shape
carat
color
clarity

Bling on the Little Fingers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/8/2006 7:43:02 PM
Author: diamonelle
Wow so many of you Pricescopers have large rings. I was once reading in the newspaper that only about 1% of women will get a 1 carot or bigger for their engagement ring. I guess many of you represent that 1%. Lucky Ladies
36.gif

I''m very curious can you actually see a hearts and arrows cut or do you have to put it up to the microscope? I know this is off topic but I would love to know and didn''t want to start a new thread.

Thanks!
it just that 99% of the other ladies are normal. this is PS.the girls here are
40.gif
37.gif
9.gif

you will need a heart & arrow scope to see the hearts.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
girls... just remember the basic rules...

if you wear a size 6 ring (i.e.).... you can go up to a 5 ct RB (center stone) or up to a 6 ct (your ring size) for a fancy cut.
2.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 2:11:17 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
researcher

your princess has the most sparkle
10.gif
30.gif
out of any princess i ever seen.
36.gif

Awwww, you''re too sweet DF! Thanks for the compliment
35.gif
BTW, I love your rule of thumb--that you can get a stone up to your finger size in fancies, and about 1ct smaller for rounds. Too funny! At least that gives me room to grow IN CASE I *gasp!* ever experience shrinkage that leaves me wanting more
31.gif

TriciaKirk

Rough_Rock
I do not have attractive hands - they are short, fat, wrinkled (yes, very wrinkled like a 90 year old woman - they have been this way since birth). When I got engaged, we went and tried on all types of sizes and stones. Anything over 1 ct. looked horrible - I mean really horrible. My ring size is 4.5 and I am 5 feet tall and it all did not match. Go with your instinct and what looks good - there are not specific rules.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 2:38:15 AM

if you wear a size 6 ring (i.e.).... you can go up to a 5 ct RB (center stone) or up to a 6 ct (your ring size) for a fancy cut.
2.gif
I love that!!!

diamonelle

Rough_Rock
I must mention again how beautiful all your rings are. With HUGE rocks
36.gif
. The other day when I went to the jeweller he mentioned that I should go for a simple solitaire because it looks classic. I do agree with him. But after looking at all the bling on the settings are any of you worried that your ulimate setting will go out of date?. He mentioned to me that many of the ladies who got engagement rings in the 1980''s/90''s are now changing their settings to simple ones. I was born in the 1980''s and unsure what the settings looked like . But anyway this is what I fear. I love Scott Kay rings but jewellers keep saying that his rings have the potential to go out of style SIGH
38.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind that styles come and go, but they often come back. My brother (the lucky guy) has a 2.5ct round set in platinum that belonged to my great grandmother which he will give to his future wife (when he finds one). At any rate, about 10 years ago when he was given the ring we laughed at the setting. Now I see TONS of antique settings that look just like it! So, IMO you should go for a setting that you love and don''t think you''ll tire of.

That being said, I originally wanted a ring with princess cut stones in the band. I decided against it as I knew I would probably not like it in the long run (meaning the next 5-10 years). So, I chose to go for something simple, yet with a modern flair. I can''t promise I will always love it as much as I do now, but I do know that it''s not something I''ll probably never be embarrassed to wear. IMO when you run into trouble is when you do something that''s super trendy like *don''t kill me!* split shank rings. I think they''re lovely, but I don''t think it will be a lasting style. That being said, there was a thread in which some people think princess cut stones are what defines the times and will therefore go out of style. But, for me personally, I could care less. I love the square shape, and looking at my preferences in furniture to cars it''s obvious that I like sleek lines and probably won''t change
1.gif

What''s my point? I think you should get what you want and love. You can always change the setting. Just make sure it''s not a setting you''ll change your mind on next month!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also wear a 5 1/4 and I was happy with my 1 ct. for 29 years! Most of my friends have that size or smaller. So I would feel very out of place with a 2 ct. I think 1.25 is a very nice size, and had I started with that, I might not be looking for an upgrade now. But quality is very important to me, so I will get whatever size I have to in order to get a great cut, and G-H color, VS clarity.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/8/2006 6:42:01 AM
Author: blodthecat

Date: 1/8/2006 3:34:14 AM
Author: Gonzodogg
As a guy using PS to decide on the best diamond to buy my girfriend - this thread is a little scary. I get the feeling that no matter what size stone I decided on, in a few years it will be too small.

I do understand what you mean. No matter what you buy, you are worried that your partner will be dissatified with it somewhere down the line. But us gals on pricescope are more the exception than the ''norm'' Many people get engaged and keep their original ering for life!

But seriously, you make a very valid point. It is sad that when we are given something precious like an ering, we can''t be satisfied with it and have the need to look for something bigger and better. The last time I upgraded my ering, my husband said to me ''what will it take to make you satisfied?'' and that really hit home for me. I felt selfish and ungrateful. So I have had my last upgrade, and yes I am content and happy with what i have got.

I''m not completely cured though, because i do like browsing this site and looking at what other people have bought. (but i guess that''s ok)

Thanks for your post, It is a really valid point (from an guys perspective)

Blod
35.gif
Dahling, that''s a nasty urban legend!!
31.gif
31.gif
That one actually scared me.

shay

matthewk

Rough_Rock
But seriously, you make a very valid point. It is sad that when we are given something precious like an ering, we can't be satisfied with it and have the need to look for something bigger and better. The last time I upgraded my ering, my husband said to me 'what will it take to make you satisfied?' and that really hit home for me. I felt selfish and ungrateful. So I have had my last upgrade, and yes I am content and happy with what i have got.

