shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MR E

Rough_Rock
Hi

I''m planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me, and I know she loves Tiffany''s jewellery.

Question is, is the name worth the high pricetag? I''m looking at a classic Tiffany seting .45ct H VVS priced at $5,072

And I know everone asks this but what is average spend 1 months salary or 3??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi and welcome
35.gif
Is Tiffany's worth the pricetag? It is purely a matter of opinion. You could get far more diamond for your money from an online vendor, but Tiffany's sell very good diamonds by all accounts - it may be worth the premium to you and your GF for her to have the blue box and be able to say her ring came from Tiffany. I just did a quick search using the specs you posted and for a similar diamond the Tiffany mark up is MUCH higher FYI. The months salary question has been bandied about, it isn't a rule but a suggestion only, I believe the average is 2 months however couples spend what they can afford and are comfortable with. Also unless a VVS quality is very important to you, you could drop to a VS or SI clarity and still have a very clean diamond which would save considerably. There is a recent thread on this subject which I will find for you and post in a minute. Wherever you purchase, make cut your top priority, however with Tiffany's this shouldn't be a concern as they have very exacting standards for their cut quality.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-but-not-your-standard-question.36421/ This is the thread, you might find some of the info helpful.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! I recommend Tiffany''s. The customer service is excellent, you''ll always be able to have the ring repaired there if necessary and they''ll take the ring back if you ever want to trade up.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I think you have to consider what your GF values in a ring. Some value size, some value clarity, some value name brands ect. Personally, because diamonds are such expensive little things, I like to get the most diamond for my money, maximizing cut, color and size. I had once thought I needed a Cartier ring but when I began searching online, I just could not fork over money to Cartier that would buy me another 3/4 of a carat online, everything else being equal. Bottom line, what would make your GF truly happy?

sxn675

Shiny_Rock
I agree that you should talk to your girlfriend or take her ring shopping to see what she values in a ring. It helps if you have an idea of your budget and what that would get at different places so that she can try on what she''d be likely to get at Tiffany''s or at another store.

My husband''s friends told him to get my ring at Tiffany''s. But, he was a surgery intern when we met, so budget was a concern! His budget was similar to yours (as far as I can tell). Well, I''m a size person, so we wound up getting a ring from Whiteflash (just under a carat). I still want to upgrade someday, but overall, I''m happy with my ring and I probably would have thought the just under a half carat ring from Tiffany''s was too small for me. If you are indeed set on Tiffany''s, you may want to consider checking out Signed Pieces to see what they have.

Good luck!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get a side by side comparison.
What you need is two H+A diamonds with superb cuts.
One with the same specs as the Tiffany.
One with the same price as the Tiffany.

Here is a H+A .51ct G VVS1 with slightly better specs and superb cut for $2500.

[URL='http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_51ct_g_vvs1__h%26a.htmThis']http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_51ct_g_vvs1__h%26a.htm[/url]

This
vendor, Good Old Gold, has a 30-day return policy.
Buy this diamond, (with the intent of returning it within 30 days).
Be sure to get a clip-ring so she can wear it.

Have her wear it into Tiffany.
Slip on Tiffany’s .45ct H VVS right next to it.
The Tiffany is twice the price; does it look twice as good?

Now return the diamond and buy this H+A .85ct F VVS2 for $5069 (the same price as that .45ct Tiffany)
It is twice the weight and two color grades better for the same price.

[url=http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_85ct_f_vvs2_h&a.htm]http://www.goodoldgold.com/0_85ct_f_vvs2_h&a.htm

Wear
this one into Tiffany and compare.[/URL]
Then decide.
This may cost you under $100 in shipping charges.
But WHAT an education you will get!

This might seem like you are taking advantage of Good Old Gold.

But actually I suspect you will end up buying your diamond from them.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
"Question is, is the name worth the high pricetag? "

No.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
.45 Tiffany vs .85 super ideal cut or like from reputable online jeweler (Good Old Gold & Whiteflash are two ex. examples) is a no-brainer IMHO.

Go big or go home.
2.gif
(To put it in "boy" talk).

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow, that price is astronomical! Five thousand for a .45? Way too much. In this case the brand name is NOT worth that pricetag.

