shape
carat
color
clarity

Which of these two diamonds for a budget....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
I just wanted to say Thanks in advance. I am shopping for a diamond on a budget, being a new teacher. I want to spend less that $2100 for the diamond. I have found two that I really think would be good but would like some advice.

The first is a .697 carat, I color, AGSL ideal 0, VS2 for $1890 from bluenile. I put in the specs into the HCA thing and it gave it a 1.2.

http://www.bluenile.com/diamonds_details.asp?pid=LD00984915

The second is a .705 carat, I color, eye clean SI2, AGSL ideal for $1984 from whiteflash. It scored a 2 on the HCA thing.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1358914.htm#

I have attached the links to the diamonds. I would like to know which you all would buy. I live in Texas so I will have to pay tax on the diamond from whiteflash, but if it is better thats ok.

Thanks again,

Brett

White flash.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Ordinarily, readily, I''m a WF fan (and generally still am).

But in this case, it''s hard to make a case to not go for the BN option.

Three kinda straightforward reasons:

- Your selecting options with AGS certs aids this, but with the BN showing the newer style AGS cert, documenting light performance, you can feel more assured of its quality in cut
- The HCA in the WF, at 2...is not below 2, per your reporting
- the clarity is two grades better at BN.

WF will win another day. Reconsider if WF is close enough that you could feel comfortable easily dropping in any time for a cleaning and to shop (though they''re probably not set up for that).

Regards,

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2005 2:24:24 PM
Author:Brett257
I just wanted to say Thanks in advance. I am shopping for a diamond on a budget, being a new teacher. I want to spend less that $2100 for the diamond. I have found two that I really think would be good but would like some advice.

The second is a .705 carat, I color, eye clean SI2, AGSL ideal for $1984 from whiteflash. It scored a 2 on the HCA thing.

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-1358914.htm#

I have attached the links to the diamonds. I would like to know which you all would buy. I live in Texas so I will have to pay tax on the diamond from whiteflash, but if it is better thats ok.

Thanks again,

Brett

Hmm. I''m not sure the HCA you quoted for this stone (of 2.0) is accurate - I''m coming up with a 1.6. The IS on it looks fine - I think (as long as it is eye-clean) that it is a great stone for the money!

Have you tried the cut quality search at the top of the page? There are a few more there as well.

Good Old Gold has this 0.624ct I VS2

and this 0.618ct H SI1

These are slightly smaller, granted, but no sales tax!

Whiteflash also has this 0.71ct J VS2 and this 0.702 H SI1 (which has an HCA of 2.0 - perhaps this is the one you were thinking of? You''ll note that a 2.0 is "worth buying if the price is right", and based on it''s IS, it is)

Dirt Cheap Diamonds also has a number of stones that come up, all in the 0.6x ct range

It seems WF has a lot of options for you - it''s just a matter of whether or not you want to pay sales tax. Personally, the expertise and hands on, in person, visual inspection that Brian can give is worth a lot more to me than an HCA on a stone no one will ever see until it gets to your doorstep (i.e. Blue Nile). I''d recommend calling WF and let them help you - they can pull all these stones, and perhaps they have more in the waiting that just aren''t up yet? :)

Brett257

Rough_Rock
I was indeed wrong about the HCA it is a 1.6. With sales tax the WF diamond comes out too 2147.68, where as the diamond from Blue Nile would just be $1890. I''m trying to stay right around .70 carats. I''m just a little unsure of all this, because I haven''t bought diamonds before.

I did call WF and they were very helpful, but for $250 more, I''m not sure the WF diamond is worth it. That is why I''m here.

Thanks,
Brett

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh it's worth it.....
2.gif

$250 over a lifetime isn't a lot. And this is a killer stone - if you don't nab it, someone else will - there are a lot of I/J SI1/SI2 fans in here! I say go for it - you'll be hard pressed to find anything else this nice in this size.

Brett257

Rough_Rock
I have thought about this a lot for the last few hours and have made a decision. I think I will go with something from WhiteFlash.

I''m wondering why that diamond from Bluenile is so cheap...if it seems to good to be true it probably is right?

Now here is another question.

Should I send them my setting and have them mount it or find another jeweler here in D/FW to mount the stone?

Thanks,
Brett

Xman

Rough_Rock

Hi Brett,

I would try looking for a diamond on www.jamesAllen.com . Their prices are cheaper and the quality of service is impeccable

Good luck,

Xman

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results