shape
carat
color
clarity

What is FL and FL color?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hello!

I''m doing some online searches for radiant cut diamonds, and I''ve found some that say their color is "FL" or "FY." Can anyone tells me what this means? I don''t understand where they fit on the traditional color range of D-M. Thanks!

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve never heard of FL for color...the only thing I can think of is that they are referring to the color "D" which is considered "Flawless" in color, which hence would give you a "FL" abbreviation...although this IS misleading...

You can see the "FL" abbreviation for clarity, meaning "Flawless" as well...this is much more accepted.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The GIA grading scale for diamonds goes from D-Z. Perhaps Fl is an abbreviation for fluorescence and fl color is an indication of what color it fluoresces.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would it be Fancy Light or Fancy Yellow, just guessing here.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2005 12:34:48 PM
Author:ellewoods

some online searches for radiant cut diamonds, and I've found some that say their color is 'FL' or 'FY.'
'Bet it is 'fancy light yellow' and 'fancy yellow'. Perhaps the search engine only allows two charaters for the name of color.

For clarity 'FL' would mean 'flawless' something rather esotheric above 'internally flawless'. It is not unconceivable - seen a couple listed online even.

Shorthand for 'fluorescence' is possible, but why would that be listed in the color slot? Perhaps not. Is there a separate column for fluorescence? Besides, 'FLY' would not mean anything for fluorescence - one could think of 'yellow fluorescence' but the odds are slim and I have never seen that sort of marking for it in a database yet.

Just my 0.2.

Where is this online? Sounds intriguing...

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hello again! Thanks for all of the help.

I am looking at the loose diamonds search on Engagement Rings Direct (www.engagementringsdirect.com).

Here is an example of a stone that says the color is "FL." Notice that in the box that usually explains what the color grade means, it is blank. Usually it would say something about whatever color grade it is.

DETAIL OF DIAMOND

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Collection : Loose Diamonds
Lot Number : 6634449
Cut : Very Good more info
Clarity : VS1 more info
Shape : Radiant more info
Color : FL more info
Polish : Excellent more info
Symmetry : Very Good more info
Certification : GIA more info
Carats : 1.84 more info
Depth : 65.1 more info
Table : 69 more info
Fluorescence : Faint Blue more info
Measurement : 6.65*6.61*4.30 more info
Girdle : VTHK more info
Culet : None more info
Ratio : 1.01 more info
Price : $8,346
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CLOSE WINDOW

Color description :
Clarity description :
Clarity: Very Slightly Included (VS1)
This diamond has few, very small inclusions. The inclusions are very difficult to see under a 10x power magnification, and are almost never visible to the unaided eye. VS1 grade diamonds present an excellent value in clarity because they are typically free of visible blemishes, and they are less expensive than higher clarity grades.

Cut description :
Cut: Very Good
This diamond has been cut and proportioned to allow it to reflect nearly all light as sparkle and fire. This is an outstanding cut with a negligible visible difference from an ideal-cut diamond, but at a lower price.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Here''s another specs of a different stone from Engagement Rings Direct. This ones says the color is "FY."

DETAIL OF DIAMOND

Collection : Loose Diamonds
Lot Number : 6634448
Cut : Very Good more info
Clarity : VVS2 more info
Shape : Radiant more info
Color : FY more info
Polish : Excellent more info
Symmetry : Very Good more info
Certification : GIA more info
Carats : 1.82 more info
Depth : 69 more info
Table : 69 more info
Fluorescence : Strong Blue more info
Measurement : 6.67*6.41*4.45 more info
Girdle : VTHK more info
Culet : None more info
Ratio : 1.04 more info
Price : $11,684
CLOSE WINDOW

Color description :
Clarity description :
Clarity: Very, Very Slightly Included (VVS2)
This diamond has very few, very tiny inclusions. The inclusions in this diamond are virtually unidentifiable even when viewed under a microscope at 30x power magnification. Diamonds of this grade of clarity are extremely rare.
Cut description :
Cut: Very Good
This diamond has been cut and proportioned to allow it to reflect nearly all light as sparkle and fire. This is an outstanding cut with a negligible visible difference from an ideal-cut diamond, but at a lower price.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
I would guess FL = Fancy Light Yellow, and FY = Fancy Yellow.

You could call them at 1-877-342-7464 (Toll Free) and ask them.
Then you would know for sure.

Joker....

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d also venture to guess the FY is fancy yellow, but the FL??? If it''s not fancy light yellow (though I would abbreviate that FLY) or doesn''t indicate fluorescence, I''m at a loss. And usually fluorescence wouldn''t be listed under "color." It''s gotta refer to a yellow diamond, otherwise that''s just odd! But I would call to make sure.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results