shape
carat
color
clarity

help me find a ring? she has many specifications but will not look at anything

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zolita

Rough_Rock
This is my first time posting, but I have been looking around for a bit, so please bare with me.

My girlfriend is very specific in what she wants, but will not tell me what it looks like. She wants a princess cut solitare with a platinum band, asymmetrical and unique shape. I am having a hard time finding this. When I try to ask her about specific styles, she says that she just wants to be surprised and the conversation ends there.

I am thinking about getting between a 0.5 and 0.75 carat princess cut, but cannot find a setting to her specifications. I found one by Creation Thibaudeau (the plt-165 with a platinum bar, not gold http://www.creationthibaudeau.com/html/coll/coll.html) but it is with a round stone and I don''t know if a princess but would look good in that setting or if it would totally change it. Any thoughts or opinions?

If anyone has any suggestions about any other rings or ring designers or places to go to look for rings, that would be great. I live in Philadelphia and walked along jewelers row but all of the rings looked the same (pretty boring).

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to pricescope! That is a tough one without more input from your girlfriend. I love that Claude Thibaudeau setting, but I don''t know if it can be adapted for a princess cut. You might want to call them or check with a jeweler who carries their designs. I have a platinum Claude Thibadeau right hand ring and I love it. The quality is excellent and all their designs are fairly unusual.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!

There's no shortage of cross-over or 'helix' tension settings like that one. The looks changes somewhat towards this:

helixxliteprincess.jpg

This picture comes from Boone Rings and is Titanium. There are ones in precious metals as well...

50O13.jpg
This is a ring by STEVEN KRETCHMER shown at pearlmans jewelers...

And you may call this assymetric and interesting too... the ring is a custom piece, so it could be done with a princess cut I suppose.

Coughlin%20dia_small.jpg

There are more by this designer (Paul Gross) where this one comes from HERE .

Surely there is allot more out there.
2.gif
vague guidelines may actually make it easy for you.

Try a search for 'AGS0 Princess cut' on this forum... and you might just be in for a surprise too.
10.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Zolita...I think your GF has put you in difficult place! I can understand wanting to be surprised, and having specific preferences if those prefs are sort of classic or conventional! Much tougher (and riskier, IMO) when all you have to go on is "platinum, asymmetrical. and unique"!

Pity you can't convince her to be happy with a "surprise" proposal and fabulous diamond, and then both of you can share the fun of designing her dream ering together!

Having said all that, maybe you could find a designer who you really like or even better who she really likes, and confer with him/her to come up with something special.

Coincidently I just saw this "asymmetrical" Mark Morrell ring for the first time today. He does fabulous work:

widget

PS: Welcome to PS...

mwmktv.jpg

widget

Ideal_Rock
Author: valeria101

2.gif
vague guidelines may actually make it easy for you.
Hee hee...perfect example of getting conflicting input in a chat forum!!
2.gif

widget

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Zolita,
I too am outside of Philly. There is a great store in Liberty Place that you should check out. The store is called Linde Meyer and I believe she carries such settings. She used to be a manager of JE Caldwell & Co a store that I used to work for. Stay away from jewelers row if I were you. Good luck!!!! PM me if you like, I will be more than happy to help you.
1.gif

Munchkin

Brilliant_Rock
Is is possible that she has described it in greater detail to a sister, friend, etc? You would be surprised at how much background work we women do with this whole e-ring thing! I definitely spread the word "just in case," but never told HIM specifically what I wanted.

Good luck!
Munchkin

PS, I like the bypass setting pictured above.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2005 9:18:30 PM
Author: Munchkin
Is is possible that she has described it in greater detail to a sister, friend, etc? You would be surprised at how much background work we women do with this whole e-ring thing! I definitely spread the word ''just in case,'' but never told HIM specifically what I wanted.

Good luck!

Munchkin

PS, I like the bypass setting pictured above.

That is a good idea. She must have showed someone (friend, mom, sister) pictures of rings she likes. She seems to have specific taste and am shocked she would not help you out a little more. I am so glad I picked out my own setting. Too much stress for both me and FI to be surprised. He is anything but a mind reader.
3.gif

zolita

Rough_Rock
No, unfortunatly she doesn''t have the mom, sister, or friend that she has shown rings to. She doesn''t talk about these things with her mom and brother. I wish she did, because that would be a great idea. She wants to be surprised in all aspects, especially the proposal. So, she wants a unique ring but a better proposal.

I like the tension setting rings, the helix thing looks nice. But I will definitly check out the Linde Meyer place.

The Thibaudeau ring can be made with a princess diamond, but I was worried it would throw off the lines and make the setting less special. She has petite hands and I didn''t know if avery severe piece would take over her hand.

I would love to do custom but I am not the most artistic in the world. Some custom places I have seen just have variations on the same solitare or they are way extreme using much metal and more stones. Thought I was interested in one on the Mark Morrell site, but asking if it can be sone with a princess.

Thank you again all of you for your input and advice.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Let me know how you like Linde Meyer''s store. I really think you may just find something there that your girlfriend will love. Good luck!!!

Chinchy

Rough_Rock
If you like the tension setting, I''ve heard that Gelin Abaci does really good stuff with it.

http://www.gelinabaci.com

Click on Tension Collection...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results