shape
carat
color
clarity

VSB fluorescence, but colorless and ID/ID/ID?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

daveman

Rough_Rock
I''m a newbie to this forum, but my girlfriend and I have done quite a bit of research before beginning our diamond shopping. Unfortunately, I knew nothing about the evils of fluorescence until I found this forum today. :(

Here are the specs on the diamond I just purchased from bluenile.com:

Shape/Style: Round Brilliant
Measurements: 7.39 - 7.46 x 4.63mm

Cut Grade: AGS Ideal 0
Light Performance: 0
Proportion Factors: 0
Finish: 0
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Color Grade: AGS 0 (D)
Clarity Grade: AGS3 (VS1)
Carat Weight: 1.567 cts.
Comments: Fluorescence: Very Strong Blue

My expectation is that my girlfriend''s ring will compare favorably to those of her friends, who are mostly doctors (she''s an MD herself) and other well-educated, well-off women with very nice diamonds. Ladies don''t sit around comparing certificates (or do they?), they sit around and compare RINGS. From my very limited reading/knowledge thus far, fluorescence only rears its ugly head in natural sunlight, not under indoor lighting situations. Is this true?

I guess I have the bluenile 30-day return policy, but I really fell in love with this diamond and thought that this was "the one." I hope I know what I''m looking for when I closely examine it under the sunlight. I don''t have any other diamonds to compare it to, so I''m afraid I might miss something if this diamond is truly sub-par.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Daveman,

You're too funny. I'm a med student and just got engaged. My diamond has medium blue flourescence which I SPECIFICALLY CHOSE because of the flourescence! I loved the way it looks, and actually try to find lighting where it can rear it's ugly head
9.gif
So no, I don't feel bad next to other med students and their diamonds, or other doctors that are married which are my teachers. If any thing I've had MAJOR compliments on my ring+ stone (and it's smaller then your stone by the way!)

The only negative thing I've been told that strong flour can sometimes make the diamond look MILKY. Although I also read somewhere that this effect was extremely unlikely.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I''m another fluoroescence lover here. After comparing many diamonds with and without, I always gravitate to those with, but it''s a personal opinion. If you felt this diamond was "the one" before noticing the fluorescence notation, then it is probably still "the one." You do have a return policy, so I''d get the stone and make your decision based on what your eyes see.

I don''t know how Blue Nile works. Do they have the stone in house? If so, maybe a phone call to have someone eyeball it for you would help to ease your mind. It is true that fluorescence can make a stone oily/milky, but I think it is a very rare occurrence like Allycat said. In my opinion, a D colored stone with strong blue fluorescence will probably light up the room!!!
30.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto the previous responses.
Fluorescent diamonds used to be PRICIER and more coveted than non-fluorescent stones.
I adore my strong blue, it is my favorite stone. It has pop and character. The milkiness thing is rare. If you've seen the diamond in person and love it, then YAY!!!! It sounds magnificent. Please share pics.

You are so right, MOST people (ie non-Pricescopers) do not sit around and discuss pavilion angles and table percentage. Many of my friends don't even know what color their diamond is. Just that it's a diamond.
1.gif

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
I believe a poster called quariteur (sp) bought a D with strong blue last year. It was gorgeous. Oh, my.
30.gif
Did that one make my heart go pitty-pat. It''s a really personal decision just like color is. I had an I with MB. It was truly lovely. No milk or oil there. If you have 30 days, look it over and then decide. I love it personally. I think the soft periwinkle it used to turn in the sun was the closest I''ll ever get to a blue diamond. Although, I am hoping Windex will work if I use it enough. (for the blue diamond that is) Sorry couldn''t resist pulling your leg a bit.
2.gif
Let us know what you decide.

I will say that I once heard a Doctor say something that could apply here. Don''t ever make a decision (diagnosis) based on what you don''t know. In other words, see the diamond for yourself. That is the only way you will know for sure if accepting it is right or rejecting it is right.

Shay

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results