shape
carat
color
clarity

Stuller solstice differences

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock
I am pretty certain I want to go for a stuller solstice to match the diamond I have selected for my engagement ring purchase. The problem is there seems to be a dozen or more minute variations, and I''m having trouble sorting them out. To start with, all I know is that I want a 4 prong setting, but after that I am left with some questions.

I''ve noticed that some of the solstice settings appear to have prongs that wrap down around the sides of the upper portion of the shank. Would this prevent a wedding band from being able to sit flush next to the engagement ring? Also, I am not sure what the different types of settings/heads are. I have seen a few variations in pictures posted here, but usually they''re not identified. Any info on this stuff is appreciated.

Thanks,
Jonathan

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
ilmaestro,

From quick recollection I think you have two major options.

First, the Solistice shank (the part that wraps around your finger) comes in a half-round comfort fit that tapers or a knife edge that doesn''t taper. Here are some photo''s from the Stuller website that sorta show the difference:

Knife Edge

15520615_.5ct_14kw.jpg

No knife-edge w/ taper
17220608_1ct_14ky_p140.jpg

Secondly, once you select the shank, you can opt to go with a four or six prong "Solstice" head, or if you prefer the jeweler can set just a standard head. The difference is that the Solstice heads are more stylized than a standard prong assembly - I like them!

Here is a shot:
15620601.jpg

I''ve got a Solstice at the office w/ a six prong that I''ll try and photograph later!

Patty

Ideal_Rock
I love the Solstice. It's my favorite solitaire setting. I recently got it with the peg shank which has the center stone sitting on a little round "donut" type thing instead of the prongs just going right down into the band.

Here you can see one where the prongs go right down into the band:

135551-Picture119.jpg

And here is an example where the head sits on a "peg." A wedding band can sit closer to this
style of head, but it it still not totally flush. This is the medium height. A tall head might
allow a band to sit closer...

208578-101_0134.JPG

And here are different side views of the Solstice:

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Again...without the peg...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
And with the peg...

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies everyone.

In the third picture Patty posted "without the peg...", do you know what height that setting is? Is that a low setting? Do the rings with the normal solstice prongs allow for the diamond to sit lower than on a peg setting? From what I see on the GOG solstice pages, it looks like only the peg settings come in a low height...

Can anyone give me an idea if there are special sorts of bands that fit well with the normal solstice prongs?

jonathan

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock
Looking at the solstice brochure, it looks like the medium height regular solstice head sticks up about the same as a low peg head (since the peg setting theoretically starts higher up). Does anyone know if this is roughly correct?

Thanks
jonathan

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
My 4 prong solstice is set onto a peg which allows my rings to sit flush...I will try to find a side pic and post it. I think mine is a medium height.

ilmaestro

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mara. If you can that would be good.

Does anyone know what the difference between a round setting a cup setting is?

15620601 - 4 Prong Round Setting Medium Height
17220608 - 4 Prong Cup Setting Medium Height

jonathan

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results