shape
carat
color
clarity

Question about sending a package via USPS registered mail

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
When you send a package via USPS Registered Mail, are you supposed to, or can you, put brown packing paper all around the box? Or, should the package be left plain and use the brown paper tape that is at the post office? I tried looking on the USPS web site but I really couldn''t find the answer.
33.gif

Thanks!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
I just mailed 2 Registered and Insured boxes this week.

I made the mistake of using that clear plastic tape on the plain box. The Post Office removed the tape and put their own brown paper tape on it. Before I mailed the second pkg., I searched a few local stores for the same brown taper like the post office - no luck. So, they had to rip off the old stuff. At least my packages went. Now comes the long wait for returns.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Ann. I have sent packages via USPS registerd mail before but did not wrap them. No one around me sells the paper tape either so I taped the box with clear tape then put the paper tape on top of the clear stuff once I got to the post office. I thought it might be easier to wrap it this time.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Pebbles, I know the post office accepts brown paper wrap on regular packages, but they are picky about registered mail.

I do not use brown paper wrapping because if the paper gets torn off, you lose your address and now no one knows where the package is going. I know for a fact that UPS and FedEx use conveyor belts and those belts often rip off the paper. And even if you use brown paper, you are still going to use tape to tape it up. But if you are going to use brown paper, either put the address on a piece of paper inside the box, or write it on the box with permanent marker. That way, if the brown paper rips off, USPS will know where the package is still going. Actually, that is a good tip for any package, because labels do rip off or get wet, making the address difficult to read.

I find the best way is just to package up the box, go down to the post office, and then put on the brown tape they give you. Heck, it''s free and doesn''t take very long.

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
I wound up taping up the box and putting the brown paper on. The address is on both the box and the paper AND there is a sheet of paper inside with the addresses. I think I have all my bases covered.
2.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
You MUST use brown paper tape. It''s a PAIN IN THE BUTT. Try to make sure all of your seams are not on corners.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results