shape
carat
color
clarity

Terrible ebay experience!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone, I just felt like complaining about this ebay experience I had. This is long, so bear with me.

I saw a really nice vintage (circa 1970''s) clutch that I wanted to get for my sister for Christmas. I happened to have won and bid on a same style clutch for myself and I knew my sister would love to get one similar.

It was a little more than I really wanted to spend and they only offered a BIN price, so I kept it on my watch list and then one day, I saw the price reduced by $40 dollars.

I sent an email inquiring about the condition and how the clutch opens and closes. Even though it looked the same as my bag, I wanted to make sure it opened and closed the same way.

I was told that it opened with metal rods on the side of the bag and snapped shut when closed. I was told it was in excellent vintage condition with very few signs, if any, or wear, just on the corners and a little on the inside but no major stains, etc.

I went ahead and did the BIN.

When I got the clutch, it was fairly late, about 5:30pm and I had to leave to go to work at 6 pm. I took it out of the package, inspected it from the outside, opened the inside and it seemed okay. I did notice that it did not close all the way, but I figured it was because it was stuffed with paper.

I went to work and while at work, I left positive feedback.

The next day, I checked out the clutch again and realized that the clutch does not open or close the way that my other one does. When it is closed, it remains slightly open and when it is open, it is supposed to stay open, but it closes on it''s own, except for a gap of about 1/4 inch. When I put my things inside it, the opening is even wider, about 1/2 an inch and when the bag is on it''s side, my stuff was coming out of it.

So, I emailed the company and let them know that there was a problem with the closure of the bag and because they never informed me that there was a problem, I would like to return it or get credit to purchase something else from their company.

The next night, I get a phone call from someone in their company telling me that they will not give me a refund because ebay''s policy is basically a buyers beware policy.

I explained to him that I was never told that the clutch does not work properly and had I known this, I would never have purchased it.

Anyway, he gave me the following options, he would give me $50 to get the clutch fixed and a $100 credit towards anything in their store or I could return the clutch and get full credit towards anything in their store.

I thought about it and decided on a third option of a partial refund of $77 dollars and no credit or I would take the credit, but I prefered the first option better.
I emailed him and left two voicemails for him to find out if he would agree to one of them, but never got a phone call or an email.
Finally, last Friday, I left one last voicemail asking if he had come to a decision.
Later on that night, when I checked my emails, I found an email from the company saying they had refunded me the money that I asked for. I checked my paypal account and the $77 was there.
I then sent an email thanking them.

Fast forward to Tuesday, yesterday. I just got home and heard someone leaving a message on my answering machine.
It was the same person from the company saying that since he did not recieve a response from me, he was going to have to file some kind of fraudulent charge and do an investigation. HE also said that he was sending me a certified letter from his lawyers.

I picked up the phone and asked him what he was talking about. He was like didn''t I get his messages. I told him no. HE told me he tried to contact me 4 or 5 times in the last 24 hours, I never responded.
I was like, to what? He then said he received a voicemail from me on Monday saying that "I did not get the money", so he thought the money was stolen or misplaced.
I told him I did not leave him a voicemail saying I didn''t get the money, because we had never agreed that I would be getting the money to begin with. I told him I did leave him a voicemail asking if he had gotten my two options and decided on one of them. I also told him that I left that message prior to knowing they had refunded me the money.

All of a sudden, he starts telling me that he already got his lawyers involved and had I bothered to check my messages, I could have avoided the whole situation and this was all on me?
I again explained to him that I left the voicemail, which clearly did not state that I did not get the money, prior to knowing that the money was in my account.
I told him that there was no way that I could have left him this message on MOnday, because I even wrote down on my planner on Saturday that I got a refund of $77. So, if I knew I had the refund two days prior to Monday, why would I leave a message that I didn''t.
Anyway, I told him that if he had bothered to check his voicemails, he would have seen that I left him the message on Friday. He kept insisting it was MOnday, so I did a check on my cell phone and I called Cingular and they confirmed that the last call and time I made to his number was on Friday at 5:18pm.

I finally got off the phone with him.

A few minutes later, he calls my house and I didn''t pick up. Then, he calls my cell phone number and leaves a voicemail.

In this voicemail, he basically tells me that I am harassing him and that this whole thing has escalated the way it has because of me. It makes me laugh, because I only called him one time yesterday and he has called and left messages a total of 8 times, and he tells me I am the one harassing him.

I decided to send him one email, rather than to speak to him, because I wanted to tell him that he was rude and obnoxious and to just finalize our transaction.

I would have liked to call him and speak to him in person, but since he said I was harassing him, I decided this was better. Not to mention the fact that he doesn''t let you get a word in, when in a conversation with him.. He talks and talks and talks and when you try to say something, he says, "Can I just say one more thing".
Even my daughter, Kayla asked me who was that man who kept talking so much.

