shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help finding a diamond with these specs

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just wanted to say that since I discovered Pricescope last week, I've learned so much more than I knew before. This forum has been invaluable. Thanks to everyone who've helped me so far.
21.gif

I've been searching for a diamond with specific measurements that fit my budget but have had no luck so far. A few have come close, but I haven't found the "perfect" one yet. I think right now I'm at the mercy of vendors' inventories. I'm looking for a diamond that maximizes colored light return but still falls in TIC range, so one that leans towards FIC.

Budget: $700
Ideal/superideal cut
Diameter: 4.5-4.6 mm (~0.34-0.36 carats)
Color: H or above (willing to go down to I if it faces up white)
Clarity: anything as long as eye clean
Crown: 34.5-34.8
Pavilion: 40.6-40.9
Table: 54-56
Depth: 60.3-61.5
Girdle: thin to medium

I'd appreciate any help! Thanks in advance!
1.gif

Kim (formerly posted as "jellybeans")

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know if this will rock your boat, but it is new line, so it should have plenty of fire within a balanced range. I will try to find more. link

Shay

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Shay.
21.gif
I did see that one, but a couple of people said that 35/40.9 wasn''t the best combination, and it goes to a slightly thick girdle, which I heard takes away from the diameter a bit.

I did check out the 0.338 ct. ACA from Whiteflash also, but that one had numbers in both the AGS and the Sarin report that I didn''t like so much, particularly for the crown angle.

Maybe the best thing I can do now is wait until new inventory comes in? What would you suggest?

Kim

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
here is one in the expert selection. don''t know why it missed. it looks very nice. link

shay

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/14/2005 8:13:29 PM
Author: Shay37
I don''t know if this will rock your boat, but it is new line, so it should have plenty of fire within a balanced range. I will try to find more. link

Shay
~Shay~
are teh new line ACA''s geared toward more fire?

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
You know what I see in mine, Daniel, is a lot of big flashes of fire. It is cut to perform well in a lot of different lighting environments. In direct lighting (where all diamonds tend to exhibit a great deal of fire), it rocks the house. Really phenomenally BIG flashes of fire as opposed to smaller twinkles of fire.
I hope that''s what you mean.

Shay

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Yep, thats what i mean-- i like the bigger broader flashes of fire over the smaller, but more twinkles of it. If you dont mind, do you remember teh specs on yours?

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
kim,
you can make this as easy or as hard as you want it to be. if you want to split hairs on superideals, it is going to be a long road. i *guarantee* if you pick a stone that scores well on the hca, you will have a fine diamond...better than most any diamond you will meet on the street. superideals are in the top 3% of all diamonds manufactured. you will make yourself crazy trying to find a ''better'' ideal.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very good advice belle!!!
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Daniel, I pm''d you.

Shay

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shay, thanks for the link to the Expert Selection.

Belle, I understand what you're saying. I guess I need to stop being so picky.
1.gif

So if I'm comparing these two, which one would you all pick?

Diamond #1:
Depth: 61 (Sarin: 61.3)
Table: 56 (Sarin: 55.6)
Crown: 34.8 (Sarin: 35)
Pavilion: 40.9 (Sarin: 41)
Girdle: Thin to Medium (Sarin: Thin to Medium)

The IdealScope image looks great, and it scores 1.7 EX VG VG VG using the AGS numbers and 2.2 VG VG VG VG using the Sarin numbers. The Sarin numbers were what worried me about this one.

Diamond #2:
Depth: 60.5 (Sarin: 60.4)
Table: 56 (Sarin: 55.9)
Crown: 34.1 (Sarin: 33.9)
Pavilion: 40.8 (Sarin: 40.8)
Girdle: Thin to Slightly Partly Polished (Sarin: Thin to Slightly Thick)

The IdealScope image looks great, and it scores 0.9 EX EX EX VG using the AGS numbers and 0.8 EX EX EX VG using the Sarin numbers. I was worried this one wouldn't have enough "fire" because of the low crown angle. Should I be worried about that? Also, do you know what "Slightly Partly Polished" means? Is that a bad thing?

Kim

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Getting every single one of your requirements is not easy! Here are a couple of ideas. Beyond this, I recommend searching for AGS0 stones and then checking out the reports if the numbers have to be that exact, but I would personally recommend a stone that has some light return analysis over a stone chosen purely on its numbers (which are averages anyway).

0.336 G VS2 I think this stone has already been linked

0.33 G VS2 Blue Nile has a bunch of AGS0''s in this size

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Phoenixgirl! I''m checking those out. :)

Kim

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
phoenixgirl is right, your answers are in the light return. a good idealscope image will tell you much more than the numbers alone.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/14/2005 8:18:27 PM
Author: Kim N
Thanks, Shay.
21.gif
I did see that one, but a couple of people said that 35/40.9 wasn''t the best combination, and it goes to a slightly thick girdle, which I heard takes away from the diameter a bit.

I did check out the 0.338 ct. ACA from Whiteflash also, but that one had numbers in both the AGS and the Sarin report that I didn''t like so much, particularly for the crown angle.

Maybe the best thing I can do now is wait until new inventory comes in? What would you suggest?

Kim
Kim
Brian told me,stone that are deep combo.i guess that''s why you will see these specs in some aca.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Belle and Dancing Fire.

Would either of these be better than the other?

0.336 juxtaposed 0.338.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
#1 gets my vote.

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kaleigh, could you tell me how you chose one over the other? Diamond 1 is an Expert Selection; Diamond 2 is an ACA. I had thought the ACA would be the better one, but I still haven''t understood things that well yet. :)

Thanks!

Kim

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim either one will be gorgeous!!!! At this point you are splitting hairs, seriously.
2.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Kaleigh!

Kim

cutes814

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/15/2005 12:52:44 AM
Author: kaleigh
Kim either one will be gorgeous!!!! At this point you are splitting hairs, seriously.
2.gif
I second that sister!

Kim, either one will be beautiful! You won''t encounter another stone like it unless you bump into another PSer.
2.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I really like the IS on diamond #1. They will both be fabulous, but #1 being an ES will likely be a bit cheaper. That is always a good thing since the IS shows they will both be stellar performers. hmm fab stone and cheaper? At this point, either close your eyes and pick one, or call WF and have Brian give his recommendation. He is honest to a fault and will not recommend the more expensive stone just because it costs more. He will tell you which is the better performer even if the ES wins.

Shay

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, Milly and Shay! I guess I''ve just become overly picky since I discovered PS.
2.gif

Shay, I will call Whiteflash and ask to talk to Brian next week. Diamond #1, the ES, is actually more expensive because it''s a VS2 as opposed to SI2 for Diamond #2, but I will ask which one performs better. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kim

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Kim, I'm sure that Brian will give you a very honest opinion as to which diamond to go with. He has great eyes as far as I know. Let us know which one you decide on.
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results