shape
carat
color
clarity

Diamond Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TKC

Shiny_Rock
I noticed that diamonds with the same cut (like radiant) have different appearance. As you can see that both diamonds have radiant cut, but when you look at them carefully, they have different spakle effects. As you can see, one has crushed ice effect, and the other one you can see the pavilion's facets. What makes them different? is there any different in the pavilion faceting style? I would like to know if anyone can show me the cut's plot of both style? This seems to me that the effect also applies to other cuts, like princesses, ovals, pears, and cushions.

Radiant%20Cut%201.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Or like this

Radiant Cut Yellow Diamond 3.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Copare to this one which you can see the pavilion''s facets

Radiant 6.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
even this one

Radiant 8.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Here is the princess cut that has crushed ice effect

Princess Cut 2.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
And, here is princess cut that you can see its pavilion''s facets

Princess Cut with regular 58 facets.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Sorry, that I post my questions in the colored stones section because it seems that this section is more active
1.gif

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Here is more clear pictures with I believe they both in nearly the same lighting condition. Here is the one that has crushed ice effect

Princess 7.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
And, here is to compare

Princess 8.jpg

TKC

Shiny_Rock
Any one of you has the plot of asscher and royal asccher cuts? And, what is the difference? Thanks.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as I know, it proportions and, to a lesser extent, the facet pattern makes the differences you point out. Radiants and princesses come with a few cut variations - but changing proportions esp, for radiant cuts makes allot of difference.

And no, the drawings of the clarity plots on GIA or other lab reports do not mirror the actual facet pattern of each stone. Those are ''conventional maps'' if you wish.

About Royal Asscher (RA) and square step cuts... you may want to search the "Rocky Talky'' forum for this topic - there have been quite a few examples posted over time. All in all, RAs are ''modified square step cut'' and the others ''square emerald cut'' and less common ''octagonal step cut'' (if the corners are cut so deep, the corner facets are as long as the N-S-E-W ones). The difference is the number of facets - the RAs have one more row of steps on the pavilion. However, this is not a unique feature of Royal Asscher diamonds - there are no-name square step cut diamonds with extra pavilion facets, so the name of the cut on the GIA report does not identify RA diamonds. These are also engraved with a specific logo, so that helps. Not that it makes allot of difference - there is no huge supply of Royal Asscher diamonds and you would know that you are buying one... no confusion there. The particular look of the RA also comes from proportions - these are quite some cherries! The no-name square step cuts with the same facet layout (i.e. extra steps on pavilion) don''t necessarily come with optimized proportions. This is about all that comes to mind... There are examples of all those types of lab reports mentioned here in older threads (look up things from the past two months or so).

Hope this helps
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results