shape
carat
color
clarity

Gary Weiss?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
is anyone familiar with this NYC vendor?
He has tons of stones and jewelry listed on eBay and had great feedback there, and has been very responsive to my mails about coming to the store to see some EC''s, but well, if anyone has any experience with them, please oh please let me know!
thank you!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, don''t know him at all. He could be quite reputable, but I wouldn''t personally put much credibility in an Ebay rating. And I would not buy something as significant as a diamond through Ebay. There are far too many reputable internet dealers you can buy with confidence such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Wink Jones, James Allen, just to name a few.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
Thanks - I agree. I wasnt'' planning on buying the diamond through ebay, but was rather hoping to go to Gary''s physical location in NYC and see what the diamonds he offers are like in person - turns out though that he is open on days when I can''t get there, so I guess the point is moot anyway :O(

Back to the drawing board I go!

Man, this is the most confusing purchase I''ve ever been involved with!! I rented a home in CT while still living in GA and it wasn''t this difficult!

Rod

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, for many, buying diamonds is akin to making a nutron bomb. Actually, your local national chain, low quality Maul store is counting on you to know diddly about diamonds. But, there is hope for you as there was for myself and most of the great people on PS. First, read everything you can on the tutorials. Then, if you can find a jeweler in person you trust, or one through PS, such as Whiteflash, Good Old Gold, Winfield, James Allen, and others, armed with knowledge and the help of the friends you will make here, you can make it through the jungle and buy something really terrific. In fact, once you learn more, the buying experience can become more enjoyable and you'll know when you're finished that you really got something special.

Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are lot's of wonderful people here who will help you.

leadfoot

Rough_Rock
Stop! Stop! Stop!

I have to tell you to stop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My sister-in-law and my brother had "relations" with him when they were searching for their setting for her heirloom stone. From what i can remember, he was VERY pleasant to work with via emails, and was reassuring them that what they had wanted, he was going to produce. She has a 5.2 ct Asscher. There was a ring in his ebay store that they wanted him to produce for a larger stone (the ring held a 2.? asscher, which I now question to be one of leon''s pieces. Leon does immaculate work) He said it would be all this and all that, well, it was none of the above. Wasn''t the right size, the pave and metal work was horrendous. It caused them so much grief and angst that they had trouble getting her mounting made by anyone. In my eyes, and with their experience, that man was a scammer. He didn''t even want to refund their money after they asked him to make it right and re-work the ring. They gave him plenty of opportunities to correct the wrong, but he had his secretary tell them he wasn''t available and averted their phone calls.

This was just their experience, and perhaps someone somewhere has been treated differently, but in all honesty i would be very very very leery about him.

I saw the heartaches it caused my brother and sis-in law. Nothing should be that stressful, especially a token like an e-ring.

my 2 cents!

good luck!

spinz

Rough_Rock
Rough Rock,

Its funny that you asked about this guy...I just sat down with him at his store a week ago. I chose not to do business with him for the reason that there was a lack of professionalism. His office is kind of cruddy...with horrible lighting, that he claims he paid 25K for. Regardless...all he showed me was junk EGL stones, with photocopies of certs..all over over the place. I dont know if I would call him a scammer...but I wouldnt be able to sleep at night if I bought a stone from him.

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
thank you SO much!

i kind of got a bad feeling when I said I would be in town on Sunday and I was told they are open Mon-Fri.
The store we''re going to on Sunday is opening specifically so that we can meet with them, which I thought was very very cool - and Gary''s standoffishness (not sure that''s a word, but it works!) kind of put me off
add to that the experiences the two of you posted here and I''ll stay away - FAR away!

the search goes on!

indecisive

Brilliant_Rock
If you were going to NYC why don''t you just go to GOG? They are on Long Island but I don''t imagine it would be that hard to get to. Good luck!

f0rbidden

Shiny_Rock
I think I may just do that - we''re actually in CT, so Long Island is actually closer than Manhattan is. I had emailed them about a stone they had on their website, but that was from work, and I had a couple of days off - so I didn''t get to see what the reply was :O(

I also emailed WF, but they suggested some SI stones, which I''m not comfortable with, and also had only suggested stones from virtual inventory - another problem I''m dealing with.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results