shape
carat
color
clarity

Shopping for a Princess

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

CTL11

Rough_Rock
I have been looking online the past 2 weeks looking for a princess cut for a platinum solitare engagment ring. My buget is around $6000.

I think I have my mind set on either F or G color but leaning towards F, and have been looking at VS2''s.

Pricescope is really helping but not really sure what to look for. Like a table around 62-68 and depth around 65-75.

My question...what should I be looking for in terms of length and width dimensions on a 1.0-1.2 qrt dia.

How does this look?

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamond.asp?cid=131&item=309575&aff_id=ps621#

It''s only 1.01 but is 5.78x5.78x3.82 which is pretty big for a 1 qrt right?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Well, it is over your budget...are you allright with that? How much of your budget had you been planning on putting towards the plat setting? Even solitaire settings can get expensive. Also just becuase the spread is large does not mean that the diamond is better, at times it can mean the oppisite. Cut is the number one factor for how a stone looks. Pictures and mroe detailed information are need to give a more detailed response. HTH.

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
What do you want in a Diamond? What is the most important?

CTL11

Rough_Rock
That is about the most I''d want to spend on the rock.

I guess I just want a overall good diamond that is visibly flawless and near or colorless. I''m kinda new at this so i''m just trying to get some input from some people that might know something. I don''t think you can believe everything they tell you at the B&M type stores.

She already has a solitaire ring picked out at the local ''Diamond Cellar'' and i''ll probably have them set the stone if I end up getting it online. They have a nice selection of rings and stones, but there stones are a little pricey. Ex. they showed me a .91/E/VS2 for $6100 but that was before I read on the net about what else to look for so I didn''t look at the cert. too close. It was a GIA though.

So should I just pick a couple out that look promising and ask for some pictures?

Thanks for the help!!

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
It is not impossble to get a nice diamond from a B&M store but there is more promising stones out there. If you want a quality stone concentrate on the cut quality. There are many resources on here about Diamonds and their Light Performance. Do you want a stone or do you want a Diamond. If you want the Diamond educate yourself on cut.

CTL11

Rough_Rock
Here is a closeup picture of one i''m considering. It is a 1.13ct F VS1, depth=72.6 table=70 and dim. of 5.73x5.70x4.14. It has no flour and the girdle is thin-med. It is $5650.

9313001.jpg

CTL11

Rough_Rock
Heres a bigger picture....can''t figure out how to change the attachment.

jjkjkl.jpg

rosey610

Rough_Rock
The specs on the diamond look nice but if you look in the comments section, the diamond has clouds that are not shown. This means that the the diamond will have a milky appearance. The price seems to expensive.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think you have to worry about clouds (see below excerpt from "clarity" section of the diamond tutorial):

"A worrying ''comment'' is "Clouds Not Shown"; a cloud drawn on plots can look so bad that no one would buy the diamond. Clouds are only a problem on SI1 and lower clarity''s if no other inclusion is marked on the plot, i.e. the cloud is the grade maker. Big clouds can dull the diamond".

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I agree with researcher.
2.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Rosey...what on earth you talkin bout willis? That is SO not even remotely accurate. Come on now...and that's post #1? LOL!
1.gif
You get a do-over on that one!!!

CTL- you really can't tell a darn tootin thing from numbers. Both stones would interest me. Boy, if that first stone appealed to your eyes and had a good price and had some good light return, that would be a tasty fellow indeed!!! Actually, same for #2. You need to have a vendor help you...

CTL11

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input everyone!!

The dealer is getting the other diamond tomorrow so I''m hoping that it looks close to or better in person than the more expensive one. We''ll see i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results