shape
carat
color
clarity

No Upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

soulsis

Shiny_Rock
How many of you are dead set against getting an upgrade? My DF will buy me tons of other jewels but doesn''t believe that you should change your original ring.

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
My husband doesn''t want me to upgrade but said if I really want to than the choice is mine. He bought a new boat, tons of hunting and fishing equipmet...If this is what I enjoy, than hey, why not??
36.gif

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 6:28:22 PM
Author:soulsis
How many of you are dead set against getting an upgrade? My DF will buy me tons of other jewels but doesn''t believe that you should change your original ring.

35.gif
My husband professes not to believe in upgrades; he''s pretty sentimental like that. I, on the other hand, claim to be less sentimental and say that I wouldn''t mind upgrading, but I think when it comes down to it, I don''t think I could give away the original diamond. I respect his opinion on not upgrading (although he may change his mind eventually, as he usually ends up giving in to me
2.gif
); it''s definitely made easier by knowing that he''s not opposed to buying me MORE diamonds in the future
9.gif

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
My FI is dead set against upgrading the ring or stone. He says he may budge on the setting, but not the stone. Which is fine with me (for now lol). In the end, we both agree that if we want to upgrade the wedding set in the future, we will only do so when we can afford to purchase another diamond and setting without trading in my current diamond.

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t want to upgrade (I say this now...). I''d rather put the cash into some sizeable martini studs, a cushion RHR, a couple diamond pendants, a cute bracelet, maybe some dangly earrings..... you get the picture. I love my setting and it would look weird with a larger diamond, and I don''t desire to cover my finger with one big diamond (lots of little ones, completely different story
18.gif
).

But that''s just me.
1.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
My husband didn''t have a problem with the notion of upgrading, but I wasn''t as wild on it.

If we hadn''t been able to get our stone, I may feel differently, but I''m so taken with the stone we did get that nothing else would have quite the same meaning for me. No upgrade here...there are plenty of other pieces to wear!

orangevixen

Shiny_Rock
My husband doesn''t want me to upgrade my original solitaire... So after 2 years of marraige I decided to upgrade my setting to a 3-stone. It''s a basic stuller setting, so my next ''upgrade'' will be to the ritani endless love 3-stone setting, or maybe a custom Leon 3-stone setting. As long as I keep my original stone, he could care less how it''s set. This could be dangerous. By the time I''m done changing settings, he may as well have bought me the 2 carat solitaire I wanted in the first place!

qtiekiki

Ideal_Rock
My Fiance isn''t at all against a possible upgrade in the future. I guess he is thinking that the value of the original diamond will be put toward the upgrade, so he didn''t lose money. He is very much into all the financial things. I don''t think I want an upgrade; I rather have another diamond or more diamonds. hehe

CdnBlingGal

Brilliant_Rock
My dh isn''t at all against upgrading. He rolls his eyes
20.gif
but in the end, he lets me do what I want within $$ limits. I''m the most indecisive person (I kid you not) and it does not take a whole lot to sway me to upgrade or change my blings. He''smore open to upgrading now since he knows that I''m quite educated, thanks to everyone here at PS
36.gif
and also we''re investing in only top quality diamonds and not ''junk'' in exception to my acquired RHR that I will be returning.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
It depends on how much sentimental value is invested in the ring. Some men put months of research and thought into buying the diamond and the setting for their fiance''s ring. They put a lot of thought into the proposal and get family and friends in on it. With all that investment, I think it really would be a shame to upgrade if it, especially if it were necessary to sell or trade the original.

I did upgrade, but my memory is more like, "Well, okay, I guess we should go buy a ring..." We were just very matter of fact about getting married. I simply wanted an engagment ring because that''s what you do when you get engaged. (We didn''t have a big wedding either, we wanted to save the money for our house). Perhaps that is why I have devoted so much energy and time into the upgrade -- we just didn''t do it the first time around.

I think I would have a much, much harder time leaving our house and "upgrading" it. We have so many memories here and there is so much sentimental value in our home. And I have one of the sweetest, kindest, lovingest husbands ever. I would NEVER UPGRADE HIM!!! He''s the best.

jkchan

Rough_Rock
Whatever makes you and your husband the most comfortable is what you should do. A diamond ring or an expensive car is not something you can enjoy if you''re feeling guilty about it.

I personally don''t have anything against upgrades. I just received my 2nd upgrade after being married for almost 35 years. My first wedding set had a .38 round diamond with a matching wedding band. The center stone fell out after 15 years. Then my husband picked out a 1.10 ct. marquis that I had set with round diamonds in a channel setting. I loved this ring, but alas, the stones became so loose in the setting that our jeweler said they couldn''t be reset. I didn''t wear it for almost two years (wore another eternity ring instead). My husband recently purchased my dream stone, a 3.02 ct. Oval with 1.04 cts (marqus and baguettes) set in platinum. I love this ring! I still have my original set (minus the center stone) and will have the marquis and side stones set into a pendant.

Diamonds or not, I wouldn''t trade the wonderful years my husband has given me since I was 18 year old, plus our two wonderful daughters and grandchildren. I always say that some of the best years we''ve had were the early ones when we lived from paycheck to paycheck and had to take turns eating at our parents'' homes a couple of weeks after payday.

Cherish what you have - but true happiness is what''s in your heart.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
There will definitely be another ring for me- however, I wouldn''t EXACTLY call it an upgrade as my first ring will remain in its original form. I will probably wear it on my right hand, or for that matter may keep my original ring on my left hand and wear the new big rock on the right! I don''t think I could ever give up the ring he asked me to marry him with though
1.gif

woobug02

Ideal_Rock
wooo, I too kept my first stone and setting. However, the stone is very very small and we had it put in a ring of his, when he surprised me on our 5th anniversary with a larger stone. We have now been married 21 years and I had to beg for an upgrade. I think he was against it more due to financial reasons (my taste in jewlery has changed and so have my specs.) than the emotional side of things. :) Of course, those thoughts don''t enter his mind when he is changing toys (4wheelers, motorcycles and trucks) every couple of year. He did let me get a new set but I ended up settling and had to have it redone with in six months. That first set is special so make sure you get what you REALLY want the second time or you will regret the change. Do what you want but keep your original set. If you don''t then someday you might wish you had.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
We upgraded, but my original set is in the safety deposit box. I could never part with it, especially as it is a family stone. It will be passed down to our son.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Soulsis, I guess it depends on what you mean by "upgrade". Is it trading in your current e-ring to buy another one or is it buying another e-ring in addition to your existing e-ring? If you're buying a new e-ring and keeping your existing one, that should be OK with your husband for sentimental reasons, right?

I've been fortunate enough to have 2 upgrades still keeping my first 2 e-rings so my husband doesn't get too upset with me not wearing my original rings daily
9.gif

melsc1

Rough_Rock
We upgraded, but kept my original stone and had it put in a bezel pendant setting. I wear it almost everyday, so I don''t feel bad about the upgrade (I''m pretty sentimental).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results