shape
carat
color
clarity

Cushion lover about to take the plunge... what do you think of this stone?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi all,

I''ve been a pricescope lurker for months now... it''s an awesome resource!

I''m currently working with internet vendors in NY (I''m far away) to help me find the cushion of my dreams. I''m into modern brilliant cushions that are squarish (vs rectangular). I only know the essentials about diamonds (color, clarity, etc).

What do you think of this stone? I''m especially confused about what depth and table values would be appropriate for modern cushions. I''ve attached a picture also (hope I''ve done it properly).

Any and all opinions or recommendations welcome!

Anne

PS - My inspirations were stones/rings previously posted by "reena" and "moremoremore". Gorgeous. :)

Cushion Brilliant
7.39 x 6.77 x 3.96
1.50 carats
depth: 58.5
table: 52
girdle: very thin to thick, faceted
culet: none
polish: vg
symmetry: g
clarity: VS2
color: H
flourescence: none

anneHVS2cushion.jpg

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
No cushion expertise here I''m afraid ... but BUMP! (The pix is pretty!) My concern would be the girdle, going from thin to thick ... are you planning on a bezel setting to protect the girdle from chipping?

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Deco,

Thanks for the reply :) No, I''m not planning on a bezel setting. Probably prong, although my dream is a halo with melee diamonds. hehe

As far as your girdle concern, I think it''s normal for cushions to have girdles that vary in width around the stone. But like I say, I do need help with knowing stuff like that.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Anne

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the shout-out! :)

Well, I don''t know much, but I sure know that is a really pretty cushion!!!!!!!!
18.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2005 6:43:34 PM
Author:anne_h

I'm especially confused about what depth and table values would be appropriate for modern cushions.
I don't think depth and table are supposed to matter all that much. If 'modern cushion' means 'new' than this is definitely cut recently (not an 'old cut' - by all means). Some time ago a certain cut style (probably close to the stones advertised by Daniel K.) got called 'modern cushion' on this forum - but I don't think that name is used anywhere else.

Sure like the stone. If you care about brilliance & all, than the seller could provide some details or you could have it under some 'scope during the return policy. Table & depth will not help with this anyway. The picture is not supposed to tell much about that... and can't either - it just shows a pretty face
2.gif

Is there a lab report saying this is H/VS ?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Right Ana! People outside of ps are like "modern cushion"???? LOL.... I know what I mean when I use the term (a Daniel K type ex/ex) but don't see it used outside of ps.... To some it just means non-antique...I've seen amazing cushions called lots of different things...

I agree- that is a really pretty stone!

anne_h

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi Ana and More,

Thanks for the info and comments... you''re right that "modern cushion" is not an official cut (that I know of)... this stone''s GIA cert labels it as "cushion brilliant".

I did ask the vendor about brilliance, and he says this stone has a good amount. I find that the stone appears dark and greyish in the photo (don''t you?), but he feels it''s difficult to properly capture a diamond by photo anyway.

BTW, I''ve been dealing with two vendors in NY, both of which were recommended by PS users. And both vendors have been excellent... responsive, friendly and knowledgeable. If I end up with a stone from either of them, I will definitely be posting back with raves (and names!)

Anyways, further comments/tips are always welcome. :)

Anne

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2005 2:29:34 PM
Author: anne_h

I find that the stone appears dark and greyish in the photo (don''t you?), but he feels it''s difficult to properly capture a diamond by photo anyway.
They might have actually struggled to kill every bit of brilliance in that picture to show the shape and facet pattern clearly - and this means diffused light... All in all, no, it does not look like a particularly drab picture - just a reminder that diamonds can only throw back at you as much light as hits them and in this case there wasn''t much.

A ''dark and grayish'' diamond in a picture might look like this one below
23.gif
(sorry, the seller set his watermark there, not me, and the price was fair anyway - no complaint, of course). It is a carat or so single cut and I kept the evidence for the nice example of twinning it makes in the original large picture.

120ptsHSi3.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results