shape
carat
color
clarity

Can you use an Ultrasonic Cleaner to often?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
there was a recent thread about putting pave rings in the ultrasonic. the decision was split. some of the experts said to do it while others said to never put pave in an ultrasonic.

Here''s one thread about cleaning pave

and here''s what Leon said about cleaning pave

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Well, I''m glad I didn''t get one of these ultrasonic cleaners although none of my current rings has pave in it. I just don''t like wondering if I''m going to lose a stone in the cleaner. I know it''s probably impossible to lose prong-set stones in this cleaner, but I like the results I''m getting from my Salton Jewelry Spa and will continue to use that.

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2005 12:10:38 AM
Author: marie11
I teach Dental Hygiene at a college and my colleagues and I regularly use our ultrasonic (actually intended for dental appliances) for cleaning our assorted diamonds and other jewels. I have been very happy with the results, however I think I will review the actual power of the machine vs. the SI machine. I''m thinking it may have more oomph and we should be more cautious.

We use approximately a half and half solution of water and a concentrated cleaner designed actually for use on dentures, etc. Works great.
One of the perks of being in the dental field!
19.gif

I hope you throw out the solution and use a new one when you clean your jewelery!
23.gif
32.gif
2.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Ame,

I do have a little toothbrush thing, but it really can''t get into those crevices I guess!

Tacori,

I am so sorry to hear what happened to your ring. Keep us posted!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I don''t really consider my ring to be pave, but maybe it is, I don''t know. Anyways thank you for all your support. I was just shocked. I only cleaned it TWICE in the SI. I went to the jewelry store where we bought the setting and he was very cool about it. He didn''t even ask how. He also said it didn''t matter if I had the melee b/c they would replace it for free if I didn''t. So that was good to know. He said since they are such small stones and there is so little metal holding it in place it is only a matter of time until one/more fall out (wish I had known before). It definately changes what I am going to get for my wedding band. I think channel set vs. bead set would be more secure. I have to take my ring back next week because their diamond setter was not in today and they have to take out my center stone before sending it back to Tacori (since we didn''t buy the diamond through them but a broker and they don''t want to be responsable for it. Does this sound normal?) He also keep touching my center diamond and getting all smudged. It was really bothering me. I felt like Ame. I thought that was wierd behavior for a jeweler.
33.gif
That''s all the update for now for anyone following my mini crisis (not really but I am very dramatic) You can''t even notice it so it is not a big deal to wait a week. Just be careful those little SIs are powerful!

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Tacori, I''m glad everything is going to work out.
36.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/30/2005 5:22:26 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
He also keep touching my center diamond and getting all smudged. It was really bothering me. I felt like Ame. I thought that was wierd behavior for a jeweler.
33.gif
Yknow mine here does that too. He pretty much picks the ring up by the freaking stone. Drives me insane.

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 12:27:56 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
does the solution need to go through a degassing process? my GemOro ultrasonic needs to go through this process when i use new solution.

DF - this is what is in the user''s manual (I actually do RTFM...
emotion-15.gif
) for cflutist''s ultrasonic cleaner:

"NOTE: If this is the first time you are running the cleaner or you have changed the
cleaning solution, you must degas the solution. Fresh solutions contain many dissolved
gasses which reduce effective ultrasonic action. Although solutions will naturally degas
over time, operating the machine for five to ten minutes before using it to clean will
accelerate the degas process."

/idealbb/editor/cute/images/face22.gif Of course, there are 22 different solutions to pick from....
I personally like #215 - Safety Ultrasonic Weapon Cleaning solution - it''s for Carbonaceous
soils and residues associated with weapons.
Carbonaceous - hey, that''s like a diamond!!!!
emsmile.gif
My guns shoot diamond specks, will wonders
never cease!

There''s also a neat section
emidea.gif
about the "Foil Test" which is a "method to evaluate the general
cleaning intensity and soundwave coverage throughout the tank."

oneofus

Rough_Rock
Wow, finally read through all 8 pages! I''ve been thinking about an ultrasonic cleaner and now I want it even more!

(Maybe I should insure my set first just in case anything happens?
41.gif
)

marie11

Rough_Rock
I hope you throw out the solution and use a new one when you clean your jewelery!

Oh yes!!!! We have disposable containers. and new solution....
41.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of the times I am glad my melee is 4 pronged, I don''t really worry about it in the ultrasonic...and my prongs were just checked at WF a few weeks ago. So it''s 2ce a day sometimes...I am now absolutely ADDICTED to the clean beautiful sparkles.
30.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/30/2005 11:20:57 PM
Author: websailor

Date: 9/29/2005 12:27:56 AM
Author: Dancing Fire
does the solution need to go through a degassing process? my GemOro ultrasonic needs to go through this process when i use new solution.

