• Chanukah

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • New Year''s Eve

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • St. Patty''s Day

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/30/2005 6:02:18 PM
Author: Matatora

Date: 10/30/2005 4:30:53 PM
Author: Mara
Why not V Day for most? Well for me, Valentine''s Day isn''t a real ''holiday'' IMO..it''s mostly just a marketing gimmick...you should actually treat your SO like you want to be treated on VDay ALL YEAR LONG!

I like most holidays because you can get together with friends and family, love 4th of July for the ''American''-ness of it...apple pie and hamburgers and all that.

But Christmas just wins out every time. I like Thanksgiving too but I don''t love the holidays that are just one day or where you don''t DECORATE for them, that is what gets me with Christmas. All the pre-planning, the music, the tree, the decor, it makes it seem much more fun since it''s longer-term I guess.
I meant that it was intreasting that she did put Valentines Day as an option but she did St Patricks day, to me they are on the same level.

I had not thought of your point about apple pie and hamburgers though, it is nice that we are able to assimilate Dutch and German foods so nicely in one meal. Good call.
18.gif
I didnt'' put any personal value on the choices, I just picked whatever came to mind at the time (after a long stressful day at work, recalling something as simple as holidays was a bit hard haha)... I tried to edit the poll to add more, but couldnt.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love thanksgiving because both my family and his family comes to NC to visit us. I love having both my moms around me. We all share in the cooking and it just feels so comforting to be around all the most important people in our lives.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/29/2005 10:38:03 PM
Author: Scintillating
Why isn''t Halloween on the List?
40.gif

When I was a kid it ran a close 2nd to Christmas.
I just love carving a pumpkin every year - and having your neighbors be so charitable and giving!
It''s just such a fun frivolous holiday.
As an adult I just love Christmas - nearly as much as I did as a child.
I''m a Christmas baby too - born just 7 days before Christmas - so my birthday does get forgotten, but
there is just so much magic about that time of year. So many wonderful traditions.

Scintillating...
YEA! I still love halloween-- the smell in the air, the colors of the trees, the decorations- everything! Christmas i associate with family i dont really want to be around( we get a long ok, but its just a hassel sometimes). Ive always loved the decoprations in peoples yards for halloween--some people get pretty creative (and gaudy haha).

Caribou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanksgiving is my 2nd favorite Holiday....I really don''t have an explanation why. It just gives me warm fuzzies all the time.

My 1st favorite holiday is my birthday!!!!
28.gif

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My favorite is probably Christmas as well...I dreaded it for the last 10 years before I got out of retail last year. This year I am really looking forward to it because I don''t have to work longer hours and deal with all the stress. And I am doing most of my shopping online! One of my favorite things about Christmas is decorating the house--I am 28 and have been collecting ornaments and Christmas keepsakes for most of my life. I do 3-4 trees, all different themes. I have a Wizard of Oz (our favorite movie) tree, a beach-themed tree with Christopher Radko pastel garlands and ornaments my parents gave me over the years from their trips to Destin, FL, an all-inclusive "big" tree in the living room, and this year I''m doing a sports themed tree in the basement because it''s taken me 4 years of being with my DH to collect enough for one tree for him!!! Some people (including him) think I''m nuts because I do more than one tree, but I absolutely love it. It''s so funny because I get a little ticked off if people don''t notice them all and "ooh and ahhh" over them. I''m a total dork, I know. There are only 8 rooms in our house but I would put about 16 trees in it if it were up to me!
emwink.gif

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
i LOVE christmas, I guess I find it brings the best in people (except when they are shopping of course)..hehe.
It''s a lovely time of year..:)

Erin

Ideal_Rock
I voted NYE because I love to dress up more than any other day that year. Everyone looks their best and everything is glittery and sparkly. I''ll usually let loose and drink a little more than usual, the countdown ending in a kiss when the rest of the world just melts away for ten seconds is terribly romantic. I find it more refreshing than a birthday to remind myself of what I''ve accomplished and what I continue to work towards.

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
Christmas is definitely my favorite. In my family, we have a "tree decorating day" the weekend before Christmas where close friends or boyfriends/girlfriend are invited, we put Christmas carols on, make eggnog and we decorate the tree together. My parents give my brother, my sister and me a new special decoration each year that is meaningful to events that took place the previous year or are about to happen. Last year I got a beautiful key because I was moving out after New Year''s...
1.gif

And then on the 24th we got to mass at 10 o''clock or midnight, and when we come back we fix snacks and open the gifts. It''s usually a long, drawn-out affair in which the first person to get a present is randomly chosen, and then that person has to give a gift to someone else, who gives a gift to someone else, etc., until there are no presents left. Lots of pictures and lots of fun. I also have great memories of this because my grandmother is always there and I don''t usually see her much.

Since I''ve been dating my boyfriend, he comes for the tree decorating and stays over for the 23rd (if possible) and 24th. We go celebrate with his family on the 25th and 26th.

After Christmas, I go with my family to visit two of my father''s sisters, whom we almost only see at that time of year. We spend two or three days visiting the first one, then spend New Year''s Eve and New Year''s Day visiting the second one. They have their own traditions like pancakes for breakfast and sweet-and-sour ham meatballs for New Year''s and it''s always a lot of fun. This year, my boyfriend has the full week off for the Christmas holidays so he''s going to come with us too! I''m really excited about this and my aunts have been dying to meet him ever since two Christmases ago when I told them I had a boyfriend... I wonder if we''ll get the infamous "when are you two getting married?" question...
20.gif

So, Christmas in my family is not generally a big stressful affair with big dinners, just a few small family reunions. It''s full of traditions and a very happy time for us. You know, I''m starting to think that maybe I''d like a Christmas wedding...
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results