shape
carat
color
clarity

Looking for input on a digital camera

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone...

My Bday is coming up and DH is asking what I want. I originally was looking into an iPod, but then I realized, "When would I ever use it?" My lifestyle isn''t conducive for an iPod. But then I realized that I was wanting a new digital camera. I recently took up SCUBA diving and DH can''t dive with me due to medical reasons, so he keeps telling me to take pix. I can''t underwater with my current Coolpix 775 as it''s old and there is not underwater housing made for it. Plus, I''ve been wanting to upgrade my camera for some time...especially since getting back from Europe!

So, I''ve been doing research and have narrowed it down to the Nikon Coolpix 5900 or 7900 (both of which have UW housings available). Does anyone have any feedback on either one of these cameras??

TIA!!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Sorry, I have no feedback on the cameras...but I did want say that you know we would LOVE to see pics too when you get the new camera and UW housing!!
3.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Rascal...the housing will have to come later once I get and camera and decide it''s the one I want...but when I get UW pix, I''ll definitely post some for you!!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Matatora...thanks for the link!! Actually, I''ve looked through that review site already, which is great, but also makes me more confused!!!
33.gif

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
AChioA-
I have a Nikon Coolpix, but an older one, a 3MPix. I love the Nikon. I got it because it uses AA batteries, and I can buy the rechargable ones super cheap (compared to the proprietary batteries)
However, like some of the reviews probably say, the CF card format is rather slow, so if you're looking for something that will snap pictures really quick w/little downtime in between (like if you see some cool fish underwater!) it might be kinda slow reading to memory. I don't know if this is something they've updated in the new cameras. I have a hard time taking pics in low light conditions (a prob w/many point and clicks anyway) and w/moving objects... esp animals. This is somewaht adjustable w/the manual settings but not completely.

Steve's digicams website also has a lot of reviews on cameras. Very useful.

Reading some stuff on the 5600 it looks like it supports SD cards. Don't know much about them, but they might be better than CF cards!!

ETA: Nikon lenses are considered superb quality. Can't go wrong in that dept!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i haven''t used the nikon coolpix, but it was on my list of contenders. i can''t wait to see your pics once you decide!
36.gif

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
flopkins...I''ve also been using Steve''s website as well!!! It seems that they all say similar things about the cameras I''m looking at.

I''m starting to lean towards the Coolpix 7900 as I can buy it at Costco and their return policy is SO flexible that if I decide 6 months later that I don''t like it, they''ll let me return it without any questions asked...and I can still get the underwater housing for it!!

I''ll keep you posted....

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Well...I took DH to Costco today so we could look at the Nikon Coolpix 7900. I decided I wanted to purchase the camera from Costco as their return policy is the best, bar none!

So I brought DH to Costco and showed him what I would like. He suggested we buy it right there and then although my B-day is 3 weeks away!!!
36.gif
So we purchased it and a 1 GB SD card. I''ve been having so much fun taking pictures of my kitties and playing with the macro of my w-set! It''s quite a camera! The macro setting is incredible, but in the night, the shadow of the lens shows up on my pictures, so I want to play around with it in the daytime and in different lighting situations!!!

It''s quite a camera...I won''t get the underwater housing for it immediately, but I will soon!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll just mention, consider a real SLR with interchangeable lenses.

I bought a $300 digital.
It is too slow.
When you click the shutter on a regular digital there is a lag time before it actually takes the pic.
What if you are trying to capture the ever-changing facial expression of a kid at a party?
Then you have to wait for the image to appear and for the camera to get ready for the next shot, several seconds.
I get so frustrated.

I'm considering the Nikon D50 at $800 or the D70s at about $1000.

I hate buying something only to learn it is dissapointing and then have to buy something better.

Consider buying your last camera first.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
kenny...thanks for the input....so far, the lag time on this camera is almost neglible. I understand what you''re talking about though as my last digital camera had quite a lag time! This camera can shoot 1.7 frames per second in multiple image mode. And there is a "Best Shot Selector" where the camera can take 3 frames instantly and then choose the best of the 3 depending on sharpness, etc.

I''m still playing with the options, but an SLR is more than what I need (my BIL has one and it''s quite impressive!)...

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
glad you got what you wanted achio! aren''t new toys so fun!?
36.gif

now let''s see some pics!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
belle...I will as soon as I figure out some things...

I thing I''ve noticed (and maybe someone can help with this) this that when the macro setting is used in a semi-lighted room, there tends to be a shadow left in the pic where the lens is protruding from the flash and the source of light in the room...I''m still trying to figure out how to better use this feature so a shadow doesn''t develop...it would be awful to present my rings with this new camera and have it overshadowed by a shadow!!!

Any suggestions??

codex57

Brilliant_Rock
I''d also like to mention dpreviews.com

As for the D70, wait a bit and search around the web. I talked to my bro-in-law and he was telling me that the D70 is going for $700 something right now. We''re (wife and I) still gonna go all out and get a D200 when it comes out even tho we''re complete newbs.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
dpreviews.com was essential in helping me make my decision on the Coolpix 7900!!!! It''s a very detailed sight that gives a lot of solid, reliable information.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/7/2005 11:49:37 AM
Author: AChiOAlumna
belle...I will as soon as I figure out some things...

I thing I've noticed (and maybe someone can help with this) this that when the macro setting is used in a semi-lighted room, there tends to be a shadow left in the pic where the lens is protruding from the flash and the source of light in the room...I'm still trying to figure out how to better use this feature so a shadow doesn't develop...it would be awful to present my rings with this new camera and have it overshadowed by a shadow!!!

Any suggestions??

shut the flash and get more light.
otherwise use the standard macro not super macro and back up to 10-20 inches.
shot at the highest resolution then crop the image to get what you want.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/16/2005 1:05:53 AM
Author: strmrdr
shut the flash and get more light.
otherwise use the standard macro not super macro and back up to 10-20 inches.
shot at the highest resolution then crop the image to get what you want.

Thanks so much!!!! This helps a lot!!! I will try this out and let you know how it works!!!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results