shape
carat
color
clarity

Need any help. New to this!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Married2aMarine

Rough_Rock
I have been married for going on 6 years in Jan. I am looking into getting the ring that I want now. Since at the time my husband and I got married it was in the court house and done on a holiday becasue he was home. (he is in the military so he was gone quite often.) We were not going to buy rings becasue we couldnt afford it than. His mother said she would pay for them so we picked something cheap and also didnt look bad. Not what I wanted though. We now can buy the ring that I want but now that we are looking well I am looking I am getting more and more confused.
I have been to Robbins Brothers and like them so far because they are very helpful. (sofar) But I know I need to look around at other places. I had my mind made up on the cut that I wanted I wanted a princess cut. I have looked at the pictures of all the rings posted here and there are more round diamonds and I am starting to like the way they look also. So I am not sure what cut to go for. But I want something that looks dainty and elegant, not to big but not to small. So I am not sure what carat weight to go for. We have figured about 4000.00-5000.00 is what we will pay for the center stone. I am not sure what size of a diamond that would get us probebly about 1 carat. I think.
I never knew that there was so much to buying a diamond! but I want to learn as much as I can before I hand over any money.
I know that everyone had their own opinion but what would be a very elgant and dainty cut? the round, princess, or box radiant?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
When I think of the one carat size ... "dainty" brings to mind Marquise or Heart shaped stones and "elegant" I think of Emeralds & Asschers. Just shows how personal stone-pickin' is. When you looked at princesses & rounds in person, did you try on 1ct stones on your hand? I'm a firm believer in the "hand" test before picking a shape to buy.

My friend has a light canary yellow square radient with flanking white princess side stones in an engraved antiqueish setting and it is the most beautiful, most "dainty" ring I've seen in person. I also saw a round, halo-ed pave ring ... probably .75-1ct center that also looked very "dainty" on the gal it was on.

Couple ideas for ya ...

ETA: check out GOODOLDGOLD.com's home page full of different shapes you won't see in most local stores. I particularly like Flanders & Lucere, very dainty but brilliant like rounds.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Boy, my first thought was an emerald cut but I don''t think anyone can tell you what shape to get. The only way to figure this out for yourself is to try on about a million diamonds. Go to all kinds of stores, even stores you might not be interested in buying from and just try them all on. See what look best on your fingers. What size finger do you have? Are your fingers long or short?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also read the tutorials here on cut. No matter what shape you buy you will want the stone to have an excellent cut. I agree go try on all different shapes and see which one speaks to you. Good luck!!

Married2aMarine

Rough_Rock
My ring size is 6.5 and my fingers are long I guess. I have been told as a child I have piano fingers. what ever that means.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
each shape has its own attributes. what do you want people to notice about your ring when they see it?...the shape?...the sparkle? what is most important to you?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2005 1:34:15 PM
Author: Married2aMarine
definatly the sparkle!
go with a well cut round. the sparkle is unmatched.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sparkle = ideal cut round (IMO) ... though square H&A or other brilliant cuts would be good too.

Married2aMarine

Rough_Rock
I have noticed that the sparkle is amazing in the pictures of the round cut vs. the princess.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love a well cut round any day of the week. The sparkle is amazing and you don''t get tired of it. JMHO.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2005 1:46:06 PM
Author: kaleigh
I love a well cut round any day of the week. The sparkle is amazing and you don''t get tired of it. JMHO.
yep yep

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results