shape
carat
color
clarity

Please help- is this is a good price for this cushion cut?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jjj333

Rough_Rock
GIA certified
Cushion Brilliant
G
SI1
1.48 carat
Depth- 65.7%
Table-62%
Girdle- Medium to Very Thick
Culet - Medium
Very Good Polish
Very Good Symmetry

$6.5K

Also, is the medium a culet okay on a cushion or is it completely undesireable?

Thanks!

jjj333

Rough_Rock
Also, any feedback on the specs of the stone would be appreciated~

Thanks, J.

jjj333

Rough_Rock
anybody??? please?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What more to say than a search on this database (or any other) could?
2.gif

How big is it (size, not weight) ?

A fine cut is more about brilliance than those poor numbers on the lab report. That may make a difference on whether your quote was a good price or too much or too little.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For example... 6.5k fits rather well among these. No way to comment about how yours looks (or how these do).

By instinct, I'd wish the first on the list would look great (brilliant and ok clarity-wise) because it seem large and comes out relatively 'cheap'. What gives there only the seller (or woever has it right now) knows for sure. The diamond is rectangular, but that doesn't seem to be a problem for cushions. So... what more to say?

WhatIfs.JPG

jjj333

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the reply Ana--I appreciate it.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been doing a lot of cushion research lately, so I''ll try to help...but take everything I say with a grain of salt, I''m no expert!

The depth and table look pretty good, but Ana''s right, I couldn''t even begin to make judgements about the cut without more info, at least the measurements of the stone. Post more numbers and you will probably get more of a response.

As for the culet, I happen to like them in most cushions, but I also happen to like older cuts. Do you know what kind of cushion you are looking for? Because with a culet that size, it probably is an older cut...or a very poorly done modern cut. Check out that link if you haven''t already. It should give you a better idea -- if you don''t already have one -- of what you like and don''t like in a cushion.

Do you have any other information from the vendor? I wouldn''t reccommend buying a cushion without seeing it. There are too many variables.

Please post more infomation...pics would even be better!
31.gif
...and I will try to help.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2005 6:17:50 PM
Author: fatafelice

Because with a culet that size, it probably is an older cut...or a very poorly done modern cut.
I used to think that way... until the Daniel K brand of cusion cuts turned up with non-pointy culets! They should probably have a tiny keel - but sometimes it is flattened and this results in a non-zero culet on the lab report. "Very good' finish grades for a fancy are not all that common - so this may be one of those fancy new cuts after all.

It is sooooo frustrating to see NOTHIG of these stones posted like this
7.gif

Since we know nothing of what this one looks, it could be fantastic and have a medium culet.

Btw - 'medium' in GIA terms is minuscule (the white dot in the culet spot below). The OMC visible open culets are probably 'extremely large' on a lab report - whenever one finds an old cut with GIA paper. Unfortunately those are not quite well liked - but old cut styles are still done so... it's all in the stars and buyers' taste.

medculet.JPG

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, Ana! I guess I thought anything medium or above would be pretty visible. I personally like the size of Diamondgirl''s culet, and it is listed as "slightly large." So I guess it is that or above for me!
9.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/29/2005 7:32:05 PM
Author: fatafelice

I personally like the size of Diamondgirl''s culet, and it is listed as ''slightly large.''

So is the diamond! Goodness... LINK

So I guess it is that or above for me!

Second you on this one. It is incredible enough that something so transparent can reflect so much light - and the tiny window in the middle of the stone is a reminder of sorts... for me. The new ''old mine'' style cut diamonds with great symmetry & all that many true old ones do not have are quite something. Too bad there aren''t more around here.
38.gif

targa

Rough_Rock
why are cushion cut diamonds so much cheaper than round stones?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Fancies are cheaper than rounds...I believe it''s bc of the rough needed to make the cut....

but some cushions are much more expensive than other cusihons...the danny k style cushions are pretty pricey indeed.

jjj333

Rough_Rock
Fatafelice--thanks for the link--that is helpful. The dimensions of the stone are 6.73 x 6.71 x 4.41 mm and it has no fluoresence. I got the rest of that info today from the GIA cert; it is a cushion brilliant, not a cushion modified brilliant. However, I was mistaken on the price--it is actually $7.5K, not $6.5K. That is pretty much all of the information off of the certificate (along with what I originally posted). The diamond is nice in person, but now, I am very curious if that would be considered "expensive" for a stone with those specs . . .

