shape
carat
color
clarity

Need clothing advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
For Valentine''s Day, my boyfriend has a really romantic evening planned. We''re both from Charleston, SC but he was reloacated to Savannah for a few months. Since we''re both homesick and love Charleston, we''re going to spend the night there. First, we''re going to walk around the historic district and down by the battery (which is the harbor) because its really beautiful and we''ve never really done anything "touristy." Then, we''re going to a really nice dinner. And I think he''s planning on proposing that night!
30.gif

So, here''s my dilemma: I want to look great if he is going to pop the question and also because we''re going to a nice restaurant, so I was planning on wearing a really cute dress I have. But I just looked up the weather for that night and its going to be around 30 degrees that night. Since we''re going to be walking around for a while, I don''t want to freeze but I really don''t want to wear pants either.

Any ideas or suggestions?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
Is it possible to wear high boots? At least the lower half of your legs would be covered then...

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Hehe, I had a similar problem, I was 99% sure he was going to propose on a hike through the snow in about 10 degree weather...I finally decided to wear my huge puffy ugly snow pants and just put a cute sweater over them, with nice earrings/hat/coat/scarf and managed to feel nice looking enough in spite of my snowpants.
40.gif
Plus pictures we took right at the moment were only of our upper bodies, so the snowpants were not memorialized!
3.gif

But since the weather will be a bit warmer for you AND it''s a more romantic outing, I agree that I would probably want to wear a dress...I think I would try the tall boots idea for the best of both worlds! And do you have a full length coat? Having a coat over your legs works wonders too. Good luck!!!
9.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you thought about bringing a thermos of hot "happy" drinks along? Not saying you should get wasted, but a little whiskey or Bailey''s in your coffee might keep you a little warmer so you can wear your dress! I also vote for high boots, if possible. When we got engaged we ended up doing his plan B, which was visiting the beach in downtown Chicago where we watched our first sunrise together the weekend we met. It was December when he proposed, though, so quite cold! I had expected to be inside all night, so I was wearing a suede knee-length skirt and high boots, but luckily we had been to dinner already and I was feeling the warming effects of some good wine, hee hee. I remember EVERYTHING, I swear!
emteeth.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! I like the Bailey''s in coffee idea, of course, my tolerance has gotten really low for some reason so I''d probably make a fool out of myself.
25.gif

I''ve thought of wearing high boots, but they just wouldn''t look right unless I got a different dress. And I don''t have a long coat (since its usually not cold here) but if I could find a nice one at a reasonable price I might just buy one and wear that with the dress.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I''m clothing-challenged, but wanted to ask you what restaurant you''re going to? My parents live in Charleston. My dad was mentioning the other day how cold it is there now. Good luck with finding the right outfit!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
a long coat would work great.
chadwick''s has very reasonable prices.
how exciting! best of luck!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not actually sure what restaurant we''re going to. He wanted to plan everything all by himself, so I let him do it all. He mentioned Charleston Grill, which is supposed to be pretty upscale, but I''m not sure if that''s where we''re going or not.

Thanks Belle, I''ll check out Chadwick''s.
1.gif

Carolina Girl

Rough_Rock
I don''t have any clothing advice for you but wanted say I understand how much you love Charleston. We go several times a year and love it!!!

Hope you have a good time...
1.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
So this is COMPLETELY off the clothing topic, but I just can''t resist asking this: My brother-in-law lives in Charleston, SC. Does anyone know if there are any cute, sweet, SINGLE (between age 30 and 40) girls in Charleston? My BIL, bless his sweet heart, can''t seem to find one!!!!!!
33.gif

Sorry for the hijak, XChick03. I did not mean to turn your romantic-clothing dilemma into PSmatch.com. Back to the wardrobe issues at hand . . . .
2.gif

I like to high boots idea -- very chic.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I don't mind this becoming a Charleston based thread at all. I never realzed what a gorgeous city it was until we left it.

As far as single women 30-40, I'm afraid most of my friends are in their 20s and the ones in their 30s are already taken. Sorry.
7.gif

To get back on topic, my boyfriend just got his taxes back and he said he's going to take me shopping for clothes Saturday! That's a first for us, he never wants to go shopping with me. This makes me even more certain he's going to ask me then!
36.gif

ETA that I can understand why he can't find any girls in Charleston. It's not exactly the best place if you're single because it seems like everyone is already taken, I had the same problem for a while. Though, after living here, I can say that Charleston is full of beautiful, friendly people and maybe he should just go to some of the nice bars downtown every once and a while. Thats where most of the single people go on the weekends and there are some really fun places.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I''ll have to ask my BIL if he ever does that, XChic. Unfortunately, he spent his 20s building his career and getting his life in order (has a fantastic job, owns a great house, drives a awesome car, etc.), and at age 41, it''s hard to be on the same emotional level as the single 20s crowd. All his friends are married, and their wives don''t know any single ladies either.
7.gif
His friends and their wives take good care of him and include him in a lot, but I know he would like to be married and have a family of his own. People always think its women who "hear the clock ticking," but it happens with men too.
20.gif

Have a great time shopping on Saturday.
36.gif

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi there!

