shape
carat
color
clarity

do you think the regulars on here have some influence...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
over the newbies, when it comes to picking the 4C''s?

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I do... When I came here I was impressed by the wealth of knowledge here...and the fact that it could be cross referenced elsewhere.. I think this site was a life saver and money saver when it came to making informed decision.

Now... I personaly would try to NEVER give advice on the 4 C''s unless it was very very basic.. I am not diamond expert... mommy expert.. but wrong site
28.gif

I do not even feel that I could give an informed opinion but I am more than to agree that there are defnintely some people here that know an awful lot about diamonds

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on the newbie.

there seems to be a large number of regulars guiding people towards diamonds of I, SI2 grade and the best cut and largest possible.
I can't be talked down below GIA's F VS1, and I get smaller stones because of it.
But I only go for the best cut.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a regular, and my first C would be educating the newbie on the impotance of cut. I try to educate them on all parameters of this and then go from there. Some people want size, some want color, others are extremely concerned about clarity. There are those that will sacrifice some C's for others. For me it's all about listening to what they want. Do I think I have any influence, I would say no. But if my posts help someone in making a more informed decision, then that's what puts a smile on my face!!!
1.gif

coconut

Shiny_Rock
(1) Cut- I think the regulars definitely have the greatest influence here. Their expertise is extremely helpful here.
(2) Color - Some influence in terms of reassuring that a well cut J will face up white.... value for the money.... with their stones as examples
(3) Clarity - I think the best suggestion most regulars give is ask a vendor if it is eye-clean
(4) Carat - I think there is the least influence here... I think most people are pretty set with the size..

But then again I think another area the regulars influence is the vendor.
Many people suggest that you work with a reputable vendor of your choice... relying on his eyes to see if the stone is eye-clean.... etc..
At least for me, people''s experiences with vendors influenced my decisions of vendor choice.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2005 11:29:55 PM
Author: coconut

At least for me, people''s experiences with vendors influenced my decisions of vendor choice.
This is a whole additional topic, but worth noting: It''s amazing how many people recommend a vendor without having actually purchased from the seller. "I haven''t boughten from X vendor, but would do so in a heartbeat."

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
People come here for education and they get lots of different opinions on how they should make that purchase or buy that stone or design that setting. Most people can pick through the various comments and figure out what is applicable to them depending on their situation.

So many people have left here after their time with PS and ended up with a product that is SO much nicer than what they could have purchased, or have been educated to buy, at the mall or similar. Knowing that what I have learned here and what I can share, as well as so many others and what they have learned here, helps people here on a daily basis definitely is a positive thing.

I would hope that the influence that we regulars have on newbies buying is to stress the importance of education before a purchase.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think some of the regulars have a lot of influence on a LOT of things.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2005 11:29:55 PM
Author: coconut

(1) Cut- I think the regulars definitely have the greatest influence here. Their expertise is extremely helpful here.
(2) Color - Some influence in terms of reassuring that a well cut J will face up white.... value for the money.... with their stones as examples
(3) Clarity - I think the best suggestion most regulars give is ask a vendor if it is eye-clean
(4) Carat - I think there is the least influence here... I think most people are pretty set with the size..

Many people suggest that you work with a reputable vendor of your choice... relying on his eyes to see if the stone is eye-clean.... etc..
yep...agree 100%,especially the vendor of choice.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
do bears go # 2 in the woods?

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Newbie here. I was definitely influenced by the regulars here during the selection process for my upgrade stone. Prior to PS, I had no clue about the importance of cut, and didn''t know that a high-grade cut can make a stone appear cleaner, whiter, and larger-looking. Now THAT was a major revelation to me, and resulted in my new, beloved HSI1 3.56 RB. If it weren''t for the knowledge exhibited here by regulars and experts alike, I would probably have a 2carat EVS1 right now....with no clue as to the cut quality.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not a regular but quite not a newbie but do need advice when it comes to diamond education. Would I allow a regular to tell me which diamond is best for my budget? Yes of course.

Would I allow a regular to change my mind about the setting or shape of stone I would like? No.

The help and advice the regulars bring the the forum is much appreciated!
36.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOL Ame.

I guess I''m a regular...and I guess things I say might influence some few people sometimes...but I think it mostly boils down to the help that a poster gets from everyone on a thread...and researching of old threads... My knowledge of diamonds is next to nothing (well, outside of ps, maybe more)... that''s why the experts really matter!

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I think the regulars influence newbies, but in some areas more than others.

To me, it seems teh overriding thing pushed on this site is Cut. I was influenced on cut.

Then, eyeclean SI1 and like G color seems to be the most popular target stat that is pushed on here. I still ended up buying a D color VVS2 stone for my own personal reasons. All in all, the regulars gave me more knowledge, but only influenced so much since a lot of it is personal preference. Cut is the easiest to influence at time of purchase since most newbies (like me) had never even heard about a stone''s cut quality until this site.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve learned so much already on this site and I am so excited to learn more! I''ve always loved gemstones and DIAMONDS but never really knew too much about them besides how they look in my rings before!!! Thank you all!!!
36.gif

MiniMouse

Brilliant_Rock
Knowledgeable regulars really are an influence on newbies, but in a very positive way. I know when I first joined Pricescope last year I was dumbstruck that there was so much to know about diamonds, it really confused me at first, so much so that I didn''t want to post or pipe up, because I felt so stupid, hence I seemed to just appear out of the blue (sorry about that folks, I didn''t mean to be rude, just felt embarrassed at being so pathetically uneducated). I persevered with reading the educational sections and other posts and I learnt so much (and made some great friends around the world in the process). I wouldn''t say I know enough to feel confident about educating others but I know enough for my own personal circumstances. However, of course I''d help a friend if they asked.

Time and time again I see the most valuable advice on Pricescope, ie that newbies need to fathom out first what is their priority, which order of importance would they rank the 4 C''s? Once they have that straight in their minds, it''s easier to find the right stone. Of course, most people (except for a lucky few) have the restriction of a budget too, so this generally modifies priorities further and makes them more realistic. Color, carat and clarity can be adjusted, according to which you''re prepared to sacrifice. The only advice I''d confidently give a newbie is that on no account should they sacrifice cut - a good stone is a waste if it has a bad cut.

In a way it''s a good job that diamonds are so different, because it enables us all to individualise what we pick, according to our means. It''s the differences in diamonds that makes it so difficult for newbies to immediately grasp what they want. It''s a learning process that regulars have managed to help newbies out with, for which we''re grateful.

Just imagine how boring it would be on Pricescope if all diamonds were the same cut, D color and IF clarity, and all we had to decide was what size to choose. That would be incredibly boring, plus we''d need microscopes to see the majority of diamonds on ''show me the ring''! The differences in diamonds make it a very interesting subject, plus the valuable experience of regulars, help newbies make an educated purchase at a realistic price.
36.gif
to the regulars who continually help us out and to the vendors who willingly impart their knowledge, without trying to grab a new customer in the process. I, for one, am eternally grateful.

rubyred

Rough_Rock
I just want to say that I have been lurking around here for some time now, and finally joined Pricescope when I had a question of my own. I learned so much, and really think the regulars here, as well as some other newbies are helpful, and well informed. And if they aren''t, they usually tell you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results