shape
carat
color
clarity

question about natural pearls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone;
I was wondering if anyone in here can answer this question for me. My mom has a strand of natural (non cultured) pearls. However she recently moved and now she cannot tell which of the strands of real pearls she has are the ones that are natural. How can she find out which are the naturals? She wants to get them apprased and insured, that is why she wants to find out. Thanks everyone.

Phil

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
I would imagine that taking them into a jeweler would be her best bet. I would stay away from the Maul stores, but maybe a high end jeweler would be her best route.

widget

Ideal_Rock
What an interesting problem!

If you don''t get any knowledgable answers here, you might try reposting this in the colored gemstones forum to get more attention from the experts.

I''d guess (this is and un-knowledgable answer
1.gif
) that it would take an appraiser or a lab to figure it out. I''ve heard stories that you can have your dentist xray them to see which have the "seeds" in them, but I don''t know if this is true.

I suspect it is worth figuring out though, as natural pearls are quite rare, and often costly.

Good luck!
widget

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Widget... wouldn''t the ''natural'' pearls be heavier than plastic types?

widget

Ideal_Rock
MINE!.....hee hee...I have no idea!
37.gif

widget

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
oh....
28.gif
Just wondering..

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not natural isn''t plastic... only cultured.

I think the x-ray is a very good idea. Also, when she gets them strung, you can look down the drill hole and (in the cultured pearls) be able to see where the nacre ends and the seed (implant, whatever.. can''t remember right now) begins.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are the natural and cultured the same size, shape and color !?
9.gif
Wow!

Cultured ones are usually allot rounder and larger and more evenly colored than naturals. That should do to tell them apart for the most cases. Natural pearls that can be confused with a decent stand of cultured pearls would be quite something.... I wouldn''t mess with them, but let the appraiser who will test them to tell which is what. And I would not show up to the ER to have pearls X-rayed: I doubt they''s know how to treat pearls without harming them somehow and wouldn''t want to experiment with a strand of pricesless pearls either.

Hope some of this helps
1.gif

Maya Moonstone

Shiny_Rock
Hi

I don''t know where I have learned this, or even if it is true for all natural pearls...but when you bite lightly or scrape lightly with your teeth on natural pearls it will feel like "sandpaper". Pearls that are not real but from "plastic" for a lack of a better word, will be smooth against your teeth.

Don''t know if that answers your question at all. When I visited my appraiser recently I took a string of baroque pearls some-one bought for me more than 15 years ago. She looked them over and told me that it was not worth insuring them since they had blemishes. Maybe if your mother has a knowledgable appraiser, they will know how to determine it accurately.

Maya

samuelnng

Rough_Rock
well if it''s too much of a hassle going to a jeweller,what i SUGGEST is that u grind the last pearl against your front tooth LIGHTLY in SMALL CIRCULAR MOTION,you will feel some friction as pearl are mainly calcium carbonate therefor very similar in term of our tooth,fake pearls will feel very smooth and frictionless.this is one of the most reliable ways of checking pearls for pearl dealers.alternatively,u may try to purchase a 20 time magnification eyepc (instead of 10 times so as to make things easily fo you)look closely and u should be able to see pitted surface area on the real strand,fake pearls will project a smooth surface in all the individual pearl.also the colours of NATURAL pearls will seldom be uniform thru out and certain pearls should have lighter colour shade.fake pearls tends to be very uniform in sizes n colours.

(as they usually reserved the pearl with the smallest diameter as the ending u should use the last pearl for the grinding test)

hope it helps
samuel ng

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this about identifying non-cultured or simulants of some sort versus cultured pearls?

Xray is the only reliable method to id non-nucleated pearls - part of the process of telling cultured from natural (wild, or whatever called). I''ve heard about biting into pearls to tell simulants from culture or natural, but this will not serve the other test.