I love Tiffany jewelry too, but for big purchases, I look for better deals and for little purchases (less than $500) I look into Tiffany''s
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 3:40:23 PM
Author: MC

I love Tiffany jewelry too, but for big purchases, I look for better deals and for little purchases (less than $500) I look into Tiffany''s
2.gif

I agree. My sister in law LOVES Tiffany''s. My brother buys her small gifts from there under the $500 mark all the time, b-days, anniversary''s, etc. When it was time for an e-ring he wanted the biggest diamond he could afford and with his budget Tiffany wouldn''t buy him much. He shopped elsewhere and has even upgraded her ring 2 times already in 2 years of marriage. I''m pretty sure at Tiffany''s you only get one upgrade and you have to spend double the price. Not worth the mark-up for me but you''ve got to find out what''s most inportant to her. The little blue box or a bigger diamond.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 3:40:23 PM
Author: MC
2.gif

I "third" this ... probably should have added to my previous post that I''m a "Tiffany" girl through & through. My everyday watch is a Tiffany tank style that I bought myself for my 30th birthday. I cherish it and even considered how my future/now current e-ring would look with it, as I won''t switch until I can afford the Jaeger Reverso.

I also daily wear an open heart Tiffany pendant, 1st gift from fiance. And have received & given Tiffany jewelry at big milestones throughout my adult life.

HOWEVER ... is my e-ring Tiffany? NO WAY, JOSE. Besides being a "Tiffany" girl I am also a "Size Ho".

I''ve got a sneaking suspicion, no matter how big a Tiffany fan your girl is ... she''d probably feel like I would (but then again, don''t we all think we''re "right"!)
2.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
The ridiculous Tiffany mark-up may be worth it to your gf, if that is something she really values. To me, definitely not worth it. Find out what is most important to her, and you''ll be golden
1.gif

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/30/2005 4:39:06 PM

Besides being a 'Tiffany' girl I am also a 'Size Ho'.

2.gif

LOL!!
9.gif
9.gif

I agree with decodelighted. My fiance was also considering Tiffany b/c his budget was large enough to afford a decent stone. However, I AM SO GLAD HE DIDN'T!! Even though I am a brand hore, I would much rather my 2ct D VVS2 than a smaller, lower clarity and color stone at Tiffany. You can get around a 1ct stone for that color and clarity. And with these guys at pricescope, you will probably need not worry about cut, b/c they will definately help you through it.

Ofcourse the final decision is up to you and what your girlfriend wants! If she is not a size girl, than Tiffany will probably make her happier.
16.gif

rosy

Shiny_Rock
I would not get a Tiffany ring again. No one can tell it''s from Tiffany anyway, it''s not like driving a Mercedes where the symbol, label is prominently displayed. Only get a Tiffany ring if price is no object. Other than that, look elsewhere. I was so concerned about people caring where my ring came from & let me tell you that 90% of people don''t even bother to ask. They just say it''s a beautiful stone & that''s that.

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,

Tiffany''s.....never heard of them???

My advice would be to get the ''best diamond'' you can possibly afford. Forget the name..it''s not important!

best wishes dyanne

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/1/2005 2:32:15 AM
Author: rosy
I would not get a Tiffany ring again. No one can tell it''s from Tiffany anyway, it''s not like driving a Mercedes where the symbol, label is prominently displayed. Only get a Tiffany ring if price is no object. Other than that, look elsewhere. I was so concerned about people caring where my ring came from & let me tell you that 90% of people don''t even bother to ask. They just say it''s a beautiful stone & that''s that.
if they ask...JUST LIE.
31.gif
9.gif

Gonzodogg

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/29/2005 4:31:16 AM
Author:MR E
Hi

I''m planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me, and I know she loves Tiffany''s jewellery.

Question is, is the name worth the high pricetag? I''m looking at a classic Tiffany seting .45ct H VVS priced at $5,072

And I know everone asks this but what is average spend 1 months salary or 3??
If you are set on Tiffany''s - go for it. (I personally do not think that a blue box should double the price of a diamond)
Maybe you could save some money with Tiffany''s (oxymoron) if you dropped down the clarity to a VS, and even the color to an I. Let me know if anyone dissagrees but I don''t think there is any way you will see a difference between an H VVS and an I VS2.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Definitely not worth the markup IMO, and I love Tiffany''s and the blue box and all that. But save the markup for lesser items - get her a bigger, better ering somewhere else for the same price! You can always buy one of their wedding bands for her...I''ve got a channel set Lucida band from Tiffs...but the ering...not worth the markup!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results