DF - this is what is in the user''s manual (I actually do RTFM...
emotion-15.gif
) for cflutist''s ultrasonic cleaner:

''NOTE: If this is the first time you are running the cleaner or you have changed the
cleaning solution, you must degas the solution. Fresh solutions contain many dissolved
gasses which reduce effective ultrasonic action. Although solutions will naturally degas
over time, operating the machine for five to ten minutes before using it to clean will
accelerate the degas process.''
WS
yeah....that''s what said on my owner''s manual.i think
20.gif
most of the posters on this thread think that i need to DEGAS.
9.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
LOL! So far I''m safe from that... the Internet will transmit visuals, sounds, touch, but not either taste or, in this case, smells.
emotion-41.gif

I have to admit the thought of making a joke about THAT did cross my mind, but fortunately did not crystalize into anything
emsmile.gif

The manual also says that water should not be used alone. The use of a cleaning solution, when properly diluted, effectively reduces the surface tension of the solution and increases ultrasonic cavitation. The increase in cavitation enhances the overall cleaning ability of the process.

Last night cflutist was in a cleaning mode so she tossed all her cleanable jewelry (17 rings, 12 pendants, and 2 tennis bracelets) into the basket in her ultrasonic and cleaned it in 10 minutes...Oh how nice they sparkle!!!!

Later she did our eyeglasses and watch bands.

She was too afraid to dump my Rolex into it though - DF - do you know if it''s okay to do that???? (Not worried about it not being waterproof, but don''t know how the ultrasonic will affect the mechanism).

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/1/2005 1:46:43 PM
Author: websailor

She was too afraid to dump my Rolex into it though - DF - do you know if it''s okay to do that???? (Not worried about it not being waterproof, but don''t know how the ultrasonic will affect the mechanism).
i use the ultrasonic on my wife''s Rolex and it is still running.you can just use a soft toothbrush and dish washing liquid.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
After all the buzz about 'how clean' etc etc...I took some shots this morning after cleaning the rings in the ultrasonic. For me the measure of truly clean is if I can see through all the melee holes underneath the rings, lots of crud gets stuck under there from lotions etc and just wearing them all the time!! So I LOVE to be able to look through there and see light. Every one of the stones looks like that, so I got a few pictures to show, even though there's no way to show all of them at once..so I just got a few of the stones. Also look how smooth and shiny the metal pieces are also...the bottom of the head etc. LOVE IT. Greg came down and I was cleaning them and he said I was 'obsessed'. Well YEAH!
31.gif

clean rings 0905a.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Ohh, I had never seen the under side of your rings before, I really like your prongs they are very fluid.
30.gif

butterfly 17

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2005 3:09:15 PM
Author: Matatora
Ohh, I had never seen the under side of your rings before, I really like your prongs they are very fluid.
30.gif

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. Very smooth and fluid, but not at all flimsy. They look very strong and sturdy, not like some of the other peg heads I have seen!
36.gif
2.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
DF & Websailor

I dont post often, but felt I must respond. Ultasonic cleaning may possibly damage your Rolexes. My husband nearly fainted hearing this LOL. Not worth the risk.

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Why is that? I use mine on my brietling nearly daily....nothing like a uber clean watch to brighten your day.
31.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
Hi Matatora
There may be a risk of damaging mechanical mechanisms (husband was advised not to play golf or tennis with his) and it may risk leakage internally if not a diving watch. For such expensive purchases IMO not worth the chance.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well I caved in and bought mine from the Sharper Image Outlet. I like that it''s plastic and looks much smaller than the one I was contemplating. Im more interested in it for my wedding band than my e-ring, though if itll get that funk out of my inclusion Ill be happy with that.

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Ame, you will have to let us know what you think of it when it arrives!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Regarding ultrasonic cleaning of watches, I just wanted to reiterate that the SI ultrasonic comes with a watch tray. If used, the head of the watch does not contact the solution at all - only the band. If you''re completely submerging the watch, well...I don''t know that I''d do that. Then again, I don''t own any fancy watches.
9.gif

asblackrock

Shiny_Rock
LOL Firegoddes - I assumed whole lot was going in.
6.gif
We have an ultrasonic cleaner at work (nearly 20 yrs old) and I guess the old ones didn''t come with much.

Hubbie even added operating heavy machinery which vibrated (the mind boggles) was another exclusion recommended by our watchmaker.

synth19

Rough_Rock
just bought the ultrasonic cleaner for my fiance as well.. she''ll love it!

plg_cp

Rough_Rock
Is anyone concerned by the fact that SI seems to have a never-ending supply of reurbished units? If there are that many returns, does it raise questions about their durability/reliability?

Mark

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not really, having seen a similar thing at Fry''s Electronics...if a unit is returned, even unopened, they are not allowed to resell it as new. Some of the ''refurbished'' units are these.

radiantlover

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

I just purchased the SI Ultrasonic jewelry cleaner from eBay (I should receive it next week) and I can''t wait to use it when I also receive my earrings from WF next weekend!!!

I was wondering if it woud be safe to use it on my glasses? I have 2 pairs of glasses...one are in metal frames and the other are plastic frames.

thanks,
radiantlover

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
My SI is pretty small, I am not sure how glasses will fit in it...

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I bought my SI ultrasonic just as ame did, I was more then happy to buy a refurbished one from the SI outlet. I''ll let ya know how I like it.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results