shape
carat
color
clarity

is this a ripoff?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fiddler24

Rough_Rock
I recently upgraded the diamond on my wifes engagement ring...the jeweler has given us some time to decide if she loves it or not.
The diamond appears really brilliant, sparkles beautifully...however Im not sure if thats just because it is clean?
There is also a large inclusion( i guess resulting in an SI3 clarity) that is not completely covered by the prong.
He set the stone in her ring already but said hed take it back if we werent happy.
Anyway Here are the specs...its EGL certified.

Weight 1.15 ct.
Shape ROUND BRILLIANT
Color H
Clarity SI3
Measurements 6.86 - 6.8 x 4.09 mm
Depth 59.9
Table 58.0
Crown 13.5
Pavilion 43.5
Girdle THIN TO SL. THICK FACETED
Polish GOOD
Symmetry GOOD
Fluorescence NONE
Culet NONE

I paid $2200 plus the trade in of the old .76 ct diamond he sold me a few years ago for 1900$.
Is this reasonable??

Thanks!!
33.gif

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the price seems reasonable. enjoy your diamond!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Belle: Since the jeweler is taking back a diamond in trade, they are adding value there too- the price is not out of line- although you do now have an I1 diamond- if the spot bothers you now, it may be something that will continue to do so......

fiddler24

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice!!
I put the measurements in to the HCA and it came up 0.9 (if i did it right)
But the inclusion is bothering me...Im not sure if we will stay with it.
8.gif

(Although it looks alot bigger/better than the trade in)

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I would imagine if the inclusion bothers you now it will continue to bother you. Neither GIA nor AGS recognize SI3 as a grade. They would call it an I1. So, it''s not surprising that you are able o see the inclusion. Does it bother your wife? Could you come down just a bit size or color to get a stone that is eyeclean?

fiddler24

Rough_Rock
It bothers her as well. I think we would be more willing to go down in size than in color...The H color is already pushing it a bit (in my opinion). We definately want as close to eyeclean as possible and I would think at least a G color. From what I am seeing I can do pretty well from some of the online vendors here, but then I lose the trade in value.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another option is to have the diamond reset if the inclusion isn''t completely covered by the prong, maybe you could change to double prong or split prongs. If this idea seems reasonable and otherwise you like the diamond maybe you could ask your vendor if this is possible and might hide it. Sounds like a better i1 / S13 if this is the only visible mark on it. Some can be messy IMO and others can be great bargains. However if changing the prongs won''t help then you may want to consider changing the diamond, but see if different prongs may be feasible first.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results