Anyway, I am very upset about this situation and just need to vent about it.
Now I am wondering if anything else will happen with him or if this is the end and I don''t have to deal with him again.
8.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
just don''t answer the phone if you know it is him..

personally i always conduct ANY transactions on ebay via email ONLY because i want everything in writing should anything go wrong. in fact, i try to do that with any large purchase. it''s easy to say things over the phone that are not in writing for backup. at least with an email it cannot be misinterpreted.

so if you do have any more corresepondence with him, do it via email and let him know that you will not be speaking to him on the phone again should he want to call.

there''s always going to be good with bad on ebay unfortunately, it''s the nature of the beast! there are great sellers and wackos too!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Report him to e bay

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
I ws very surprised to receive a phone call from him when I did. I have never had a telephone conversation with anyone from ebay, but I did get an email later on from ebay saying that my information was requested by this person.

The funny thing is that I think he recorded each conversation I had with him because he kept saying throughout our conversation that "for the record", and "I have you recorded as saying...".

It''s just a nightmare to deal with this person!

Ex. I told him I would never have left him a message if I had known the money was in the account. Maybe they should have sent me an email right way.
He tells me that they did send me an email and I have to take responsibility because "perhaps I am so busy working nights and having babies", I forgot to check my emails over the weekend to see the money was in my account.
I then told him that I sent the voicemail before the weekend, not after, so yes, if anyone should check their messages, it is him.
ETC. ETC. ETC.

How do you deal with someone like that?
2.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
He sounds like a jerk. Sorry you have to deal with such a person. I don''t buy on ebay, but my daughter does and so far no troubles. That''s a shame, hope this gets resolved soon.
2.gif

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
He sounds like moron. He is just talking a load of crap with that lawyer & investigation business & is just trying to scare you. Report him to Ebay and change your feedback if you can. Make sure you keep your phone records, emails, and messages.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kayla can you add a follow-up to your feedback that says negatives? The positive will probably still be on there but at least you can add the negative in text, I think that is possible.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so sorry to hear this! Like Mara, I too only conduct ebay business by email, and keep every email that I have sent or received regarding a transaction. This way it''s all in writing. Sometimes if the seller starts to sound shady I even take screenshots of the auction and print it out so that if they try to modify the wording later, I have copies of what the original auction said. In 6 years I have only had 1 bad experience, and it has been recently. Ebay definitely does not work as a "buyer beware" website - you are responsible for the way you present your item as a seller, and if your representation is incorrect, it is the buyer who is allowed to return the item.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
oh no, what a nightmare! I agree with VegasAngel about the lawyer threat being B.S. I cannot imagine any lawyer taking anything such as this seriously especially with such a small amount of money!

eBay can be scary at times. Crazy people are EVERYWHERE.
32.gif
I try to have all my items sent to my PO box so nobody knows my home address!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with everyone here. To hire a lawyer over $77 doesn''t make a lot of sense...the lawyer thing is an intimidation tactic....

A long time ago, I had a bad Ebay experience where I purchased some specialty batteries and phone accessories. The items never arrived and I continually contacted the buyer via email. I kept getting replies saying "it was in the mail." Never came. I finally emailed them one last email telling them that if this wasn''t resolved I''d be contacting Ebay and providing negative feedback.

That got a response out of them! I got an email from the "VP" of the company telling me that if I left negative feedback that he would sue me for slander!!! That royally pissed me off...I obtained their phone number and called them and told them I didn''t appreciate getting threats from the "VP" when I am in the right....the person on the phone apologized profusely and admitted that the "VP" had difficulties with customer relations (DUH???)....this person not only agreed to send me what I won, but also another $40 worth of phone accessories for my troubles.

I''ll never order from THAT company again!!!
29.gif

cinnabar

Shiny_Rock
The best thing to do with eBay purchases that are disappointing is to

1. Always pay by Paypal, using a credit card

2. Notify Paypal that the item was "significantly not as described". Paypal will tell you to return the item to the seller (get delivery confirmation, proof will be needed) and then they will do a chargeback for the full amount you paid.

If Paypal are unhelpful - and I''ve never known them to ever back the seller in such cases, they are always totally on the side of the buyer - then your last resort is to complain to your credit card company and ask to have the amount refunded.

Getting into partial refund situations makes it much more complicated
7.gif

I hope you manage to resolve this quickly. Your seller does sound like a bully who knows he''s in the wrong.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You absolutely MUST report his behavior to Ebay. Period. And find a way to retract your feedback. If you can, file a dispute.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Hi everyone and thanks for the support.

I decided to file a dispute against the seller for receiving an item that was "significantly not as described".

I did pay this on my credit card, as I do all my large transactions, so I will notify my credit card company as well.

I don''t know how it will sound to ebay/paypal because I was the one who asked for the partial $77 refund, but at the same time, I know I am never going to give it to my sister and I will never use it, so the clutch is a waste in my opinion and an expensive one at that.

I took it to the shoe store in my area and the person there said he did not want to mess with it, so basically I am stuck with an expensive item that doesn''t work the way it should.