Oddly as a man who is about to make the only proposal to a woman I hope to ever make in my life; I truly pray that she never wants to upgrade. I would be completly heartbroken to know the token that I gave her to signify the dedication of my life to her was one day not enough. I am sure I like your husband would go along with the upgrade, but I would forever be changed knowing that the most important purchase of my life didn't satisfy her. In some small way the biggest thing that I ever did in my entire life wouldn't seem so big anymore. I think that sometimes women forget the pride that men have in finding that woman that changed their lives and in return give their everything to.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/17/2006 5:08:10 PM
Author: matthewk

Oddly as a man who is about to make the only proposal to a woman I hope to ever make in my life; I truly pray that she never wants to upgrade. I would be completly heartbroken to know the token that I gave her to signify the dedication of my life to her was one day not enough. I am sure I like your husband would go along with the upgrade, but I would forever be changed knowing that the most important purchase of my life didn't satisfy her. In some small way the biggest thing that I ever did in my entire life wouldn't seem so big anymore. I think that sometimes women forget the pride that men have in finding that woman that changed their lives and in return give their everything to.
I guess for me, I don't really see the e-ring as a token of our love. That's almost like saying spending a lot of money is a token of love. To me it's almost like having a wedding, you don't need it but it's nice to have. If my fiance didn't buy me a nice ring, I would still marry him. I asked my fiance to get something smaller than what I really wanted because I didn't want want him to be overspending (even though he still spent a lot). I wouldn't mind buying the ring myself even. As for upgrade, that's something I want to save up and pay for myself. The biggest thing in your life that you are doing is committing to a lifetime with this person, not buying the ring.

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 12:29:27 PM
Author: headlight
Date: 1/13/2006 2:38:15 AM

2.gif
I love that!!!

H, I *know*! isn''t it the best?!

DF, I''ve commited it to memory!
9.gif

kaylagee

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/13/2006 1:26:48 AM
Author: researcher
I agree with the other posters in that you need to decide which size works best for you. And remember that the setting can give an illusion of larger (or smaller) size.

My ring is 3.22cts, and I wear a 4.5 (actually, I''m going to get sizing balls put in because I think I''m more of a 4-4.25). My stone is set low, so it really doesn''t look too big.

ring10d.jpg

30.gif
30.gif
OT: Researcher, I just have to say that your hand pic is one of my favorites ever(and G-d knows I''ve seen a ton of these!) your hands, the nails, the ring, the ''fit'' of the ring(diamond shape&size, metal color, setting height) is excellent. I just swoon every time! It''s perfection!
41.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2006 5:08:10 PM
Author: matthewk
But seriously, you make a very valid point. It is sad that when we are given something precious like an ering, we can''t be satisfied with it and have the need to look for something bigger and better. The last time I upgraded my ering, my husband said to me ''what will it take to make you satisfied?'' and that really hit home for me. I felt selfish and ungrateful. So I have had my last upgrade, and yes I am content and happy with what i have got.

Oddly as a man who is about to make the only proposal to a woman I hope to ever make in my life; I truly pray that she never wants to upgrade. I would be completly heartbroken to know the token that I gave her to signify the dedication of my life to her was one day not enough. I am sure I like your husband would go along with the upgrade, but I would forever be changed knowing that the most important purchase of my life didn''t satisfy her. In some small way the biggest thing that I ever did in my entire life wouldn''t seem so big anymore. I think that sometimes women forget the pride that men have in finding that woman that changed their lives and in return give their everything to.

I love what you wrote as I am someone who will never upgrade, but I have to say I feel it''s the wedding band that is the true symbol of a couple''s dedication to one another. The engagement ring is wonderful, but at least for me the ring he placed on my finger when he pledged his love for me before our family and friends is the ring that will always mean the most to me.

In my own case, I''m just super sentimental and would therefore never be able to part with my stone. It''s a good thing too because my hubby, like you, would be hurt if I were to ever want an upgrade--and I would NEVER do that to him. I mean, how could I ever trade in the diamond he worked so hard to get me, the one he gave me when he asked me to marry him? I get choked up just thinking of him down on one knee!

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/18/2006 4:35:40 AM
Author: kaylagee
Date: 1/13/2006 1:26:48 AM

Author: researcher

I agree with the other posters in that you need to decide which size works best for you. And remember that the setting can give an illusion of larger (or smaller) size.

My ring is 3.22cts, and I wear a 4.5 (actually, I''m going to get sizing balls put in because I think I''m more of a 4-4.25). My stone is set low, so it really doesn''t look too big.

ring10d.jpg

30.gif
30.gif
OT: Researcher, I just have to say that your hand pic is one of my favorites ever(and G-d knows I''ve seen a ton of these!) your hands, the nails, the ring, the ''fit'' of the ring(diamond shape&size, metal color, setting height) is excellent. I just swoon every time! It''s perfection!
41.gif

How sweet are you?!?! Thanks for the compliment!
35.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results