shape
carat
color
clarity

Photo''s of 3 diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Taken with my litttle 80mm x 50mm (3x2) canon ixus 4.0.

The first half are taken around midday on a very slightly cloudy spring day (today in southern hemisphere). Some in direct sun light, most in shaded by tree or my body (light beige shirt). One is with the flash light.
The second half at about 4.30pm with a blue sky under tree shade.

Smaller photo''s are actual size - so you can tell I was further away - most of the ones that just fit the window have been shrunk a bit.

1 photo shows the stones in the black tray, with my trousers and bare feet - they are sitting on a grey steel bench seat.

Any comments on the 3 diamonds - which in almost all shots are in the same order.

BIC TIC FIC daylight photossmall.jpg

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
They look awesome and fiery
29.gif
(bottom pics) and very brilliant at top! Great Pics!
All similar specs or what?

Beth

Shiny_Rock
You better put some socks on or you will get the chill. I see arrows in the center stone. Does the left have an open culet? Are these examples of FIC, BIC, and TIC?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
interesting demo on how lighting plays the biggest role and how different cuts can look the same under some lighting conditions.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Beth i do not have a reputation for getting cold feet
28.gif

And none have open culets.

Storm none of the photos really shows what my eyes see.

I have looked at these 1ct diamonds (and a similar set of 3/4ct stones) in many different lights. I think they are fair examples of BIC, TIC and FIC (left to right) stones. The one with the best symmetry is the center TIC, but it does not show star effects as well as the BIC.

I will put up their Gem Advisers
The first is the BIC- which has the lightest weight, and biggest spread considering it has the thickest girdle.

But most importantly, it looks much bigger because of the edge of stone light return.

Attachments

• BIC 1.03 6.56.gem
    35.5 KB · Views: 27

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
And the last stone - FIC.

Could someone give a link to Gem Adviser for newbies and anyone interested to do the fre download (and maybe explain how to open the files).

Its my bed time zzzzzzzzzzzz

Attachments

• FIC 1.07 6.56.gem
    38.9 KB · Views: 40

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
They are all beautiful. I don''t favor the first one as much and am torn between the middle and last. Sometimes the middle looks slightly better, sometimes the end one does. It''s really hard to capture diamonds as they really appear in the moment. Which do you favor?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is pretty embarasing... I see now reason to choose one over the other in there.
7.gif

It takes some eye strain to tell that the first from the left is somewhat different in character than the other two which... look pretty much the same. There is no 'best' though - all are nice enough. If these were t be put in a three stone ring
1.gif
, the first would get in the middle to allow the more similar ones on the sides, say. If they are too different for a fine match in person, I can't tell from the pictures.

Perhaps the DC models can show allot more detail (on allot larger images, fr what that is worth) and if anything I will be looking for what these look like when moved around, on a hunch that symmetry makes some difference there that pictures do not show as well.

Patty

Ideal_Rock
What color are the stones?

The middle one looks a bit darker in color to me...maybe.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
They all look very pretty but I have to say that my eye kept being continually drawn to the middle one as being the best looking with the most COLORS shown in the fiery pictures as well as the middle stone looking 'brighter' than the one on the left or right (surprisingly enough)....and I saw arrow flashes the most in that one (and seemingly most symmetrical) which are a total weakness.
2.gif

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did anyone think the background colour affected the look of the diamonds? I did not see any difference except in the black far away shots but that may just be because they were not magnified. I preferred the diamond on the far right and felt it was going from left to right with the one in the middle being second best. I felt as though there was a black area under the table of the one on the left. I did like the arrows on the middle diamond though, is the symmetry better on that diamond or not?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Back from looking at the DC models and turning the issue on all sides:

these guys are just as good for light reyurn, but on a small dot of a diamond picture or model anywhere near real size, symmetry makes tremendous difference - perhaps even more than the last both of light return. The only cut scoring device that seems to catch this is... my own sight and the contrast score of the DiamCalc (which I do not understand all that well to begin with). Realistically, if the scores are not adjusted somehow for the size of the beast, than the comparison between models and that 6mm object on the tip of the finger is bound to produce surprises.

Just IMO.
38.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I liked the middle one as well. The one on the right is very nice too.

