shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing White Gold with Platinum

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

September2006

Rough_Rock
I have a 14 k white gold engagement ring.

Two quesitons:

1. I am currently shopping for a wedding band. I would like something with diamonds in it. Is it possible to have the wedding band in platinum or 18 k white gold? Or should I stick with 14 K? I think I heard somewhere that mixing the metals can cause one to wear over the other.

2. Is it true that 14 k white gold is less likely to turn yellow than a higher karat? I have only been wearing my ring for a short time now and it still looks good, a friend of mine has an 18 k white gold ring and she has to get it re-plated every few months! I hope this is not the case with my ring!

Thanks for all your advice!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I had issues with white gold regardless of the carat. It''s how it''s alloyed on how yellow it looks when the plating wears off.

As far as pairing gold with platinum, I tend to think you should stick with the same metal for durability. One will eventually wear the other down, but not necessarily immediately. I would think that just about anything rubbing against rhodium plating would start to remove plating.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I would try to keep both rings the same metal. As Ame mentioned, the platinum ring will rub the WG ring, resulting in slow wear to the WG ring.

AlyceC

Rough_Rock
I would stick with white gold for the new ring. When I compare my 18 K and 14 K white gold jewelry to my platinum jewelry, it definitely has a warmer tone. With regard to the rhodium plating wearing off you friend''s 18 K ring, I haven''t noticed any more wear and tear with my 18 K--and it is on a watch I wear daily. I hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results