shape
carat
color
clarity

Too Cheap? Can''t figure it out!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suemann

Rough_Rock
OK, so I am no diamond expert, but this ring just seems way too cheap. Can someone PLEASE let me know what the problem with this diamond is.

carat: 1.51
color: I
clarity: VS2
table: 69.8%
depth: 71%
width: 6.24
length: 6.28
crown: 13.4
girdle: M-TK

PRICE: $6800.

I know you are supposed to "see" the diamond, but I am buying online and don''t have that option. I think this is my last question before I purchase, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

BigVig

Rough_Rock
The table and depth measurements look way off, so this stone probably isn''t cut to very good proportions... does it have a lab cert? If so, what is the cut grade?

suemann

Rough_Rock
This is supposedly an ideal (or very close to) princess cut diamond certified by the GIA. I actually made a bit of an error above. The table and depth are from the Sarin report. The GIA certificate lists:

table: 70
depth: 70.9

suemann

Rough_Rock
This may also help:

polish: Excellent
symmetry: good

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Princess cut.. sure...

Perhaps the previous answer was assuming that your stone is a weird round brilliant.

The AGA charts evaluate princess cuts based on the numbers you hvae (table, depth, crown height) - if not done already, these are found at gemappraisers.com and in the tutorial here somewhere andmake a good first step, IMO. It would be nice to see this one at least in pictures, but otherwise... nothing 'bad' stands out from the stats you have, as much as I can tell.

Thuis really isn't as much as 0.2 worth without seeing the thing.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does seem on the cheap side. Can you tell us who you are buying it from???

suemann

Rough_Rock
Sure. Whiteflash. And at this point, I won''t go anywhere else. So if this diamond doesn''t check out, I will look for another one with that company. Talk about great customer service.

I appreciate the feedback. Keep it coming please! I would prefer it if a decision is made by tomorrow.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i''m sure bigvig was assuming that this stone was a round, as those #''s would be quite scary if it were. since it is a princess, they make a little more sense and while the #''s don''t look too bad, it''s hard to say how the diamond would perform. you can''t pick fancy cuts without seeing them like you can rounds. if you can, at least get some pictures of the diamond and an idealscope image.

suemann

Rough_Rock
This is a princess cut diamond, not a round cut. My mistake, I forgot to mention that.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Can you post a pic for us??? WF has awesome stones, and are a great company to work with.

suemann

Rough_Rock
I have requested pictures and the idealscope and will post those when I get them. Plus, whiteflash told me they run their own quality check on the diamond so I figure if there is something that looks awful, they will let me know...especially since I told whiteflash that I would be willing to spend about $500 more if necessary to ensure I get a great cut.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/15/2005 1:51:14 PM
Author:suemann

I know you are supposed to ''see'' the diamond, but I am buying online and don''t have that option.
I thought you did... well, at least to the extent that this treatment comes to seeing a diamond - which is better than stats and pretty close to the real deal, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results