shape
carat
color
clarity

Flower brooches

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
On a recent trip overseas, I found a store that carries "Buccellati-like" flower brooches at an affordable price. Below are pictures of two brooches. I actually saw the one on the right. I like it, but I wanted one showing more white gold to go with my platinum jewelry. The store said they can order the one on the left for me, and I told them to go ahead. I received these two pictures from the store today. On looking more closely, the pin on the right seems to look better. It seems to have more depth to it. The one on the left looks kind of flat and the center does not show as well. Now I am undecided whether I should call the store and tell them I just want the buy the one on the right and cancel the order for the one on the left. What do you think? Any comments will be appreciated.

Art Nouveau

Flower-pins.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i LOVE the one on the right!

if they''re not pricey, why not get them both?!

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/11/2005 3:09:43 AM
Author:Art Nouveau

The one on the left looks kind of flat and the center does not show as well.
Agreed with that...

However, I would ask them if the pictures are both realistic. Obviously they were not taken in similar conditions, and the one to the left is simply not a great picture - too much light flattens detail terribly. If you didn't tell me this is a picture I would have guessed it is some sort of drawing. Is that the actual object or a sample of the white metals combination? If you would very much prefer the white colors, what seems to make most difference are the deeper ripples of the petals in the other flower. If yours is a custom order, that could be arranged, I suppose.

Anyway, feel free to ignore the 0.2.

The pins are superb, btw!
30.gif

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
They are BOTH beautiful, but I actually like the one on the left. It''s very soft and delicate looking, and I think it would look fabulous with white metal jewelry.

If the photos are accurate, the petals on the the left one look pale pink, my favorite color. Sorry to confuse the issue for you.
2.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Movie Zombie,

These brooches are much cheaper than the Buccellati originals, which go for $16,000 and up, but not cheap enough for me to afford to buy both. I wish I could!

Valarie 101,

You are right about the photos not being the same quality can make a big difference in appearance. I know the photo on the right was taken from the real thing. I suspect the one on the left may be a scan of a photo in a catalog. Therefore, the real brooch may look better than the photo here.

Diamondlil,

I ordered the one on the left because the colors are softer and it looks like it goes better wtih platinum jewelry. But when I saw the photos side by side, the right one looks better. The store said if this brooch is still available when the one I ordered arrives from Italy, I can buy either one. I guess I will take a chance and wait to see both together before I make a decision.

AN

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree AN, the one on the right shows much more contrast, whereas the one on the left looks a bit washed out?? I don''t care for the one on the left at all just going by the pic. I would cancel that order and get the one on the right. HTH. Lisa

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, AN...I this is really interesting!

IF Ana is right, and the difference between the two are only the colors of the metals, then I'd probably prefer the one on the left because it looks softer and perhaps more feminine.

But I must say, from the pictures anyway, the one on the right looks much richer with more texture. I can't even see those nifty tentacle thingies in the left hand photo!

Can you order the white gold one, check it out, and then exchange it for the YG one if you don't like it?

I'd love to hear what you decide, and to eventually see YOUR pictures!

They're beautiful!

widget

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh and Widget,

Thanks for your comments. The jeweler already told me I can choose either one, but I am taking a chance that the brooch on the right will still be around in mid December. The center of the one on the right is more elaborate. The pink and white one only has the pave round center with diamond tipped stamens coming out of it. It does not have the "tentacles" like the peach and gold brooch. These brooches are hand made and have very fine hand engraving. Actually I bought a yellow gold lily brooch from the same Italian jewelers about 15 years ago when they were in the bay area for a show at a local jeweler. Attached is a pic. I have wanted a rose gold tri-color one for a long time but they have not been back here in recent years. Last time I was in Hong Kong, I checked out many of the local jewelry stores and nobody could duplicate the technique of making these tri-color gold brooches. I found out while I was in Hong Kong this time that the two Italian jewelers have set up shop there. I went over to their store and they actually recognized me as a previous customer and gave me a good deal. I will send an email to find out the status of my order. If it''s too late to stop it, then I will have to wait to see how it turns out before I make the final decision. The Italian jewelers will be in the US in January and they said they will deliver the brooch to me then.

AN

Lily-brooch.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
How cool that you found them in Hong Kong!!! And even better that they recognized you! I''m totally impressed...

Do these guys have a website? Their work really does look fabulous. That lily is incredible, too. AGBF has GOT to see it....she''ll die!
5.gif

widget

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Widget,

There is no web site at this time.
AN

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh that lily is sooo pretty. I love it!!!
30.gif

ello

Brilliant_Rock
I’m in love with your yellow lily brooch! It’s gorgeous!!!

