shape
carat
color
clarity

rhodium plating/chanel setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
okay, i have a "rant" and a question.
first, i''ll start with my question.

the diamonds that are set in a chanel setting, how are they held there (what is that called)?

second, my "rant"..
alright so I bought a chanel setting diamond band a while ago(about 7 months ago) in white gold. (actually it was a present) okay, and this ring was bought at the "mall".. I know I know, but it was a good price, and it wasn''t bad looking at all.
okay, so anyways, i had bought a ring from that same store about a year ago and was told by the manager that i had to bring the ring in every 6 months to keep my warranty valid(because it was diamonds..etc) anyways,
i bring it in today, the lady (who she later told me was the "diamond department manager or something like that
20.gif
) puts the ring in the cleaner they have there, and looks at it quickly with her eyes(note-when looking it was not close to her face at all). ANYWAYS. after its done cleaning, she gives it to me.

I said, "excuse me, arent you supposed to send it out and get it checked out to keep the validation on the warranty?" - *insert speech about who she is*), no we check it here, and clean it.
i told her "well i was told it had to be done, and anyways one of the pieces that hold the diamond(i wasnt sure of the name) is lose, it catches in things...
she looks at it and says "well i dont see anything wrong with it"
i told her there was, and it caught into many of my things (just little pieces, but then the ring has a red/black etc piece of material for like 2 weeks) and i also told her i wanted the ring rhodium plated because you could CLEARLY see how it was turning yellow (agian, ring is 7 months old).
she then tells me"all your ring needs is a good cleaning"

me- "excuse me? you JUST put the ring in your cleaner there, its CLEARLY yellowing. i want it rhodium plated"

she then gives the ring to an associate and tells her "have this ring sent out, to check the diamonds-NOT WHAT I ASKED but anyways- and to have it rhodium plated."
ugh.
litle miss know-it-all is too good to do work?
i was pissed, THEN saw that a delivery woman was standing further in the store, with FOOD.
29.gif

so my yellowing ring is not worth your time because your trying to go to lunch.

ugh. i was unimpressed,

i am also kinda upset that this is my second white gold ring that i have to have plated within a year.
bleh.
(maybe its just the stupid store.)
i''m so agravated at that lady..

i listened to her talk to other people.. as if she knew what she was saying(oh because she worked there as manager for 15 years
20.gif
)

ok...sorry so long, im just upset, and turned off.
but if anyone could answer my question,
i may go searching for that store manager man again (when he did my other ring he checked it with a loop to see what would need to be sent out if it had to.)

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
no one can answer my question?
7.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am not exactly clear what your questions is. If you bought this at a Mall store is it a big chain where you can go to another local branch. Maybe you will get better service somewhere else. People''s skin react to white gold differently. I have a white gold ring that only started to look yellow after three years. Many places will replate it for free so it shouldn''t be an issue. I understant your frustrations but I am sure the sales lady was just having an off day. She shouldn''t have been rude by any means but maybe she just didn''t understand your concerns. Do you have a picture of your ring so you can post? Most channel set rings don''t have anything that could get caught on something. The metal is usually smooth and the diamonds sit flush.

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
As far as the rhodium plating issue, it could be your body chemistry that is causing them to turn so quickly. I think that if you have a really acidic chemistry it helps the ring to turn faster. I know a lot of people with wg rings, and some of them have worn them for years without having to replate, and others have to replate very often. All the rings were bought at different stores and at different times. It comes down to (I would assume) body chemistry. You might have to go to a different metal to avoid the hassle of replating so often.

As far as the saleslady, wow, how impossibly unhelpful can you be? What it boils down to (again, just my opinion) these places do a warranty because at the time of purchase, it makes the customer feel like they got a deal and a half. They are hoping that you don''t do it. You violate the terms, they are off the hook for whatever they promised. They should be making some notation in a record somewhere that they are checking your ring per your purchase agreement. If they don''t, ask for a written something or other stating the date that the ring was cleaned and checked. I don''t think these places require them to be sent out. However, if they don''t have a bench jeweler, they may not be able to fix the channel that is a problem or do the rhodium plating. I hope this helps.

I am just a diamond consumer who got "mauled" once upon a time and vowed never again. I hope that everything works out to your satisfaction.

Shay

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
mmm the question was how do diamonds "stay" in place in a chanel setting.

i usually will buy something from a "maul" store if it isnt LARGE diamonds that would have horrid cut.. etc. the chanel setting that i have is good, and apart from the service, still don''t have many regrets.
i think she is just one of the older ladies who frown upon younger "shoppers". I''m 20, so I assume that most think I can''t afford jewelry(at least from the majority of the service I''ve received thats my impression). how wrong they are.
but anyways, i''ve had great service at the same store, so i will avoid her.

note- there was zero intentions of marking any records.
frustrating day,

so to conclude, i guess i just wanted to know how the diamonds stay in place.. its as though in one of the places where the diamond sits, the diamond is smaller then the "insert name" (which is what is kind of catching on clothing..etc) i dont really understand.. but I assume if they send it in, they can have a look. she clearly didn''t know all that much if even after i told her what the problem was there still was no loop or interest as to what the problem was.

and yeah i think i''m done with white gold for rings, (but oddly enough a wg ring i bought from another store is hardly as yellow-ish as that one)...i''m just so confused.
38.gif

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Channel Setting is the Second One "Channel setting
Used most frequently for wedding and anniversary bands, a channel setting will set the stones right next to each other with no metal separating them. The outer ridge of metal is then worked over the edges of the stones. This protects the girdle area of the diamonds better than a bead or prong setting and provides a smooth exterior surface."
ring_pop.jpg

sparkly_stars

Brilliant_Rock
thanks so much!
i wish i would have known this better, even after telling her that it was the metal holding it (thats what was moved or whatever) she still managed to say "this is a chanel setting, it isnt held by claws" i was like okaaaaay.
Thanks to you all :)
Hopefully I won''t have to deal with her again!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
illus_channel.jpg
Jellybean''s picture!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results