shape
carat
color
clarity

Which shape looks the biggest?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

peanuts

Rough_Rock
say you had a selection of 1/2 carat diamonds... which shape would make that 1/2 carat look the biggest?

atroop711

Ideal_Rock
I am no expert but I think the Round my look bigger....
12.gif

HOUMedGal

Brilliant_Rock
I believe round is correct...

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Round.

Or maybe oval.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I don''t think round. I think some of the fancy shapes such as oval, pear, and marquise tend to look larger for the same carat weight as round. The princess, radiant, asscher, etc. look smaller than round.

E B

Ideal_Rock
I was thinking pear or oval too.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think MQs can look very big. Obviously all of it depends on the cut. I honestly think you should concentrate on the shape you like (she likes) best instead of which would look bigger. I personally have shapes I least perfer and I would never buy them over my favorites b/c they look bigger.

just my 2 cents of course.

ETA: to fix my spelling.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO, marquises look large because of the length (applies to whatever other long shape - pears can be long, say), but they are sometimes rather dull and may not be flattering at all on a larger hand.

At least a round has a good chance to stand out by brighteness, even if it is not huge. IMO, the shape would not make as much difference as brilliance.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Little comparison for you. These are all .50-.52 range. (All same band)
I think it depends on the band a lot too. A smaller band may help the center stone "pop"?

DM36500800_RD_50_zoom.jpg
Round
DM36500800_PR_50_zoom.jpg
Princess

Emerald
Asscher
DM36500800_AS_50_zoom.jpg
DM36500800_MQ_50_zoom.jpg
Marquis
DM36500800_OV_50_zoom.jpg
Oval

Looks like Marquis may the winner in these pics!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
angel I love it. My FMIL has a MQ which is at least a 1/2 ct smaller than mine and I think unless I put my hand next too her''s it looks like our diamonds are the same size.

dazedland

Shiny_Rock
I''m thinking the oval or the round, if you get a shallower (depth) stone it will also make the diamond appear larger.

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 12:53:17 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
angel I love it. My FMIL has a MQ which is at least a 1/2 ct smaller than mine and I think unless I put my hand next too her''s it looks like our diamonds are the same size.
Hee hee. We''re slow at work so I thought, hey why not get some pics here!!
31.gif
31.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Angel, you break my heart, you posted everything except a pear.
face11.gif
Well, it wasn''t that bad, but...
emcry.gif

The mq definitely looks bigger than the rest, as does the oval. I think the pear would also look bigger than the rb, but that''s about it.

freaknyea

Rough_Rock
In the end whatever stone you decide may look the largest the cut(not shape) of the stone has a huge impact on how big the stone looks.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did notice angel that the MQ and Oval rings were posted larger than the rest, so are obviously bigger, but I still stand by MQ looking the biggest. It is a long stone and with the tapered edges so most of the weight is in the center but it still looks large. I personally am not a fan of MQs even though both my mom and FMIL have beautiful MQ diamond rings so that would be reason enough for me to pick one. Pears have the same eye trick as the MQ but obviously only on one side. I still LOVE step cuts even if they are "deeper" therefore smaller looking.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 12:10:58 PM
Author: diamondlil
I don''t think round. I think some of the fancy shapes such as oval, pear, and marquise tend to look larger for the same carat weight as round. The princess, radiant, asscher, etc. look smaller than round.

i agree....

maybe this will help...download this pdf and print at 100% size.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/jewelry/102-8897632-2550509?popup=common,actual-diamond-size

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
J- that is awesome. I love it! I am sure it will be very helpful for people.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
your welcome - i don''t know where i stumpled upon that thing!

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/29/2005 4:32:59 PM
Author: jcrow
your welcome - i don''t know where i stumpled upon that thing!

i guess i should have said "how" not "where." LOL.

molly3795

Rough_Rock
I vote for pear and was also hoping to see an example in the pic comparison..MQ also looks big, but I love pears!! good luck!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pear, Oval, Marquis or Emerald. The length is kind of illusional.

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Can't answer that. As stated above, it all depends on the cut and proportions of each stone. You could have a really deep round next to a shallow large table princess...get what I'm saying...And in any event, the 1/2 carat princess and other fancy will cost less than the 1/2 carat round...so for the same money you could get a larger princess in carat weight...and assuming it's a fabulous brilliant fancy such as a princess with the same diameter as the round, the princess will look bigger even considering how light return may help to make a stone look larger...

peanuts

Rough_Rock
that chart is great--thank you all so much!!

Angel7

Brilliant_Rock
Oh dear god I'm so sorry!! I was getting tired and yes, some pics seem to look bigger than others.
Sorry.
emembarrassed.gif
I know it's too late but, ere's your pear.
21.gif

Oh and FireGoddess-If it looked anything like your pear I wouldn't have forgotten. It's beautiful!
30.gif

DM36500800_PS_50_zoom.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
face23.gif
face23.gif
emlove.gif
face23.gif
face23.gif

Thanks Angel!
emotion-5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results