shape
carat
color
clarity

would you let a friend borrow your jewelry for a special occasion?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
no. i will give jewelry away but not loan it.

movie zombie

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/12/2006 10:40:50 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Date: 3/12/2006 8:57:45 AM
Author: Matatora

It depends on the person...I have friends who know where my things are a can borrow them and just leave me a little note letting me know what they took. As long as I get things back I don’t mind.
I do have other friends whom I do care for very much but their lifestyle of overindulging in drink or going home with people makes it hard to lend them things because the risk factor goes up.

Now I cannot help but wonder if this question was prompted by another thread…
2.gif

yeah Mat
35.gif

when are you going to let me borrow that pendant.
31.gif
When are you getting married?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shay thanks for reassuring me I am not awful!
35.gif

DF, my American BF, I feel too many people have abused Moi and Moi's things, so I do like to share, but not get taken advantage of!
emcry.gif
So there!
13.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 2:28:56 AM
Lorelei,blodthecat
35.gif

i guess brit girls don''t like to share.

Well as Lorelei has already said "bitten too many times"

In other words, "Don''t ask to borrow anything, as a smack on the nose often causes offence"

Blod
31.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
9.gif
31.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/14/2006 10:06:34 AM

It depends on the person...I have friends who know where my things are a can borrow them and just leave me a little note letting me know what they took. As long as I get things back I don’t mind.
I do have other friends whom I do care for very much but their lifestyle of overindulging in drink or going home with people makes it hard to lend them things because the risk factor goes up.

2.gif

yeah Mat
35.gif

31.gif
can you loan it to my mistress?.
31.gif

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
I understand that jewelry is a sentimental thing, but I don''t think there''s anything material that I would have sleepless nights over...it''s just stuff. Yes, sentimental stuff, but stuff. And even if something happened to something that was borrowed, I would NEVER let it alter the friendship...Friends are way, way more important than a piece of metal or rock the world has deemed as valuable.

Now if it were just an aquaintance, absolutely not. But my actual friends? Absolutely (save the engagement ring I''m getting soon...I wouldn''t loan that out...that''s insane).
36.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2006 11:51:35 AM

Date: 3/14/2006 10:06:34 AM

2.gif

yeah Mat
35.gif

31.gif
can you loan it to my mistress?.
31.gif
As long as she pays return shipping.
2.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2006 2:53:27 PM
Author: Angela1977
I understand that jewelry is a sentimental thing, but I don't think there's anything material that I would have sleepless nights over...it's just stuff. Yes, sentimental stuff, but stuff. And even if something happened to something that was borrowed, I would NEVER let it alter the friendship...Friends are way, way more important than a piece of metal or rock the world has deemed as valuable.

Now if it were just an aquaintance, absolutely not. But my actual friends? Absolutely (save the engagement ring I'm getting soon...I wouldn't loan that out...that's insane).
36.gif
This is interesting...for me it's not that jewelry is sentimental but that people who can make GREAT friends 99% of the time sometimes seem to have that forgetful nature or missing gene when it comes to stuff like lending and returning. SO many people are like that! I forget to return my library books, which is why I just don't go to the library anymore.

I think the friendship IS way more valuable, which is why I wouldn't lend out anything I wouldn't figure was lost and not returnable. What if you were to not get something back which was sentimental or special and your friend of 8 years suddenly damaged it, lost it, or kept forgetting for 2 years to return it? To me that's entirely disrespectful of your friend over something that was important to you, and that would bother me. So it would end up affecting the friendship, not even because of the non returned item being material, but the character traits that my friend was showing. So better not to even go there, if I lend something out, I just don't expect to get it back (aka book or sweater) and if it means alot to me then I just don't lend it. Problem solved!!

Angela1977

Shiny_Rock
Mara,
(first, let me say I LOVE your signature...I''d steal it if I could!
25.gif
)
I completely agree. I guess I''m just thinking of my friends, the ones I consider FRIENDS...I would trust them with anything. And if something happened, I know it wouldn''t be their fault. Does that make sense? What I''m thinking is that if I were that close to someone and something inadvertent happened, then that wouldn''t affect my friendship at all. I like making my friends aware that they''re special enough for me to trust them with something precious to me. Yes, it would suck and I would be terribly upset, but not at them. And I would realize that it''s really just someTHING...the intangible in life is much more important...and having a bond with my friends (true friends, not just people I drink with...
23.gif
) would supercede any ill will I have about a lost object.
I''m not criticizing anyone here at all. This is just my take on it. If I had friends that were incredibly forgetful or careless, I''d probably think twice. We just all respect each other so much, I would trust them with anything...

I''m rambling now...must stop!

nytemist

Brilliant_Rock
One a follow-up to this-

My sister just asked me last night if she could wear my ring when she goes out Saturday night. Yes, my engagement ring. Now keep in mind that she is someone I don''t trust as far as I can spit and is extremely self-centered. Of course she didn''t see the problem when I looked at her like she had 9 heads and said no.

I KNOW I''d never see it again if I were crazy enough to do it. Knowing her, she''d pawn it.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I am not really sure if I would. It depends on the person. I am really careful with my stuff and I don''t think anyone else would be as careful.

Even my own sister! She was going to Puerto Rico for vacation and borrowed my sunglasses and a few pairs of shorts.

She came back and I asked her where my sunglasses where and she gave them back to me without the case and scratches all over the lenses and sand and dirt stuck in the hinges, etc.

My shorts were all stain with G*d knows what! I even found a cigarette burn in one of them.

I figure if she is this careless about something that is not even that expensive (although the sunglasses were over $100), how much more if she borrowed something worth more?

Lesson learned here, ABSOLUTELY NONE!

I love my sister and she still borrows thing when she can! I know I am a sucker!

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Never an engagement ring as it was meant for YOU to wear it. Geez, I can''t imagine asking someone to wear their ring. I''ll let people try it on - but that''s it.

That said - I have let people/institutions borrow jewelry for many different reasons. Never had a problem. But, I like to share my stuff.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s just such a tricky line to walk also, aka asking to borrow vs wanting to offer...I mean sometimes I may want to offer up ''the perfect black top for that skirt'' and in that case I''m like well if it never comes back oh well. But expensive stuff or stuff valuable to me in terms of ''one of a kind'' or something like that would be hard depending on the person. If it was my sister and I could just got over and ransack her house to find it, it may be different...but also it depends on how the person takes care of their OWN items, aka how careful they are with them.

My e-ring? NO WAY!!! That''s insane!

msdarlinjoy

Brilliant_Rock
I will let a friend or family member borrow my costume jewelry, nice stuff with sentimental value = No, thanks!

My mom
emlove.gif
or sister
emlove.gif
can borrow anything, they are part of my sentimental circle, that would be the only exception.
28.gif

Have a nice day!
35.gif

moon river

Brilliant_Rock
Neither a borrower nor a lender be......words to live by.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results