shape
carat
color
clarity

Cranky B&M jeweler wouldn''t take my PS ring for appraisal...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Shortly before receiving my ring, I went into a local jewelry store and inquired about their appraisal services. They said they shipped pieces for appraisal to a certified gemologist. They showed me a sample appraisal and asked for specs on the diamond in the ring I was planning to have appraised. So I told them (1.5 cts, VS2, color, etc). They said no problem.

So today I took the ring in... the jeweler who was in (not the same guy) took one look at it and said in a cranky/annoyed way that he wouldn''t accept it because it wouldn''t be worth the risk given their store''s daily insurance amount. I told him about the employees who had told me earlier my ring''s specs would be no problem. He said he''d need to correct them.

Anyways, I was curious as to their "daily insurance amount" and he said $25,000. He then said "and we wouldn''t want to take up 20% of our daily total with your ring".

At this point, I was surprised by his attitude and can only assume he was irritated because I didn''t purchase there (?) Also, I didn''t say so, but we paid much more for the ring than his "20%" calculation.

In the end, they told me to look up a gemologist in the yellow pages and have it appraised on my own. So I guess that''s my next step (I''m in Canada).

Just wanted to share my little frustration du jour. :)

Anne

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m a tad surprised that a store would only be interested in working with clients who have inexpensive things but I guess this is their choice. It seems like kind of a dumb decision to me but they’ve given you good advice in suggesting that you give your business to a different jeweler. Do it, and don't look back.

Don't let the 20% thing bug you. You already know that he's a fool because he's sending a potentially good client to his competition. Poor math skills doesn't make it any worse.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results