shape
carat
color
clarity

Chipped stone - recutting question!!! Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkley

Rough_Rock
Hello all-
My boyfriend and I are looking into buying a stone that has a chip in it, due to budget constraints. The seller has taken it to an appraiser who ran a Megascope Recut Function analysis on the stone. Since I do not know much about it...can someone tell me an expected cost to have a diamond recut, and how risky it is... Or just look at the info below and tell me any thoughts you have, as I am a novice at this...Is it unsafe for the structure of the diamond to hid the chip under a prong again if it is small? Could it end up cracking? Could we do this to hold us over to pay for the recutting? Sorry for all of the questions...we are going 3hrs to look at an estate ring on Sunday, so I would like to sort this out before then.

Shape and cut: Old European Cut
Measurements: 7.18 x 7.47 x 4.89mm
Weight: 1.61ct
Clarity: I-1 (small chip, formerly hidden by prong)
Color: H
Cut: Good class 2a
Florescence: None

Recut Function Report:

http://mail.google.com/mail/?v...09dbd0f98e0d719

Thanks in advance!!
1.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkley,
I don''t know the answer to your question and my miserable firewall won''t let me look at the report. Can the stone not be re-polished instead of being recut? I am also curious as to the answer(s).

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Old European cuts have extremely thin girdles which is why they are prone to chipping. Mine had 3 tiny chips. They were not visible to the eye so I left it alone. You''d have to talk to a jeweler or independant appraiser about the stuctual integrity of the stone and whether hiding it under a prong will work. Do you like the look of an OEC? I find them beautiful but very different from a Mondern cut round. I am not exactly sure but I believe it cost several hundred dollars to recut a stone. I''m sure some of the experts will chime in
1.gif

sparkley

Rough_Rock
I love the look of OEC!!!
emsmile.gif
I think they are very romantic. I love the thought of it being an "old stone" Unfortunately, the seller doesn''t have any romantic stories to go with it!!

We have been searching for a OEC, cushion or OMC (in that order) and when I found this one, I was so excited until I found out it was chipped. I have a call into the seller to see if you can see the chip without magnification...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
IF you love the look of the OEC, I wouldn''t recut it. Maybe look into a polish but depending on the setting you chose there is a good chance another tiny chip will happen. Here is a picture of my OEC when I had it appraised. You can see the chips. My appraiser said it would not comprise the stones integrity at agreed with the setting I''d chosen for it at that time. He said to not even bother with the polish unless it bothered me mentally b/c the chips were not visable at all.

E-clarity%20photo%20report1.jpg

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actual recutting of an old cut will spoil its old cut look. You might consider having the girdle faceted and the chips repaired, but this sort of more minor repair cutting won't change the overall appearance of the old diamond. Sarin and Ogi do not offer a repair cut estimator function, but make the assumption that one would want a total recut to a modern diamond. It is not necessary to go that route.

Repairs can run from below $100 to $200+ dependinng on the source and how much work your diamond requires plus removal and resetting, etc.

Recutting is more likely to run $300 and higher, again depending on who is making the quote and what degree of guarantee they offer. Remember, in a full recut you may not be able to even recognize the original diamond when it is shown to you. You might be surprised.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results