Here is a copy of the email they sent me when I inquired about the clutch:

"Hello & Good Afternoon,
The Gucci clutch you inquired about is chocolate brown with camel/tan color leather trim and repeating logo pattern. It is not purple.
It has thick metal rods on the inside of each of the leather trim areas on top that snap the bag closed and you just pull on them to open it.
No snaps, hooks, etc. The canvas of the bag is in mint condition and the leather trim is in excellent condition with just minimal general wear. I can''t locate a photo of the interior but to the best of my recollection it has a tan coated fabric lining with just minimal wear...as in a small trace of soiling (no stains, you can just tell that it has been used before). Hope this information helps!

Happy eBaying and have a lovely holiday season! "

As you can see, there is no mention that the opening was not working properly, and had I been aware of this, I would never have purchased the clutch from them.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Once all this stuff has cleared and settled (and I know this may sound a bit far fetched) but can you then possibly put the clutch back up on eBay explaining EXACTLY what is wrong with it? There''s got to be SOMEBODY out there willing to work on getting it fixed. I think at this point, the purse is entirely ruined for you (as it will always remind you of the stresses you incured). . .but maybe some huge Gucci fan may want to try and work on fixing it! Maybe sell it for $20 or 30 to recover a bit of your $. Be sure to bold print the problems with it ands say this is why you''re selling it for so little!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2005 12:30:34 PM
Author: MC
Once all this stuff has cleared and settled (and I know this may sound a bit far fetched) but can you then possibly put the clutch back up on eBay explaining EXACTLY what is wrong with it? There''s got to be SOMEBODY out there willing to work on getting it fixed. I think at this point, the purse is entirely ruined for you (as it will always remind you of the stresses you incured). . .but maybe some huge Gucci fan may want to try and work on fixing it! Maybe sell it for $20 or 30 to recover a bit of your $. Be sure to bold print the problems with it ands say this is why you''re selling it for so little!

Actually, I thought about reselling it, but at this point, I want to try to get my money back first.
To sell it for $20 or $30 would mean that I am still at a loss of $150, I paid $257 with the shipping. So, minus the $77 I got refunded to me, I still paid $180 for it.
That''s alot of money for me to lose.
I would rather try to get my money back from ebay and if not, I can also call my credit card company to see what they say.
2.gif

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Can you get the clutch fixed by Gucci? I know I''ve dropped my bag off for repairs before. I''m sure there are some things they may charge for, but I have yet to be charged...I''ve had problems with a clasp on the bag. I drop it off, tell them what needs to be fixed, they send it out and it is dropped back off at my door. Might be worth a try if there is a Gucci store by you. If not, maybe try Saks or Neimans? I''m not sure how repairs are done through those stores, or if it is even possible.

I''m sorry this ebay experience has been so stressful
20.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
, I paid $257 with the shipping. So, minus the $77 I got refunded to me, I still paid $180 for it.
That''s alot of money for me to lose.
Yikes! I didn''t realize you paid so much.

Good luck. I hope you are able to get this all squared away!

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2005 2:03:47 AM
Author: Blue824
Can you get the clutch fixed by Gucci? I know I''ve dropped my bag off for repairs before. I''m sure there are some things they may charge for, but I have yet to be charged...I''ve had problems with a clasp on the bag. I drop it off, tell them what needs to be fixed, they send it out and it is dropped back off at my door. Might be worth a try if there is a Gucci store by you. If not, maybe try Saks or Neimans? I''m not sure how repairs are done through those stores, or if it is even possible.

I''m sorry this ebay experience has been so stressful
20.gif

I thought about this, but it is so old, I am sure they will charge me. And they do charge alot!

I had my Gucci watch fixed a few months ago and they added on a lot of charges, so by the time my bill came, I had to pay a total of $237. I only brought it in for a polishing, but they said it needed a new bezel, polishing, etc.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I''m so surprised! Every one of my friends that has had bags fixed by prada or gucci have never been charged, so I always just assumed as long as they were sort of minor that there was nothing to it. However, I always tell them they can only fix what I''ve asked for and before I''m charged they have to ask me. But yeah, if they''re going to charge you an extra $300 to have it fixed, that''s quite an investment in a bag that you weren''t expecting to put any money into. Sorry the guy is being such a jerk...I hope you''re able to get somewhere through eBay, PayPal and/or your credit card. I think people like that assume if they make it difficult enough people will figure it isn''t worth the trouble, and a lot of people decide not to go through with getting their money back. Like they said before, just keep a good record of everything...save all emails, phone messages and the dates & times he called or you called just so it is thorough.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
The thing is, it is a gorgeous clutch, so vintage looking and I love the colors, expresso chocolate with caramel leather edges. I wish I could just get it fixed. I would just keep it for myself.
I am going to see my sister tomorrow and ask her if she wouldn''t mind keeping it and just getting it fixed herself.
The Christmas spirit has suddenly taken over me and I feel I just need to get past this and get over it.
If she says she doesn''t have a problem with it, I will just give it to her and cancel this whole thing and make like it never happened.
I will see, it all depends on her.
I just want to get past this whole situation so because I hate to have things hanging for the new year!
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Just an update....
I showed it to my sister yesterday and she said she loved it and wouldn''t mind taking it the way it was, so problem solved.
I retracted my dispute on ebay since she is going to keep it!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great news...I hope she can find someone to fix it for her, or use it the way it is...!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results