Thanks, J.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/30/2005 12:24:08 AM
Author: jjj333

The diamond is nice in person, but now, I am very curious if that would be considered 'expensive' for a stone with those specs . . .

Well, it is 'expensive' if you can find something at least as nice cheaper (what else is new)
31.gif

The square ones may be priced higher. Did you specifically wanted a square cushion to begin with?

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
So you have seen the stone in person? That makes all the difference! It does seem a *little* higher than I would expect for an SI, but if it has an amazing cut, I think the price is truly reasonable. It has a very nice spread(mm size) for the carat weight (for a cushion at any rate
2.gif
). Do you love it? I think that is what should make the decision, because the price is not unreasonable. Any chance you could bargain it down a few hundred?

For my own curiosity
34.gif
, if you have seen the cert and the stone, what kind of cushion is it? Considering what Ana said about culets and the depth (which is more shallow than most antique cuts), it does sound like a modern cut. If you do purchase it, you had better post pics! There are a few of us who are very dedicated to the cushions!
9.gif

jjj333

Rough_Rock
Valeria--yes I am specifically looking for one as square as possible. I really like the way that looks with the pave "halo" around it.

fatafelice-- As far as the cut, all I know is that it is a "cushion brilliant" cut which was certified by GIA in the last year or so, but as I understand, it is a more "antiquey" stone as it is not a cushion "modified" brilliant. I do really like the stone but was dissappointed to find that the price was $1K higher than I thought, because I was reaching to get it when I thought it was $6.5K. I don't believe there is any chance of bargaining it down at all. I have to think about it--if I get it, I will definitely post pics.

fatafelice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 10:51:43 PM
Author: jjj333
Valeria--yes I am specifically looking for one as square as possible. I really like the way that looks with the pave 'halo' around it.

fatafelice-- As far as the cut, all I know is that it is a 'cushion brilliant' cut which was certified by GIA in the last year or so, but as I understand, it is a more 'antiquey' stone as it is not a cushion 'modified' brilliant.

Well, the title "cushion brilliant" is misleading, because GIA actually uses that designation for several different types of cushion cuts, including modern ones (see below). That is not to say that it wouldn't be a beautiful stone -- they very often are, and have good light return -- but if you (or she) realy want an antique looking stone, make sure that is what you are getting by looking at it closely yourself. I know you said you have seen it and I know you looked at the types of cushions in the other thread...which did it look most like to you?

I do really like the stone but was dissappointed to find that the price was $1K higher than I thought, because I was reaching to get it when I thought it was $6.5K. I don't believe there is any chance of bargaining it down at all. I have to think about it--if I get it, I will definitely post pics.

I'm sorry that there was aparently a misunderstanding about the price. Did the vendor change the price or was the mistake yours? If the vendor is changing prices on you, I would be wary. If you don't mind me asking, who is the vendor for this stone? One of the PS advertisers? A local B&M? I ask because if it is a local place, but they don't actually own the stone themselves, odds are good that one of the internet retailers could get the same stone for you for less! Worth looking into, IMO. Regardless, $7.5K is still a decent price...if you decide not to get the stone, please tell me where you found it...I might be interested
31.gif
!
All of these stones are described by GIA as "cushion brilliant." Very differerent, no?

ETA: well, the two in the middle are actually pretty simialr, but you get the point!
2.gif

cushionbrilliantcomp.jpg

jjj333

Rough_Rock
fatafelice--it was an honest mistake on the part of the seller-we were looking at severy diamonds and he mixed up prices. My family and some friends have done business with them before--it is a B&M with quite of bit of merchandise here in LA. I am pretty sure they actually own the diamond.

Not too sure what kind of cushion it was--I did not really pay attention to the plot on the cert. The antiquity of the stone is not that important to us--just that it is brilliant, and this one is. I will let u know if I do not go for it!

Thanks!

J.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results