I agree with Belle that a coat is in order. I've got just the thing for you. Warm, practical and cutting edge design with attention to detail.

Yep...it's the duffle coat. Available in a range of colours and only £170 ($320)

Style is just wona those things...you've either got it, or you ain't.

P.S. The last time I posted this picture, the thread died a sudden death?? What was that about?

312-fc-bamboo2.jpg

eks6426

Ideal_Rock
Hee, hee on the coat. Looks warm!

I had similar thread going for V-day only I''m already married so you truly have a reason to look good that night. I wound up finding a dress and then I''m wearing black suede boots. It was a challenge finding a dress that would look good with boots.

I hope you have a good time shopping Saturday and let us know what you come up with.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I still might do the boots if I can find another dress or I might just buy a jacket and wear the dress I have. Decisions, decisions.
20.gif

DiamondLil, tell your BIL to try Henry''s. It''s a nice place downtown and he''d probably have a better chance of meeting people his age and not just girls in their 20s. And I know all about the male biological clock. My boyfriend is 5 years older than me, so while I''d rather wait 5 or more years to have kids, he wants them in like 3 years because he''ll be too old.
20.gif

And that coat is just gorgeous, I''m going to buy it ASAP!
5.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
have fun shopping this weekend xchic!
36.gif
let us know what you find
2.gif

nice coat blod!
28.gif

GGLW

Shiny_Rock
I think a nice long coat is the answer to your problems...You''ll be warm enough outside but can still look cute underneath when you go inside to the restaurant.
And if your BF wants to take you shopping, even better! It will go down in history as your proposal coat and every time you wear it, it will bring back happy memories!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
xchick, so glad to hear your man''s taking you shopping! it''s so "Pretty Woman!" I had a similar thread going (like yours and ID''s) when we spent a weekend in Chicago in December--my husband and I ended up shopping together for a dress for me while we were downtown, and it was great! Guys tend to be more patient when they are helping you make decisions that are contributing to both of your happiness, IMO. Normally my DH wouldn''t go shopping with me no matter what, but for special occasions he doesn''t mind. He actually likes to have input on what I''ll be wearing, and he''s even treated me to updo''s when we''re out of town for his industry meetings which constitute going out to "fancy" dinners with his clients and their wives. I love it!

I hope you have a fabulous time this weekend and find something "WOW!" to wear. Please, please remember to take pics so we can all live vicariously through your romantic lives, hee hee!
9.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 7:12:52 AM
Author: blodthecat
Hi there!

I agree with Belle that a coat is in order. I''ve got just the thing for you. Warm, practical and cutting edge design with attention to detail.

Yep...it''s the duffle coat. Available in a range of colours and only £170 ($320)

Style is just wona those things...you''ve either got it, or you ain''t.

P.S. The last time I posted this picture, the thread died a sudden death?? What was that about?
Blod, you just made me LOL at work. Someone came over to see if I was okay.
3.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 5:20:46 PM
Author: GGLW
I think a nice long coat is the answer to your problems...You''ll be warm enough outside but can still look cute underneath when you go inside to the restaurant.

And if your BF wants to take you shopping, even better! It will go down in history as your proposal coat and every time you wear it, it will bring back happy memories!

I never thought of it that way! I have to get one now just so I can relive the night every time I put it on.
36.gif

I am positive he is in fact doing it V-Day too. I feel really bad, but I overheard him on the phone early this morning saying "It has to be ready by Monday, I''ve got plans." So, I am guessing my ring is being set!
30.gif

And monarach, you''re so right. My BF has never wanted to take me shopping before, so I''m kind of excited. I think he wants the night to be perfect right down to what I''m wearing. And he does like having an input on what I wear, so it''ll be nice to have him with me.

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 6:54:30 PM
Author: EBree
3.gif

LOL, I just love the button (things?) on that coat. I''m going to see if I can get one in canary yellow.
36.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG, xchick, don''t feel bad at all for overhearing his conversation. When we got engaged, I was in the bedroom getting ready and I totally overheard my husband on his cellphone (on the balcony outside our window) telling someone "tonight''s the night!"
emotion-20.gif
I spent the rest of the evening planning my "game face" just in case I had misunderstood or heard him wrong! Seriously, I was almost in tears after his plan A didn''t quite work out...the ring purchase for him went super quick and he didn''t have time to make reservations at the place he wanted to originally propose to me, so we had to hop in a cab when we couldn''t get in and go to the plan B, which was by far more wonderful! LOL! I can still remember what I wore, and now you will too!

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I guess he thought I was still asleep because I had just woken up. Even though he was in the other room, I could still hear every word he said. Now I just hope the ring will be ready in time!

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/10/2006 7:26:15 PM
Author: XChick03

Date: 2/10/2006 6:54:30 PM
Author: EBree
3.gif

LOL, I just love the button (things?) on that coat. I''m going to see if I can get one in canary yellow.
36.gif
The button things are called "frogs." Or at least that''s what I learned grown up.
20.gif

XChick03

Brilliant_Rock
I found that coat''s twin!

Sorry, I came across that while browsing and just had to share it.
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results