shape
carat
color
clarity

Authenticating Handbag

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, I shop on eBay all the time, but ususally, I buy face creams and CDs and stuff like this. . . items that are generally real. Yesterday, I found an auction for a really cute little wool tote by Kate Spade that looks fun, so I bid and won the auction. I hardly paid anything for the tote, so I'm not concerned that I blew hundreds on a knockoff. . . Out of curiosity, I do plan on taking it into Nordstrom and having it looked at. Can any handbag department employee there authenticate Kate Spade or are some of the sales girls not all that savvy?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would not expect the sales girl to know over much about the bags. But you could compare the interior of the bags and that might give you a general idea.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a Kate Spade store nearby? You could walk in and tell them you received it as a gift, and just wanted to make sure it was authentic.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
FG took the words right out of my mouth!! Don''t tell them you got it on ebay, just say a relative gave it to you for your birthday and you wanted to know if they bought the real deal.
2.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have a Kate Spade store nearby?
Actually, as far as I know, there isn''t a Kate Spade store nearby me (Seattle/Bellevue, WA, shopping region), so Nordstrom is pretty much my only option.
8.gif
oh well, I will try Nordstrom and see what the sales girls say. Hopefully it''s real. Even if I paid next to nothing, I''d feel awkward carrying around a knockoff.

Blue824

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know how much the girls at Nordstrom would know, since they don't just sell Kate Spades they might not know all the details. Something major that I've always noticed is how the label is affixed...fake KS bags usually have the labels glued on instead of stitched. Also, on a lot of fake bags, the stitching isn't always straight or tight. Also, the fakes I've seen are usually nylon or fake leather, I'd think a fake wool bag would be rare, just my opinion though, if I were making the purchase I'd have the same concerns you have!

Then I also found this link with a quick ebay search: http://ihatecounterfeitbags.info/faq
And this link off of them too is helpful: http://ihatecounterfeitbags.info/newhallofshame
That site also has a section showing example of lots of bags from different seasons...maybe they'll have yours posted? I guess I'm taking the person's word that what they're describing is true, but its pretty thorough!

Sort of funny, while doing this search I came across a news article that told me something about a different brand I had, and it didn't hold true for mine, and they were both bought at the official stores...I guess there may always be an exception.

I had remembered hearing that the actual ks website had a section saying how to tell if they were fake because of her being so against that (what designer isnt?) but I looked and couldn't find anything of the sort.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Actually, you can tell them you got it on ebay. It should not make a difference to them and they can''t refuse to authenticate based on where it was purchased.

When I brought my CB Papillon and the key cles, they asked me where I got it from and I told them. They said I was so lucky because they have had 3 other people purchase bags from ebay in the past few weeks and they were fakes!

Lately, sellers have been showing pictures of the real thing and then sending out the fake bag once the auction has been paid.

I guess I am one of the lucky one!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/4/2005 2:49:23 AM
Author: Blue824
Then I also found this link with a quick ebay search: http://ihatecounterfeitbags.info/faq
And this link off of them too is helpful: http://ihatecounterfeitbags.info/newhallofshame
Okay, thanks again and thanks for the web sites. Lots of good info on there! There''s some really cute KP knockoffs!
9.gif

Since Butterfly mentioned that some sellers are posting real photos on auctions and sending out fakes, I doubt I''ll buy another on eBay. However, like I said, I paid next to nothing for the tote, so it was worth the risk just this one time. . .but the price may be a clear sign the bag is fake or I got a REALLY good deal. Since I have to send out a money order, it''ll be a good week or two until the bag comes. I''ll post photos then
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Isn''t this a cute fake?

KSfakeredorientalsydney.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
My computer is all messed up so I can't see the pic...But if you paid almost nothing for it, I'm going to guess it's fake. I am a member of the 'if it's too good to be true' school. Not that you can't get a great deal...but if you're paying 20 bucks for a kate spade, it's fake (not that that's what you paid)...If it's brand new or if it's relatively recent, there is no reason for the seller to sell at such a discount. A large discount yes, but then there is too good to be true territory...But even if it's fake and you think it's real and you paid a good price...well, that's a good thing too! :)

I will buy handbags on ebay but not from power sellers and only if they answer ALL of my questions.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
The picture I posted is a fake. It''s a photo of a purse from a how-to-spot-fakes website. I just thought it was cute, so I posted a photo.
1.gif

The one I bought is gray wool. You''re probably right that it''s fake since I only paid $26 plus shipping. . .it''s really tiny though and used. We''ll see!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Well, ya never know. Especially if it''s used and small...and for that price, like you said, you have a cute bag no matter what!

I downloaded something that crashed my lap top...so I have to use "safe" mode online and I can''t see any pix....darn it....until we can debug

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/9/2005 8:45:02 PM
Author: moremoremore
Well, ya never know. Especially if it's used and small...and for that price, like you said, you have a cute bag no matter what!
Yeah, I guess you never know. Kate Spade handbags are so affordable that it's hard for me to justify buying a used one when a
for-sure authentic one can be purchased for less than $200, so my thought at the time was I'll buy if the bag is cheap. That said, the bag I bought, without a doubt is fake. The moment I opened the box and found the purse wrapped in a plastic Walmart bag, I had a gut feeling I would be finding a knockoff inside. The purse is cute, but the Kate Spade label easily peels back. I didn't even need to pick at it to discover this! The handles on the purse don't line up properly so when I put it on, it sits unevenly on my shoulder. Too bad. A cute gray wool tote would have been an idea addition to my wardrobe. . .

I contacted the seller and he said he'll give me a refund. He has 100% pos. feedback so I guess he doesn't want to mess this up!

I do want to get a new handbag, but am going to buy retail. I don't want to fuss w/eBay. . .I found a few cute little purses at the Coach outlet store, so I think this is a good route to go!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
MC, I''m so sorry it was fake, but at least the ebay seller is giving you a refund!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results