shape
carat
color
clarity

Five Months and STILL no Certificate!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Hi there -

Over five months ago we found an Asscher cut diamond from an online vendor we found through Pricescope. I took everyone''s advice and had the diamond independently appraised before purchasing the stone. It appraised very well and we decided to purchase it.

There was one hitch: The vendor could not find the EGL certificate. They said they would contact the broker and track it down. In the meantime, we had the stone set by Leon Mege, we got married, and I am now wearing the diamond. Five months after purchasing the stone, this vendor has STILL not provided us with the certificate! I am getting more and more upset with each day that passes. They say they''re "working on it," but they only say this after I initiate contact with them, and have not bothered to keep me updated unless I contact them.

The only comfort I have is that the independent appraisal came out well. But at the moment I don''t know what to do. I''m extremely frustrated with this company and don''t understand why they haven''t been more helpful in getting this certificate to me. Is this common? Has anyone else had a company misplace their certificate? I really don''t feel good about paying this much for an uncertified diamond!!!

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If you have the EGL report number, you might consider contacting EGL direct and asking them to send you a duplicate report. I''m not sure the cost, but it''s not terribly high ($75 or less?).

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Richard. Actually the vendor says they thought of getting another copy with the certificate number, but they say the broker they bought the diamond from doesn''t even know the certificate number! So this has me even more worried since our stone is now set. I don''t know if they are going to eventually suggest having the stone re-certified, but I will be upset about this if they do. Wouldn''t it weaken the prongs to have to remove the stone? Ugh. I am not happy about this and I don''t imagine that after five months, the certificate is going to magically reappear.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi PG,

All the vendors on this forum, including me do make honest mistakes from time to time and sometimes jobs get overlooked, etc.. I''m not making excuses for anyone but if you call and speak with staff or management I am sure they will do everything in their power to resolve this issue for you. If it does happen to be me drop me a pm/email with the details of your stone and I will begin investigating this for you personally. Sorry to hear about this mishap. You are correct, it should not have happened.

Kind regards,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Im sad to hear they still havent found it for you.
I recall that asscher its a very nice one.

Rhino your off the hook it wasnt you.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I remember it too Storm, it was a beauty. I don't forget beautiful asschers, that's fo sho!!!! PGTips I am so sorry they are giving you are hard way to go, I hope this gets resolved soon. 5 months is just crazy!!!!
38.gif

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How terrible.

The vendor should have told you BEFORE they shipped the stone, and recommended a proper replacement.
Part of the price you paid is for the report.

I recommend you not reveal the name of the vendor (yet), but do give them a deadline.
You want the report, or a refund by X date.

They are certainly reading this and don't want the bad publicity.

Thank goodness for this high-visibility forum.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 7:22:58 PM
Author: Rhino
Hi PG,

All the vendors on this forum, including me do make honest mistakes from time to time and sometimes jobs get overlooked, etc.. I''m not making excuses for anyone but if you call and speak with staff or management I am sure they will do everything in their power to resolve this issue for you. If it does happen to be me drop me a pm/email with the details of your stone and I will begin investigating this for you personally. Sorry to hear about this mishap. You are correct, it should not have happened.

Thanks Rhino - I wish it were you, because I appreciate your responsiveness! But its not you. Its one of the lesser-mentioned Pricescope vendors. We went with them because the price was good and we were happy with the stone. But while I love the stone, I don''t want it without certification. I think everyone would agree it is pretty important.

As for contacting them, I have definitely contacted them on this. I have at least five different emails where I have contacted them thoughout the months and they have written back saying "We''re working on it." yada yada... But then, months pass and they don''t contact me. It is always me that prods them again saying "Have you found the certificate YET??" and they reassure me, and I wait again...

At this point I feel like I''m being told the wrong information and I DEFINITELY feel my issue is a non-priority to them. I''m left feeling like my issue has been put on some "To Do" list that is covered in dust and lost under a pile of papers and has been long forgotten!

So, yesterday I wrote to my contact person yet again and said that I want to be given a specific date that they will have my certificate by. I also insisted on being contacted by a manager to get this resolved. Its been a day, and I''ve still heard nothing (but this is not unusual).

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Thanks Strm and Kaleigh -

I''m pleased you remeber my stone!:)

I am really happy to have this diamond. I''ve taken some pictures of the ring with my camera, but they are far too blurry to post on pricescope. I''m going to play around with my camera and try to figure out the technique for taking nice ring pictures. When I do, I will be putting up a few pictures of my ring. I just love it. Kaleigh, didn''t you used to have the "Harry Winston" type solitaire setting from Leon Mege? That is the same one I got and I''m really pleased with it.

PGTips

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/7/2005 9:31:19 PM
Author: kenny
How terrible.

The vendor should have told you BEFORE they shipped the stone, and recommended a proper replacement.

Part of the price you paid is for the report.

I recommend you not reveal the name of the vendor (yet), but do give them a deadline.

You want the report, or a refund by X date.

They are certainly reading this and don''t want the bad publicity.

Thank goodness for this high-visibility forum.

Kenny -

Thanks for your post. The vendor did indeed tell me they did not have the certificate prior to shipping it to the jeweler and appraiser. But at that time they made it sound like it would only be a short wait till they had the certificate. I honestly thought I''d be getting that certificate a week or two later, and it would all be ok. But now, I''ve been wearing the diamond a few months, and no news from the vendor. Everyone reassured me (when we were looking at the stone) that certificates do get lost from time to time, so I figured that since the certificate is part of the price, they would do everything to make sure I got it ASAP.

I don''t often see posts from this vendor on Pricescope. So, who knows if it matters to them that I''m posting here. I just know that this feels really unprofessional on their part and as I have in the past, I''m turning to Pricescope for help and reassurance!

Thank you all for being here!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Cindy,

There is often a slight delay because of mail and similar logistical concerns but 5 months is way out of line.

If they agreed at the time of purchase that you should have an EGL lab report and this is an important item for you, it’s entirely reasonable to require them to hire a local professional to remove it from the mounting, ship it to the lab for regrading, ship it back, reset it, repair any damage that may have occurred in the process and then to update the appraisal to reflect the new information (at the very least, it now has a lab report that should be mentioned. This is also an opportunity to inspect the craftsmanship of the setter). The dealer should cheerfully fund all of this. This probably won’t be all that expensive and your appraiser may be able to assist in orchestrating it. The only real complication I see is that you are in UK and EGL doesn’t have an office there. If you and the dealer can agree that a local lab will be an acceptable substitute, this will probably be both faster and cheaper. Gem-A is a well regarded English lab that you might consider.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ISA NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Cindy,

Seems to me like Neil''s given good advice. You might consider waiting some appropriate amount of time for them to respond (3 business days?), and then e-mailing them again with Neil''s suggestion, indicating you know they would like to make a best effort, and you''d like to give them the benefit of the doubt before taking any other action, and then follow with a call, requesting to talk to a manager, and refer to the e-mail just sent.

Best wishes,

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Have you received any response?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results