shape
carat
color
clarity

Question for Whiteflash

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just did a PS "search by cut" for all emeralds. (D - N) (IF to I2) (0.2 ct to 10 ct.)
It found 15, all at WF.
All 15 are in stock and ready to ship.

Why do only the smallest 3 have IS photos?

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 12:18:11 AM
Author:kenny
I just did a PS ''search by cut'' for all emeralds. (D - N) (IF to I2) (0.2 ct to 10 ct.)
It found 15, all at WF.
All 15 are in stock and ready to ship.

Why do only the smallest 3 have IS photos?
The main reason would be tasking priority: Magnified photos and ideal-scope scope images for rounds, no matter how recent, and photos of custom projects and special customer requests are done before ideal-scopes for fancies. This is because our main sales are ACA and ES rounds - and due to the fact that ideal-scopes of fancies are not as useful in assessment as those for rounds. We recommend ''live'' analysis of any fancy from an expert you trust. Of course another reason may be that the photo guys started with the smallest ones (all 15 are from the same shipment), got through 3 before sidelining it for something else, and never have finished.

Thanks for noticing Kenny. I''ll inquire internally about it.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 12:36:11 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

We recommend ''live'' analysis of any fancy from an expert you trust.
Reasonable. Any way to factor in the liklihood you''re having a bad day?

Regards,

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks John, you have answered my question.

Sorry, didn't mean to nag or give you more work to do.

Also, I was under the impression that since we can't use HCA or H&A photos for fancies that the IS photos would be particulary useful, at least to see light return or leakage.

Then agin since there is no arrows pattern requiring exact on-axis positioning of the camera I wonder if the IS photos can be fudged to make stone look better by just adjusting the stone's position for the most red appearance.
No?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 9:09:26 AM
Author: Regular Guy

Date: 10/15/2005 12:36:11 AM
Author: JohnQuixote

We recommend ''live'' analysis of any fancy from an expert you trust.
Reasonable. Any way to factor in the liklihood you''re having a bad day?

Regards,
I read John''s comment as possibly more appraiser focused than a WF employee...aka have an independent appraiser check it out.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 5:03:37 PM
Author: kenny
Thanks John, you have answered my question.

Sorry, didn''t mean to nag or give you more work to do.

Also, I was under the impression that since we can''t use HCA or H&A photos for fancies that the IS photos would be particulary useful, at least to see light return or leakage.

Then agin since there is no arrows pattern requiring exact on-axis positioning of the camera I wonder if the IS photos can be fudged to make stone look better by just adjusting the stone''s position for the most red appearance.
No?
Glad to have been helpful - and I appreciate your noting this for me.

In a bottom-line sense, having the IS photos could prove more helpful than not having them, but fancies rely much more on dynamic performance qualities than rounds do so static photos are not AS helpful. As for fudging IS photos, I think such a thing might be doable regardless of shape. That is why we and others would like to see standardization.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 6:03:59 PM
Author: Mara

I read John''s comment as possibly more appraiser focused than a WF employee...aka have an independent appraiser check it out.
Actually it was open-ended so that readers could choose according to their comfort level. Mara, in your case - having worked with him extensively - Brian Gavin could be your trusted expert. Same with clients of the other vendors who have a trusted contact there.

For people who are still nervous about the impartiality of a vendor''s eyes the appraiser route might be a more secure one in their minds.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
John wrote, "As for fudging IS photos, I think such a thing might be doable regardless of shape. "

John I certainly defer to your expertise.
But I have one of Garry's Ideascopes and have looked at a few loose round stones.
To see all 8 (or 10) arrows I have to position my eye and the IS exactly over the center of the round.

That's why I'm thinking that you can't really fudge an IS photo of a round.
With a fancy you could just move the camera to see more red since you don't have to worry about an arrow pattern vanishing.
Am I thinking correctly?

Of course if someone really wanted to fudge they could just buy Adobe photoshop, but we are not talking about that.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
That''s why I''m thinking that you can''t really fudge an IS photo of a round.

Well sure you can see arrows when you''ve got the scope on the diamond right, but how much red or pink or white you see could vary based on what your lighting source is and who is handling the IS. I know sometimes I can get pure blood red in stones but at others I see more pink and white. It just depends on how correctly or incorrectly I am handling the IS. With vendors though they have a ''standard'' setup so each stone should be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results