shape
carat
color
clarity

Round or Princess?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TheGreenZone12

Rough_Rock
After looking at a few rings I was wondering what everyones opinion is on these styles? I really like the "look" of the princess cut but all of the ideal cut round diamonds just look GREAT!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Are you the male or female? If you are the male you may want to ask your SO what she prefers. If you are the female then perhaps a trip to the mall and see which shape suits your hand better.

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
If you like the ideal of a round and the square of a princess, how about considering something like the square H&A or the Jubilee?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
asscher asscher asscher asscher asscher :}
repeat 10 times.

TheGreenZone12

Rough_Rock
I am the male and I cannot take her to a jewerly store or ask her opinion without giving everything away because she does not wear jewerly.

I have not seen a square H&A any help on where I could find this?

princessv

Brilliant_Rock
Try www.goodoldgold.com to see both and there a ton of other cuts on there as well. Besides GOG gets plenty of rave reviews on this site
1.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/1/2005 12:16:51 AM
Author: TheGreenZone12
I am the male and I cannot take her to a jewerly store or ask her opinion without giving everything away because she does not wear jewerly.

I have not seen a square H&A any help on where I could find this?
Sometimes you can spot an advertisement on the top of the screen that has the square H&A, sorry dont know who markets it.
I just love the Rounds. They sparkle and are more brilliant than Princess cuts in most cases.

picky

Rough_Rock
Rounds strike me as more traditionall and romantic. Princesses strike me as more modern, sharp and minimalist. Right now I''m into princesses. Maybe you could take her personality into consideration on the issue. Just an idea but I''m sure other people see it totally differently!
28.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m a round girl but a well-cut princess can be stunning!! So hard to choose.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I would go round, but I''m a little more traditional. Is she traditional or more modern in her attire (since she does not wear jewelry)?

I''m not a huge princess fan, but I think a square H&A would be lovely. Then again, when it comes to the square shape, I''d pick asscher. Just my 2 cents . . .
20.gif

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
My two favorite shapes are the round (which I have) and the princess. I like really symmetrical shapes on my finger best.

Are you thinking of a particular setting? That may make your decision a little easier. If you want a solitaire, nothing is more classic than a round one, although I LOVE princess solitaires.
30.gif

I think it will be easier to find a well cut round than a well cut princess. Also remember that princess will look smaller for their carat weight compared to a round.

The most important factor is what you think she will like. Maybe she has dropped hints to her family and friends on what she likes. When my cousin''s husband was looking at rings for her, he wanted to get a round but then he found out through her family that she really wanted a princess. So he went with the princess despite the fact he liked the round better.

TheGreenZone12

Rough_Rock
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5393&filter_id=1 That is the setting that I am considering. I really like the princess cut but after being on here and learning a little more I really think I can get more shine for my dime with the round. When I originally spoke to her roommate right away she said Tiffany''s traditional, but I can get a much better ring and diamond for far cheaper.

TheGreenZone12

Rough_Rock
Oh and I would say that she is a modern girl but when it comes to special occasions or being married I would definately say that she is more traditional.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
If she is thinking Tiffany traditional then I would get something the Whiteflash Tiffany Knife Edge. Which is lovely and classic. Engagment rings are however a deeply personal thing. Perhaps you could get her roommate to look through a few Bridal magazines and note which rings your girlfriend likes.

Classic_Beauty

Rough_Rock
I completely love princess cut engagement rings. The round rings seem so plain. That'' just me though.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I agree to check out whiteflash and their tiffany style knife edge mounting. It looks every bit as good as the original, and you''ll get a bigger and better stone for the same $$.
Square shapes have been very popular for a few years now. Rounds have been around forEVER and will probably continue to be popular forever. I have never met anyone who didn''t like the tiffany style round solitaire. (Plenty of people might want something more detailed for themselves, but do you know anyone who thinks it is ugly? I don''t!) Anyway so if you feel like you want a safe bet and just cannot get more information, this is a very safe, classic and beautiful way to go. And she already told her roomie that she likes this style!
If you decide on the diamond but are unsure of the setting style, some people get the diamond in a temporary or very cheap simple setting to propose with, then choose the real one together with their fiancee.
Congratulations!!!

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Have you seen a Radiant cut? If you like the sparkle and brilliance of a round cut, but want a square shape, you might try looking at square shaped Radiant cuts.

I initially thought I wanted an emerald cut, but I wanted the extra sparkle and brilliance that a round cut has. Then I saw a rectangular Radiant cut and I am in love!
3.gif
I think you get the best of both worlds that way, super brilliance but also the square or rectangular look. Radiant cuts come in shapes that are square, rectangular, and in between. Good luck.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
PS I love that blue nile setting that you posted!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I really think you should put a little more effort into finding out what she prefers. Possibly ask parents, sister, other friends? Or better yet, ask her- maybe you can think of some round about way.

That said, my preference is definitely round over princess, but I am not a princess girl at all. I also really love cushions and asschers. So many shapes, and so few fingers
3.gif
So really I''m not much help, other than to say I think you need to ASK HER. She is the one who will wear this ring forever, not us!

squarediamondlove

Shiny_Rock
If you know nothing about what she perfers its hard to say. I''d like to tell you that you can''t go wrong with a round, but then if I got a round from my fiance, at that time, I wouldn''t be very happy at all, since I was absolutely against having a round e-ring. I though they were too traditional. However, being here on pricscope and seeing the H&A made me grow a lot more appreciative of rounds (that''s going to be the next diamond I buy). Anyway, back to my point, you should really make sure that she will like the shape.

Form what her friend says, if she thinks she will want a classic tiffany look, than round is the way to go. Just make sure it is actually your gf preference rather than her friend''s preference.

In my opinion, the most important thing to do is, LOOK AT HER HANDS and try to figure out what style will suit her hands better. Sometimes its really all about what looks best on your hand! My friend really wanted a princess, but then when trying rings on, her hand looked more flattering in rounds. Mine looks more flattering in a princess. So its really a case by case thing.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results