shape
carat
color
clarity

Buying pearls and jewelry in Hyderabad India

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Puckman

Rough_Rock
Been lurking for a while reading up on diamonds, but finally decided to post. I’ll be in Hyderabad India from now till mid Feb. Seeing as it’s one of the major pearl centers of the world, I figure I should definitely pick up a few nice sets for my girlfriend, or possibly buy really nice loose ones and have something custom made back in the States. Anyone have any recommendations on what types I should be looking for while I’m over on this side of the world? I read a few pearl books to learn what I should be looking for when I buy them, but are there types that are advised to get while I’m over here? Also while I’m at it, any type of jewelry I should be looking to pick up while I’m here? I’ve been picking up cheap Indian style jewelry but nothing major yet and thought I’d see if anyone has any opinions. Thanks!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Is this Jordan???

(hehe sorry if it isn''t!)

And I don''t know anything about pearls in Hyderabad, sorry!
1.gif

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Things are done differently over there. An ideal western strand is chosen for uniformity of color and size. Hyderabadi strands are (I THINK) chosen for color. I have two sets from Hyderabad... one is a nice, pink/peach strand of freshwater, and the second is a low quality white freshwater. Ugh, please stay away from anything with pitted surfaces. I love Akoyas; to me, nothing beats a top quality Akoya with rose overtones. However, freshwaters are lovely, too, and they are now able to compete against saltwater pearls. Also, they come in many colors, and I rather like irregular shapes (even though they can be round.) I think the best thing about Hyderabad pearls would be the prices-if you make a mistake, it's not a big deal. Of course, if you're looking for natural pearls...Basra or Bahrain pearls, then Hyderabad would be the place to go, other than through jewelry boxes of aunties. These are very expensive. Stylistically, I'd want Indian pearl jewelry, not just the basic strand and earrings that you can get in the US.

Take your time, and LOOK, LOOK, LOOK until you can differentiate between quality grades. For strands, don't stop until the pearls are the most beautiful you've ever seen. Don't wear red or pink. Multistrand necklaces or bracelets should always have an odd, not even number of strands. Slightly blemished pearls are fine (no one is really going to be able to see them) if the lustre is excellent and you can't afford cleaner pearls. For diamonds, cut is king; lustre is analogous to cut for pearls. For Indian style pieces, you have to judge the overall quality of the piece. Sometimes, the quality of the pearls, if they are little seed pearls, is not very important.

What I'd really want, though, are racks and racks of bangles...in every color imaginable!

Puckman

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice JulieN! I think i''ll start the looking process next week, and see what this city has to offer, and than probably pick stuff up right before i leave
1.gif
Oh and i''m def. loading up on bangles while i''m here for her and our friends, since they''re so dirt cheap in the old city. Nothing like having to wander down the deep parts of side alley''s to get to an amazing bangle store full of awesome bangles
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results