pricescope vendors and choose to do business through the internet rather than working with anyone local for me. Hope that helps, good luck..

ETA: if you planning on doing a custom project with your local guy you might want to make sure they can show you a wax so you can approve it. Check and see if they use a cad/cam system for the design too. when doing custom I like to be very involved to make sure the ring comes out exactly how i expect.

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Mrs Salvo,

Thanks again for your help, I will be sure to get a wax before comitting to any custom project. The only reason why I would want to go local as opposed to over the internet is becuase I am not much of an artist and I don''t know if I would be able to sufficiantly explain my changes over the phone. Anyways thanks again for the help

-Dave

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone have any contact information for superbcerts in NY?

familystone

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mexi, just a heads up I conatcted good old gold to see if Vatche customizes their settings and Marie siad that they are usually pretty flexible. I am waitig to here back on if they are going to be able to accomidate my revisions.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results