shape
carat
color
clarity

Has anyone ever seen something like this?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ciger

Rough_Rock
Ok, I think that I''ve just figured out how to attach a file (convert it to .jpg! aha!) so I''m good to go. See how the head of this ring is a crown shape and probably has a hole in the bottom similar to the basket setting? I''m looking for that, only with a super thin (1.5mm) band attached directly to the base of the basket. Has anyone seen that anywhere?

winkjones_shortset1.JPG

TheDoctor

Shiny_Rock
Not sure why you would want to go that thin.
After all, don't you want the ring to be comfortable?
To survive the wear and tear?

No matter what metal the ring is made of, 1.5 mm doesn't give you enough tensile strength to resist bending, unless you go for thickness, which becomes uncomfortable to wear.

The rule of thumb is 2 mm wide by 1.75-2.00 mm thick, with a hardenable alloy or a tough one to begin with.
Platinum would be useless in these minimal dimensions unless heat-treated, and most of the manufacturers don't know how to do it.

It's o.k. if all you do is sit around sipping tea and ordering your servants to attend to the daily chores, but in the real world, skinny jewellery is probematic to women who are 'hands-on" in nature.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2005 9:38:21 PM
Author: TheDoctor

Not sure why you would want to go that thin.

Almost nobody bothers with a disclaimer that the wire-thin looks are not practical, just like you just did... ''Thin'' is fashionable. Some say thin bands make diamonds look big, and that is bound to catch.

E.g. does something like THIS makes sense?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
The thinnest band I''ve even seen DISCUSSED around here is 1.7mm (Ritani Endless Love). Have you tried on 1.5mm bands in person? Also - you''re trying to hold up a 1.5 - 2.0 ct stone? It''s going to be top heavy, spin and lean FORWARD with that little a band to hold onto. Even if you COULD find this, I doubt you''d be happy with it. Yr. stone is going to look PLENTY big, I swear. You don''t need to do backbends & live with discomfort to "plump up" its appearance a miniscule amount. IMHO, that is.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have it on good authority that the person who made that ring could make one for you. I also think he would warn you that you would probably not be happy with it for very long as it would bend and not be strong enough to hold the head very well.

Wink

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/8/2005 6:22:17 PM
Author:ciger

Has anyone seen that anywhere?

Would this qualify? Link

I liked the finish there, butthe ring is not complicated - if you wanted a slightly modified version, it should be feasible at Wink's where you saw the original or elsewhere.

The ring to the right below is another Pricescoper's ring (forgot the refference) that does have the 'basket' look more pronounced. The other is just a vintage version.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
oups...

TBaskets.JPG

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Valaria,

The ring you show to the right hand side is very attractive and should give our supplicant the look he desires with the strength in the lower shank to stand up to normal wear. The weak part of the ring will be the joining of the shank to the head and this will wear out within ten to fifteen years in gold I would think, but be much more wearable than the 1.5mm band all around which I doubt would wear well for even a couple of years.

Obviously I should think more before I respond, as that ring would be an excellent comprimise between the asked for and the existing while still having much more wearability than the asked for yet having the look wanted.

Ciger, if you like that look perhaps Valaria can find the reference so that you can speak with the original designer.

Wink

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/10/2005 10:39:31 AM
Author: Wink

The weak part of the ring will be the joining of the shank to the head and this will wear out within ten to fifteen years in gold I would think...

Aha! ... never quite got it why the shank is extended with that bezel ring under the head of ''Tiffany style'' rings. Clear enough.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi
I am the lucky owner of the ring Valeria posted photos of . It was made in platinum by Garry Holloway (Precious Metals in Melbourne Australia) and the diamond was from MDX.
I needed a very sturdy ring with low set diamond, as it is rarely off my hand, but I wanted the stone to be the main feature, with little platinum visible from a straight down view. I am still thrilled with it and think the very narrow bit of platinum near the head has helped with "shrinkage".
9.gif

A year later and it still looks huge to me every time it catches my eye LOL.

Many thanks again to everyone here in helping educate me about diamonds and thankyou for all the lovely messages when I posted about my purchase. It was very very appreciated.
Seasons Greetings to all.
Angela.

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hand shots showing the thin profile from above:

ARing555555.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results