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
My Italian flower pin arrived just in time for Christmas. It seems to go with many colors. Here is a collage of how it looks with some of my jackets. The diameter of the flower is ~2.75 inches.

AN

flowercol.jpg

pspaniac

Rough_Rock
AN
It is so beautiful. I can''t exactly tell, did you end up with the one on the left or right? Looks like the best of both worlds--detail from the right but color of the one on the left.
You have some of the most amazing pieces I have ever seen!!

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Green Eggs,

I bought the one on the right. I cannot quite capture the true color. The flower is made up of rose and yellow gold. The rose gold is on the "peachy" side rather than "pink". The actual color is more pinkish than the original photo, but not as pink as in the collage. I took all nine photos in the same location but the colors of the brooch turn out different in all them. I haven''t quite figured out how to set my camera to take jewelry photos. The texture of the gold on the petals is done by hand engraving. I have wanted a flower like this one since I saw one in Buccellati in NY 10 years ago. The Buccellati originals are way too expensive. I even asked several estate jewelry dealers to help me find one, but was told these brooches seldom come up for resale as people who are willing to spend that much for a gold brooch, usually keeps it in the family.

AN

just_looking!

Brilliant_Rock
very pretty! I've been looking at other leaf and flower jewelry..... So far I really like Michael Michaud and Arnould.

Arnould1.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Art Nouveau, I love your flower pin!! Especially with the brown floral jacket in the middle of your collage. It looks like the pin is just popping out of the material. An exact match!
emlove.gif

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
just _looking,

Thank you for your kind coments. I am not familiar with the two designers you quoted, but the style of the necklace looks very "art nouveau". I love the flowers, leaves and insects motifs and the flowing lines of the jewelry from that period. I have been collecting Art Nouveau pins, both vintage and repro, for years.

AN

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Catmom,

Thanks for your nice comments. You are absolutelly right about the flower brooch looking the best on the brown jacket with floral pattern in the middle. I did not have this jacket in mind when I bought the brooch, but when I was pulling jackets out of my closet to take the photos, I was pleasantly surprised how well the brown silk brocade jacket goes with brooch. That''s why that photo is in the center. When I wear this jacket, I usually wear a brownish peach sweater underneath, which picks up the rose gold color on the petals of the flower. I also wear my salmon color imperial topaz ring and earrings to match the outfit. I actually bought this jacket to go with my topaz set. This may sound a little crazy, but I frequently buy clothes to go with my jewelry, not the other way round.

AN

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2006 7:42:40 AM
Author: just_looking!
very pretty! I've been looking at other leave and flower jewelry..... So far I really like Michael Michaud and Arnould.
Somewhat related... hope you like :)

Christine MacKellar (mostly bi-metal and high carat gold) and Elise Moran (silver). Online, Google brings up several galleries listing their work. I've found Christine's leaf pins and pendants at a show in Providence at first. Same for the other designer, although her work seems to be more widely available.

A0953-038f.jpg
eamleafnk.jpg

And Gayle Saunders (picture from Guild.com):

A0673-018f.jpg

Now, since it was mentioned on the thread... Buccellati pins are not the easiest thing to find in estate sales, and the classic styles turn up more. The Net is larger than most dealer's backyards though and you never know. Here's one Thistle - the source makes me believe this is the real deal too:

020v200.jpg

Hope you don't mind the picture flood...

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
The thistle pin looks like an authentic Buccelati piece. The workmanship on these pins is fabulous. I saw a similar pin at an antique show last year, and even as estate jewelry, the asking price was around $7,000.

AN

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/11/2006 2:27:34 AM
Author: Art Nouveau
Catmom,

When I wear this jacket, I usually wear a brownish peach sweater underneath, which picks up the rose gold color on the petals of the flower. I also wear my salmon color imperial topaz ring and earrings to match the outfit. I actually bought this jacket to go with my topaz set. This may sound a little crazy, but I frequently buy clothes to go with my jewelry, not the other way round.

AN
AN, Your outfit sounds fantastic together. Maybe we need to see a pic??? It doesn''t sound crazy to me at all that you pick clothes to match your jewery. I do the same!! I''m always looking at colors or necklines, i.e., this color green will go with my peridot ring or my diamond flower necklace will fit nicely into this V-neck, etc. You are definately not alone in this.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results