shape
carat
color
clarity

need some answers pls

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

baboon

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I''ve been searching for an engagement ring for my gf but I need help understanding some diamond concepts. Pls help me.
I''m after a round brilliant ideal cut, e, vvs1, with hearts n arrows.

1) Does a diamond with hearts n arrows automatically means it''s an ideal cut?

2) Many of the diamonds that I''ve looked at only has a GIA cert. How would I know by only looking at the GIA that the diamond is an ideal cut? Don''t I need to get the crown and pavillion angles? And if so, how would I go about getting them?

3) Most jewelers show me a certificate (either GIA or IGI), then they let me look at the hearts and arrows under the viewer. What else do I need to know or find out from the jeweler other than those mentioned above. What I''ve been doing so far is to make sure the table and depth percentages is in between the ideal cut range.

Any comments are appreciated.
Thanks.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/31/2005 1:30:03 AM
Author:baboon
Hi everyone,

I''ve been searching for an engagement ring for my gf but I need help understanding some diamond concepts. Pls help me.
I''m after a round brilliant ideal cut, e, vvs1, with hearts n arrows.

1) Does a diamond with hearts n arrows automatically means it''s an ideal cut?

2) Many of the diamonds that I''ve looked at only has a GIA cert. How would I know by only looking at the GIA that the diamond is an ideal cut? Don''t I need to get the crown and pavillion angles? And if so, how would I go about getting them?

3) Most jewelers show me a certificate (either GIA or IGI), then they let me look at the hearts and arrows under the viewer. What else do I need to know or find out from the jeweler other than those mentioned above. What I''ve been doing so far is to make sure the table and depth percentages is in between the ideal cut range.

Thanks.
if the vendor can get you a 3D sarin scan,that would be a great help.

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 1:30:03 AM
Author:baboon
Hi everyone,

I've been searching for an engagement ring for my gf but I need help understanding some diamond concepts. Pls help me.
I'm after a round brilliant ideal cut, e, vvs1, with hearts n arrows.

1) Does a diamond with hearts n arrows automatically means it's an ideal cut?

2) Many of the diamonds that I've looked at only has a GIA cert. How would I know by only looking at the GIA that the diamond is an ideal cut? Don't I need to get the crown and pavillion angles? And if so, how would I go about getting them?

3) Most jewelers show me a certificate (either GIA or IGI), then they let me look at the hearts and arrows under the viewer. What else do I need to know or find out from the jeweler other than those mentioned above. What I've been doing so far is to make sure the table and depth percentages is in between the ideal cut range.

Thanks.
Not all h&a are ideal cut and vica versa. Ideal cut is a set of parameters that someone or company has set for their diamonds. Are you set on buying a diamond from a BandM store as opposed to the internet vendors? Pricescope has great vendors that can be found HERE. I suggest Goodoldgold and Whiteflash.
And are you REALLY set on buying a VVS1 and E? is a budget required for this ring? If you stick around PS for any amount of time you'll strongly consider a nice "eye clean" SI1 and a nice H,I,or even a J colored stone-- for the price you cant beat it, and you'll save money and compensate with SIZE-- (which is really what she wants anyway)
2.gif
Buying a loose stone off the vendors on the internet will save lots of money, BandM stores just flat out rip you off. Just some things to ponder!
9.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I second all that has been said, for a great H & A you need to look carefully, an Ideal Cut doesn''t necessarily mean H & A, as said this is a common term that many vendors use to describe their best cut diamonds, not to say they can''t be beautiful. I too wouldn''t go for a VVS clarity or a very high colour, many SI diamonds are eyeclean and a great value, also an G H I and J can face up beautifully white. If high clarity and colour are very important to you then of course that''s fine, it is an individual preference, but you can get a much larger stone for your money by dropping down a bit. There is tons of education here on H & A diamonds, also online vendors such as Whiteflash have some brilliant pictures of their diamonds and info, also Good Old Gold and I am sure some others, check out their sites to see what stunning diamonds they have available, even if you want to buy from a B&M. You won''t know from a GIA cert the cut quality at this time, I believe this will change in the near future that GIA will be offering more on cut info. As DF said you will need a Sarin report ideally to ascertain this. One last point, on GOG''s website Jonathon has a section on educational diamonds which have great H and A parameters but don''t perform as well as others, this isn''t the norm but it can happen, so also use your eyes and value their opinion as much as that of any paperwork. Good luck and welcome by the way
35.gif

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
when shopping at a b&m add an ideal-scope to the h&a viewer and you should be good to go.
Stay away from igi graded diamonds.
GIA and AGS are the way to go.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/31/2005 7:27:51 AM
Author: strmrdr

when shopping at a b&m add an ideal-scope to the h&a viewer and you should be good to go.
Stay away from igi graded diamonds.
GIA and AGS are the way to go.
Very good advice.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results