I am pretty curious about these pearls by now!

samuelnng

Rough_Rock
you are absolutely right valeria101,in order to tell the difference between natural and cultured pearl,the only reliable known way till now is x ray,but unfortunely this method is not readily available in many places,i have another suggestion ,this time use a 30 times magnification,observe thru the drill holes,u should be able to see a fine line appx 1-2mm inside the drill hole,this is because culture pearls use a necleus or bead as a irritant to cultivate pearls and therefor u should be able to see the dividing point between the bead n nacre(coating of the pearl),Natural pearl will not have this fine line as the pearl occur naturally and the colour inside the pearl should be uniform thru out.it would be better if i know what the strand of necklace is ie japanese origin,south sea or tathiti etc?

hope it helps
samuel ng

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2005 2:50:37 AM
Anonymous Wrote:

in order to tell the difference between natural and cultured pearl,the only reliable known way till now is x ray,but unfortunately this method is not readily available in many places

I would have a question... What happens with non-nucleated pearls: saltwater Keshi and freshwater tissue nucleated or whatever makes them without a bead inside. X-ray only shows the presence of an artificial nucleus, no?

Are any differences identified by labs (yes / no is about enough - I know these stories can get long) or the point is basically moot because of the distinct appearance of these pearls etc.

The particular subject is a ~16 x 18 mm semi baroque light silver pearl. It looks great. The owner (not me, I''d wish!) asked whether there is any way to tell a South Sea Keshi from a ''wild'' saltwater pearl. Either would amount to quite a find, I guess. Perhaps of different degrees?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/3/2005 1:41:29 AM
Author: Maya Moonstone
I don''t know where I have learned this, or even if it is true for all natural pearls...but when you bite lightly or scrape lightly with your teeth on natural pearls it will feel like ''sandpaper''. Pearls that are not real but from ''plastic'' for a lack of a better word, will be smooth against your teeth.

This is supposed to help one differentiate between cultured pearls and simulated ones. (Most people have not even seen, much less owned, a natural pearl!) A cultured pearl should feel sandier on the teeth. I assume a natural pearl would feel sandy, also, but I really wouldn''t want to scratch the nacre or ruin the lustre fooling with it! After all, if it felt sandy all you would know was that it wasn''t simulated. You wouldn''t know if it were cultured.

How on earth did your mother obtain an entire strand of natural pearls!?

Deb :)

widget

Ideal_Rock
How on earth did your mother obtain an entire strand of natural pearls!?

Deb :)
Good point, Deb...wouldn''t a strand of natural pearls be very old? You''d think the age, condition of the clasp might help identify which strand is the THE ONE...

widget

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My cultured pearls feel sandy against my teeth too, I have heard this years ago. I wish you luck in getting this sorted, how wonderful to have the real thing
emlove.gif
3.gif
Definitely start with a well recommended professional, you don''t want to get this wrong
39.gif

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone;
thank you so much for your responses. I will tell her about the X-ray, shes good friends with a dentist so that shouldn''t be a problem.
The only problem with the testing of the grain on your teeth is that all the strands she has do that both natural and cultured pearls will test the same.
Thanks again everyone. Take care

Phil

Red Beard

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys and Gals, first time poster. For seperation of natural and cultured you may want to try back lighting the strands. Cultured pearls usually contain a mother of pearl bead nucleus, and when lighted from the back and orientated properally you can see Candling, which is the banded structure of the shell bead nucleus. You may try this for fun, but i would still get a experts opinion.

Red Beard

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/7/2005 8:44:11 AM
Author: Red Beard

Hi Guys and Gals, first time poster. For seperation of natural and cultured you may want to try back lighting the strands.
Hi!

How strong or what kind of lighting have you tried? For some reason, it doesn''t seem to work for me.

Red Beard

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/8/2005 12:30:19 PM
Author: valeria101

Date: 11/7/2005 8:44:11 AM

Hi Guys and Gals, first time poster. For seperation of natural and cultured you may want to try back lighting the strands.
Hi!

How strong or what kind of lighting have you tried? For some reason, it doesn''t seem to work for me.
Hi Valeria
35.gif

I just use a little bendy pen torch, and back light one pearl at a time. It takes abit of playing around, wish i knew how to post pictures so i could show you what to look for. Hopefully in the next little bit i will learn, really fun posting instead of just reading.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/10/2005 7:56:29 AM

Hi Valeria

I just use a little bendy pen torch, and back light one pearl at a time. It takes a bit of playing around, wish i knew how to post pictures so i could show you what to look for. Hopefully in the next little bit i will learn, really fun posting instead of just reading.
Pictures would be great! Thanks for the hint
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results