shape
carat
color
clarity

Setting gemstone in Silver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I am hoping to get a pink spinel mounted as a necklace for my sister in law for Christmas this year. She mainly wears silver though. I was considering white gold, but if she prefers silver, I might as well save some money.

Does anyone know the best way to find a silver mounting for a stone? Should I just go to any old jewler, or is it worth finding someone online?

Thanks for any help,
Rube

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
to piggy back on your question: i was recently talking high end jewelry in a jewelry store and was told that there is now ''high'' silver, meaning silver now mixed with another alloy that gives it a ''high'' end look. it would appear that not all silver is created equal. if what he was saying is true, perhaps this ''high'' silver would be something for you to explore. anyone know about this?

peace, movie zombie

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/17/2005 2:34:56 PM
Author: movie zombie

... perhaps this ''high'' silver would be something for you to explore. anyone know about this?

There are more than one kind, but none seems too popular. I''ve just read about them - never seen any sample.

You may find articles presenting such alloys on Faceters''com, Ganoskin and The Professional Jeweler mag. One is even made with some platinum content for good name, others are non-tarnish... As far as I understand, these are specialty products offered by a very short list of sources (i.e. one - the inventor).

Honestly, I''d stick with the traditional white metals.

I definitely like the patina of silver when the design takes advantage of it. For a simple basket setting, I can''t quite see why is that a good thing to have. Silver prongs and bezels get tarnished and impossible to clean... and the black oxidized surface shows badly though light color stones. However, I am a true hater of rhodium plating - and that happens to be just the most usual solution for keeping silver settings white.

Either for a simple ready-made setting or custom work, I can''t imagine using silver instead of 14k white gold will cut down the price all that much: the first option is cheap anyway and for the second the cost of metal is a small part of the total anyway. Only heavy designs may be a different story.

Just a random personal thought though... no need to take this too seriously.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for the info re ''high'' silver! i don''t have a problem with cleaning my silver rings because i wear them.....used silver seems to get a patina rather than a tarnish and so i never have cleaned/polished them. i have one i''ve been wearing since february 1999 without it looking tarnished. admittedly i do not wear them around the house!

personally, i think all metals have their time, place, and use but i wouldn''t set a faceted gem into a silver prong setting. but that''s me. i''ve seen some on the internet that looked good but for lots of wear i''m not sure i''d risk it.

peace, movie zombie

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love $5-$50 dollar colored gemstones and love giving them as gifts.
I cant afford $65-$100 for high quality gold settings and the same for chains so siver it is.
If I had to use gold they wouldnt be getting them.

Not one person iv given one too has complained about the silver and a lot of them wear them daily.

Rube

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all for your great responses! I''m still not sure exactly what I''ll do, but I''ll probably check this thread again and think over my options.

9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results