shape
carat
color
clarity

Considering Cartier watch... need info and advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I posted earlier with questions regarding which brand(s) of luxury watch will hold their value over time. Of the recommendations provided, I''ve become partial to the Cartier Tank Francaise ladies watch (in steel, not gold! lol)

A few questions:

- I can only afford the steel model, but would also like diamonds. Has anyone seen if its made this way? (I''ve seen the 18k white gold model with diamonds.)
- If I purchased the plain steel watch, but had diamonds custom added by a jeweler, would that "ruin" the watch''s value somehow? Or make an appraiser suspect it''s a fake?
- I heard it was better to buy a luxury watch that is mechanical vs quartz (ie: holds up better over time). But the Cartier watches all seem to be quartz... is this an issue?
- Should all new Cartier watches (or other luxury watches) come with "papers"? What are the papers about?
- If I buy a used watch, what sort of "papers" should I ensure are included in the sale?
- Can I safely buy online? What should I look out for?

Thanks for any info anyone can provide!!

Anne
aka the watch newbie

bettyann

Rough_Rock
Hi Anne,
I prefer mechanical watches, automatic if possible. Cartier often says a quartz watch "needs to be cleaned" when you take it in for a new battery, and they charge a ridiculous amount for this. I have never had trouble with a mechanical Cartier.
If you add "after market" diamonds, Cartier will probably refuse to service the watch, which could be a problem.
Knock off watches have taken a quantum leap up in their ability to fool people. Okay ,if you want a knock off, BAD if you buy a knock off thinking it is the real thing.
I would buy the nicest Cartier I could afford, from a reputable dealer. Neiman Marcus will discount a Cartier (provided it is not the hottest, hard to get model) and provide after sale service.
Good luck.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Here''s mine. It was a gift from my hubby for my 30th birthday - 16 years ago. The watch still runs (though needs a new battery). It keeps far better time than my mechanical Rolex. I stopped wearing the Cartier for every day as it''s not practical for gardening, washing dishes, etc. For service, I send it straight to Cartier Watch Service Center at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport area. I have had it cleaned ONCE & the battery changed numerous times. Any Cartier store will change the for a very nominal charge. Mine is the classic TANK. I don''t believe that Cartier actually makes their watches like Rolex. I''ve loved the watch for years. It has retained good to very good value.

I do not know if Cartier makes a diamond watch.

cart.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Anne...

I sincerely hope Rodentman sees your query and chimes in here. He occasionally posts on PS and seems to know a great deal about watches, and where to buy them. He's a collector himself. Perhaps you should PM him...

I'm attaching a picture of a Cartier Tank Francaise with diamonds...it's gold, but I strongly suspect they make them in stainless steal, too.

Regarding quartz vs mechanical...I know that most true watch nuts scorn quartz movements. It's true that the intrinsic value of a fine watch lies in that tiny, intricate little timekeeping "machine" inside....that with a high-end quartz watch, you're only getting the label, the casing and a battery....and paying too much for them.

That being said...I'm not a true watch nut and I LOVE the convenience and accuracy of quartz watches, and am very happy with my high-end quartz watch, and would buy one again.

I know that there are real values to be had out there in the "formerly owned" market...but it is VITAL that you know and trust the vendor.

RODENTMAN...WHERE ARE YOU???

1.gif
Hope this helps...
widget

ETA: My quartz watch is a Patek, and I've had my local jeweler change the battery for a nominal fee....

unt8y53lo.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/29/2005 9:44:07 AM
Author: fire&ice
Here''s mine. It was a gift from my hubby for my 30th birthday - 16 years ago. The watch still runs (though needs a new battery). It keeps far better time than my mechanical Rolex. I stopped wearing the Cartier for every day as it''s not practical for gardening, washing dishes, etc. For service, I send it straight to Cartier Watch Service Center at the Dallas Fort Worth Airport area. I have had it cleaned ONCE & the battery changed numerous times. Any Cartier store will change the for a very nominal charge. Mine is the classic TANK. I don''t believe that Cartier actually makes their watches like Rolex. I''ve loved the watch for years. It has retained good to very good value.

I do not know if Cartier makes a diamond watch.
F&I
i had the same watch except mine was mechanical.lost it in a robbery 10 yrs ago.
7.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Anne
go check out Jaeger-Le Coultre or JLC for short, beautiful watches
30.gif
ex price for a quality watch.

luckyhonu

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a Tank Francaise Midsize and Santos 18K and SS. Both are quartz and still work for me. I think watch aficionados prefer automatic over quartz, but for me, I prefer the quartz for the convenience.

There are some places out there that can put diamonds into SS but that is aftermarket and not covered by the Cartier warranty. I''m not sure of what an appraiser would say about that. I haven''t run into any jeweler so far who would put diamonds in a SS watch. If you do, let me know!

Dancing Fire mentioned JLC watches, and they are beautiful, but if you have your heart set on a Cartier, then get one. I am on the hunt for a Cartier Panthere SS which they have discontinued in the midsize myself. Maybe one day I''ll even get the Roadster.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results