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Mara...I was kinda thinking that if I had to pick one, after first asking why I couldn''t have all 3 (
31.gif
), I''d lean toward that center one because the color is most appealing to me (I tend to like a little color in stones), and because of that one shot where it''s showing some arrows.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The colors are D - H - F and are not often apparent face up.

The stone on the left shows the best star in real life.

Again the photos are all you have there - but they are not at all god representations of what you ''see'' in the same lighting - and this is with a very small camera with a small lens.

Please open the Gem Adviser files and make some movies etc.
There is a lot of information in those files - including the light return and contrast etc.
I find the stereo whole crown light return the most benefit.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
One of the differences between these stones is the appearance of more or less facets.

More facets is not = to better appearance - this is a personal thing, and is also related to the size of the diamond as well as your own eyesight.

But I find people with really good eyesight like the effect you can see on the right hand side FIC stone - they like the more frequent flashes as the stone moves.

On the other hand a stone with the BIC proportions (left) will have slightly bigger bolder and brighter, sometimes whiter, flashes and sparkles.

The images show the DiamCalc modelled ''virtual facets'' we would be able to see after we have seen the first and second reflections within the stone. I have tilted the stones 5 degrees - so this is what your right eye would see. With both eyes we see even more virtual facets.

The virtual facets can be considered like little windows and mirrors that let us have the chance to see out the top of the stone to a bright light or dark area in the surroundings. the more virtual windows - the more chance to see a bright spot - but the smaller it might be - and if it is too small our eye can not resolve it - so it = zero.

Steep crown angles and smaller tables increase the number of virtual facets we see. The stone on the right has a steeper crown and a smaller table, but is not leaking very much light because the pavilion angle is smaller and compensates for the leakage we would otherwise get.

VIRTUAL FACETS contrast scintillation.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2005 4:40:57 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

... the more virtual windows - the more chance to see a bright spot - but the smaller it might be - and if it is too small our eye can not resolve it - so it = zero.
Garry, are these diamonds different enough in person for this effect (cited above) to telling them apart?

On 6mm round is it worth hunting down internal reflections? For my own taste, the answer is no, but I can't tell if this is way off the beaten track or not.

It seems easy to love secondary reflections in a diamond that has larger facets and a bit of lickeage to begin with, like this fellow below - but in a flash of a stone like RBC?

DiaGemOMC.jpg

And one more quesion:

How were H&A picked as top RBC in the first place? In other shapes I feel better wishing for a bit of lickeage to create contrast and only a small amount of contrast brilliance. Not so among rounds... I might have understood by now how the H&A pattern forms, but why it is associated with top RBC it is not quite so clear. Sad thing to say, no ?
7.gif

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/17/2005 4:59:27 PM
Author: valeria101

... the more virtual windows - the more chance to see a bright spot - but the smaller it might be - and if it is too small our eye can not resolve it - so it = zero.
Garry, are these diamonds different enough in person for this effect (cited above) to telling them apart? If you look at the second post - the larger photo''s - you can see more bright white flashes on the left side BIC and more colored not so bright flashes on the right side stone (maybe?).

And one more quesion:

How were H&A picked as top RBC in the first place? In other shapes I feel better wishing for a bit of lickeage to create contrast and only a small amount of contrast brilliance. Not so among rounds... I might have understood by now how the H&A pattern forms, but why it is associated with top RBC it is not quite so clear. Sad thing to say, no ?
7.gif

A done to death seperate topic. Not for this discsiion.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/17/2005 5:49:09 PM

Date: 10/17/2005 4:59:27 PM
Author: valeria101

Garry, are these diamonds different enough in person for this effect (cited above) to telling them apart? If you look at the second post - the larger photo's - you can see more bright white flashes on the left side BIC and more colored not so bright flashes on the right side stone (maybe?).

This does not hold for all the pictures (or the majority). The DC models should help with this... I'll surely give it a try again. Perhaps knowing what to look for is critical for this one too.

And one more quesion:

A done to death seperate topic. Not for this discusion.

Ok, must have missed that somehow. Even if I am thinking of something slightly different than the record, I'll give up for now.
34.gif

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results