shape
carat
color
clarity

Appraisers doing the setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

happytimeharry

Rough_Rock
Hello, after lurking around on pricescope for a few weeks I finally took the plunge and bought a diamond from an online vendor. I had an absolutely wonderful experience. I''m now looking at purchasing a setting from signed pieces. From what I''ve read, most online venders won''t set a stone that isn''t theirs, and I''m not too keen on letting go of the stone for shipping and all that. I''ve read that some appraisers will do a setting on a stone. Since I''ll need to get the ring appraised for insurance anyway, I was wondering if this is a common service? Or is it rather rare that an appraiser would set a stone? I would appreciate any insight on what to expect as far as finding someone to do this.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I have not heard of this before, but it may still be a somewhat common practice. My personal preference would be to find a local jeweler that you like and trust so if you ever need service in the future, he or she will be there to help you. I don't know if an appraiser could do that. Also, is there an advantage to having it set by SP? Do they warranty the setting if they do the setting?

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

It will depend on the policies of the individual appraiser. Many count this as a conflict of interest because a significant piece of the job of the appraiser is to examine the craftsmanship of the manufacturer and setter. Others count this as a valuable service that they can offer to their clients that saves them time and will sell both mountings and setting services. Most full services jewelry stores offer appraisal services for this same reason and will allow you to do the entire transaction at one stop. In the end, it will depend on whether you want an independent appraiser and what you mean by ''independent''.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

dwieditz

Rough_Rock
I do not know of any appraisers who also are bench jewelers. These tend to be two seperate fields of expertise. Do you already have a certificate on the diamond? If so, take it to a local jeweler that you trust (an AGS jeweler is always a good choice) and have the stone set. Then take the ring with the certificate to an independant appraiser to have it appraised so that you can have it insured. If you don''t have a certificate with the diamond, I would have it appraised first as a loose stone. That way the appraiser can take exact weights, measurements, etc. and the appraisal on the diamond can be exact. After having it set you will need to have the entire ring appraised.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Because of our experience in manufacturing for more than 40 years, we do offer setting services along with appraisal work. We farm out the work to local expert setters and we stand behind the work and the safety of the diamond. However, some diamonds pose a risk we can't assume or a mounting of your choice may be one we don't feel fits the diamond safely. We might not be willing under those circumstances to do the work.

It isn't a conflict of interest. We tell everyone the seller of the diamond ought to do the setting work. If a different maker, like a Mark Morrell, makes the setting, then he will also do a great job on putting the stone in place. We do it for those who feel they have no better option. For people in a hurry or for those stuck with a problem, we make an effort to help them out. We don't offer this service as a first choice to anyone and it is hardly a profit center.

As far as it being a conflict of interest, that would a long stretch. We are very content to let retailers and dealers make diamond and mounting sales and don't look to compete with them. What services we do offer, we just want to do them to the best wishes of our clients.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im inclined to agree with Neil but make an exception for Dave.
Despite our disagreements in some areas he is one of a handful of people in the diamond industry I trust.
I trust him not to abuse it and like his problem solving attitude.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Dave,

I understand your position and I don’t entirely disagree with you. I also came from a background as a bench jeweler and am regularly asked to do both setting and/or repair work, or to refer clients to others who I know to be properly skilled. My refusing to do it can be annoying to a client who is anxious to get this whole transaction completed and who isn’t eager to shop for yet another suppler.

The reason that many people choose an ‘independent’ appraiser is to get an uninvolved expert opinion about what they have been told by their jeweler. A critical area of concern for almost everyone is whether the stone or mounting has been damaged during setting and if the workmanship is sufficient to keep the stones secure through regular wear conditions. Often it’s not. With new purchase type appraisals, I see craftsmanship problems more regularly than any other single area of client concern. Our backgrounds in doing this sort of work make us nicely qualified to serve as an inspector but there clearly is a conflict if we are inspecting our own work or the work of our own employees or contractors.

I agree with Storm in that I’m confident that you do both jobs with skill and integrity and I’m not in any way suggesting otherwise. You serve your clients well. I see very little difference between an appraiser who offers services as a jeweler and a jeweler who offers services as an appraiser. In most cases, I don’t see a great problem with either but I do understand why a client would want to separate the suppliers. It’s the same reason that many want to get a new diamond appraised by someone who doesn’t sell diamonds.
Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yes, I do see the point and we are VERY sensitive to the issue of independence. If we think that offering any other service beyond our opinion ruins the work we are doing, then of course, we wouldn''t offer to do it. If we set a diamond and the client believes we have done a poor job, then we have created a problem for them if we disagree. It has happened and it is never easy to settle these little problems.

If I said we never would set a diamond for someone it would be more dishonest than to just admit that we are willing, as a last resort, to help someone get their job done. When we say we''ll do it, we are holding ourselves to the highest possible standard of service so that there are as few problems as humanly possible. We''d go out of our way to have our clients make the diamond seller or the mounting maker provide the setting services they need. Once in a while, we just have to help someone get it done and we say we are willing to try.

I know no one is criticizing, but it is admittedly a bit of a double standard. Life is not just perfect. We bend a little to make things happen, so long as they are good things.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results